Program-Specific Info / Q's St. Augustine Austin Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mbegue1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up with St. Augustine in Austin, TX and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips. What sort of questions will be asked and what sort of topics will be covered for the written portion? I've been doing a lot of research on my own to prepare but wanted some insight from someone who has gone through their interview process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I was invited at the San Marcos Campus, are you interviewing for May start date or September? Wondering if the questions are the same, some previous thread had sample questions, trying to find it, will provide a link once I do!!

Hi I was invited at the San Marcos Campus, are you interviewing for May start date or September? Wondering if the questions are the same, some previous thread had sample questions, trying to find it, will provide a link once I do!!
I'm applying for the September start date. I'd really appreciate that!! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my skype interview with the program director on Tuesday, so I can give an update after!

Not from the Tx campus but from what I remember, if you are offered an interview you are pretty much in.

Know what IADL/ADLs are. Know what the I part is lol.

Why OT type of questions. Low to mid level stress 2 on 2 group interview.

What campus you interviewing at?
For the Austin campus. Glad that you mentioned I needed to know the IADL/ADL difference, because I totally forgot!

Yeah I think my fellow interviewee was a bit stressed and said IADL was independent. It seems like a common noob mistake as I saw no reaction from the OT interviewers.

Yeah I think my fellow interviewee was a bit stressed and said IADL was independent. It seems like a common noob mistake as I saw no reaction from the OT interviewers.
I'll keep that in mind! I'm hoping my acute care background helps with that part of it. Do you remember if you were each given a turn to answer the question, or did you have to make sure to speak up first? Also, do you have any recommendations for websites on practice questions? I've been asking some of the OTs I work under, but they've been out of school for a while.

Hope everyone's interviews went well! During my skype interview on Tuesday they asked if I'd want to be considered for the May cohort, so I figured why not - I was accepted hours later. It sounds like my class is only 15 or so people (!?!) but they're accepting a more normal class size (30ish) for the fall, now that it's fully accredited. I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but in the meantime I've been getting everything ready to accept & make the move down there :)

Good job on your acceptance. 15 is small, do you know how many PT students there are? If they keep the same curriculum structure from what I experienced you will be mixed in with the PTs so the class is not so small....

Keep note of any extra tuition payment you need to make out of pocket.

Good job on your acceptance. 15 is small, do you know how many PT students there are? If they keep the same curriculum structure from what I experienced you will be mixed in with the PTs so the class is not so small....

Keep note of any extra tuition payment you need to make out of pocket.

I have no idea the size of the PT class. It sounds like PT might have already been accredited so they have more students in the cohort. I got in contact with the student affairs coordinator and I was added to the list of people looking for roommates, and I'd say there was about 35 people on the list (all listed under DPT, I was the only MOT, unless the others just didn't specify). And yeah, it looks like I'm responsible for paying the "gap" (about $18k) for the semester. Also, when they asked if I wanted to be considered for May, they mentioned that there were still vacancies in the cohort, so I'm guessing they just didn't get nearly as many people to apply for the summer, which would explain my quick acceptance!

Although I really like the idea of moving to Austin, I still want to know where I stand with the other two programs... One would be about $38k in tuition and I could live at home, and the other is $52 for a 3-yr doctorate at a school with an amaaazing program. I should hear back from them within a month, but I also don't want to run the risk of being unprepared in the event I end up going to USA, since classes start in 10 weeks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gl hopefully you can get into cheaper options. i am like at 12k a year gap.

Hope everyone's interviews went well! During my skype interview on Tuesday they asked if I'd want to be considered for the May cohort, so I figured why not - I was accepted hours later. It sounds like my class is only 15 or so people (!?!) but they're accepting a more normal class size (30ish) for the fall, now that it's fully accredited. I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but in the meantime I've been getting everything ready to accept & make the move down there :)

congrats! that's awesome! I pushed my interview to March 18th since I couldn't make it this past Friday. How was the whole experience? And you mentioned the program is fully accredited? phew, I was pretty worried about the whole accreditation process thing but that's awesome to know! :D

congrats! that's awesome! I pushed my interview to March 18th since I couldn't make it this past Friday. How was the whole experience? And you mentioned the program is fully accredited? phew, I was pretty worried about the whole accreditation process thing but that's awesome to know! :D

I had my skype interview with Rebecca Estes, the program director, and I'm about 97% sure she said that it became fully accredited in December, so from here on out they'll be accepting larger (ie normal sized) cohorts. And ok to be honest, I thought I BOMBED my interview just because it was very standardized. I was waiting for some sort of affirmation after my responses (sometimes I got a smile), and it seemed like she had to re-ask part of the questions because I wasn't explaining myself well. Sorry, that makes it sound like it was terrible haha just be prepared to explain your soft skills, weaknesses, and defend yourself. Not many of my questions were based around OT, rather more of my values and experiences. If you're going to the in-person interview, I think you'll feel a little more at ease!!

Gl hopefully you can get into cheaper options. i am like at 12k a year gap.

Can you guys explain the tuition gap you mentioned above? I'm interviewing for the May start in Austin next month.

Can you guys explain the tuition gap you mentioned above? I'm interviewing for the May start in Austin next month.

I think they just meant that this school definitely isn't cheap, and it's in trimesters (about $12k/trimester?) so when you're considering options of schools, if you have the ability to decide between them, price may be one of the bigger deterrents to coming here rather than a public school.

Aside from that, good luck at your interview, let me know if you need any suggestions of places to eat or stay at

@OT1738

They do not get the other loan program out there. I think it was Perkins or something. I was paying a monthly installment.

Anyone interviewing this friday at the Austin campus?

Hi! I might be a little late to this thread, but I applied for the September 2017 start date at the Austin campus. I spoke with Yvette Shaver and she said I probably wouldn't hear if I am invited to interview until February or March. Has any been invited/interviewed for the September cohort?

Hi! I might be a little late to this thread, but I applied for the September 2017 start date at the Austin campus. I spoke with Yvette Shaver and she said I probably wouldn't hear if I am invited to interview until February or March. Has any been invited/interviewed for the September cohort?
This is random and a really late response. But have you heard anything about interviews for the september cohort for 2017?

This is random and a really late response. But have you heard anything about interviews for the september cohort for 2017?
Yes, I received an email on January 13th inviting me to interview on January 27th for the Fall 2017 cohort. I'm sure they will be doing more interviews for the Fall 2017 cohort because there was a mix of people interviewing for the May and September start dates.

I applied to the Fall 2017 Austin program... Still haven't heard anything back yet.
Has anyone else gotten an invitation for an interview?