St. John Fisher

Started by deleted390966
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello,

I really need an honest opinion.
I'm thinking about applying to this school, but I haven't applied yet and the deadline is March 1st. I am an out of state student and I'm not a very stellar student. I believe that interviews have started in October and applications are due soon, so do you think I have a shot at this school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've applied to this school in feburary they said thru recieved all the information but I haven't heard anything from them,
Science gpa 3.02 math 4.0 other 3.69 overall 3.47
Pcat sucked.... Below 20%
 
I've applied to this school in feburary they said thru recieved all the information but I haven't heard anything from them,
Science gpa 3.02 math 4.0 other 3.69 overall 3.47
Pcat sucked.... Below 20%

I applied in December and haven't received anything from them. I have received interview invites from Temple, UB, NEOMED, and D'Youville. Fisher seems to be very fickle.
 
Do they only accept in-state students or something?


I know of current students from Colorado, PA, and Ohio, but I am from New York (Buffalo) and haven't heard a peep. Every other school I applied to has at least said the have received my app from PharmCAS. So, whoooo knowws 😕
 
They emailed saying they have received everything... no word since though. When did you apply? Nice post count to join date ratio by the way 😀
 
They emailed saying they have received everything... no word since though. When did you apply? Nice post count to join date ratio by the way 😀



PharmCAS mailed my application 12/19/11. Hahah! I am obviously a huge creeper. Did you apply to any other WNY schools?
 
I've applied to this school in feburary they said thru recieved all the information but I haven't heard anything from them,
Science gpa 3.02 math 4.0 other 3.69 overall 3.47
Pcat sucked.... Below 20%

i don't mean to be a downer but your PCAT might be the reason. i could be wrong, though, perhaps consider retaking the test if you do not hear back
 
I got a 20 something on reading comprehension once. Apparently I cannot comprehend what I read (joking). English is my native language (fom NY) which paradoxically, is probably half the reason I do not fare well. I know that I did not prepare for reading comprehension (time was my issue). I think seeing my GPA, my other PCAT sections, and that English as my native language helped to offset my bad day in reading comprehension. In other words, if you have enough to offset PCAT sections, then you may not yet be doomed. At the same time, I do not want to mislead you so if you cannot find attributes that offset the PCAT, you should consider either taking it over again and applying early next year or possible getting a bachelors or other degree to help yourself. Don't give up though one way or another. If you're financially able to, I would go all in every year and give it everything you got. If you're circumstantially conservative (aka broke) then I would look into better financing an undergrad degree to help boost your GPA (if you work hard) and gain more knowledge.
 
If you haven't heard anything and just want to make sure that they got all of your info I would give them a call. They are all really nice and will help you out if you have any questions.

Don't count yourself out if you haven't. I never received a conformation of them getting my material and ended up getting an interview (this was last year mind you)

If you have any questions though feel free to ask away, more than willing to answer best I can!
 
I just got an email today morning asking me to call a specific to number to set up an interview. I had my application complete by feb 15 and Yesterday I had given them a call regarding my application asking if there has been any updates.. and they said its under review.. today morning got an email for setting up an interview... so i guess for people who are waiting.. hang in there.. it should be coming 😉
 
I had an interview with the school on feb 10th. It was really nice and I enjoyed the students and faculty. But I just got a letter in the mail saying I'm waitlisted. 🙁 Def. sucks because I thought the interviews went well.

Hey, I feel you on that. I interviewed back in November and got waitlisted. I wish they would tell us our rank at least, but oh welllll.
 
I just got an email today morning asking me to call a specific to number to set up an interview. I had my application complete by feb 15 and Yesterday I had given them a call regarding my application asking if there has been any updates.. and they said its under review.. today morning got an email for setting up an interview... so i guess for people who are waiting.. hang in there.. it should be coming 😉

👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can anyone who has been interviewed at this school let me know the process... is it a one-on-one and what kind of questions are asked.. Thanks
 
can anyone who has been interviewed at this school let me know the process... is it a one-on-one and what kind of questions are asked.. Thanks

They have you sign an agreement not to discuss the particulars of the interview process.
 
Lol just got a letter in the mail 3/8 that I was accepted. I guess they r pulling off people from the waitlist. As for rmmr, look within this thread to find ur answers. Even though they don't have an interview section on the website, just look at other schools interview questions. Also, be sure to ask questions!!!
 
Anyway, I interviewed March 5, got my acceptance letter on the 9th. I don't know if they are still doing interviews, but anyone who may have one coming up can at least look forward to a quick turnaround time.
 
Has anyone who has been accepted started to look at where they're going to live?
 
Has anyone who has been accepted started to look at where they're going to live?

I wish I could remember the name of it; the current students I talked to when I interviewed said there's an apartment complex right up the road on East Ave where a large portion of the student body lives. A quick Google turned up 1600 East Ave (http://www.1600eastavenue.com/), which look nice but rather pricey. If you don't mind a short commute (20 minutes or so, basically all on the interstate), I've lived in Rustic Village (http://www.rusticvillageapartments.com/) in Henrietta before and they are pretty great.

Personally, I have a wife and child and already have a job at a pharmacy a mile from where I live (and flexible hours for guaranteed employment throughout school), so I'm staying where I am about 45 miles south of the city.
 
I just got a call from one of the professors that interviewed me on March 20th saying I got accepted...one of the most proudest moment of my life.. I am very excited... looking forward to this new chapter in life...
 
I just got a call from one of the professors that interviewed me on March 20th saying I got accepted...one of the most proudest moment of my life.. I am very excited... looking forward to this new chapter in life...

Congrats. You should be 👍
 
Is there a forum or Facebook group for students who have accepted a position for the class of 2016 at sjfc?
 
Has anybody gotten an interview invite recently? I applied right around the deadline (03/01/2012), and only got the e-mail in the middle of March indicating that they received my application, which included a username and password. Did people just call for updates? I see nothing new when I log in :shrug:
 
There were interviews today, actually. They should continue into May, even possibly June? I'm sure they will contact you at the appropriate time for an interview.
 
Hi everyone who applied or is attending the PharmD Program at SJFC 🙂. I live in Rochester and I want to apply for the next cycle. I have some questions for anyone willing to answer them...1) Did anyone take some of the prereq courses at a community college? I have a BS Degree from 2010, but I would have to take outstanding science courses at CC because I am poor lol. Do they accept them from a CC? 2) Do you have to have your prereqs and PCAT done when you apply, or just before you start the program? 3) Does anyone know how the admission competitiveness compares with UB's program? I want to apply to both, but hear UB is tough to get into...maybe I am wrong?

Thanks all, I appreciate the help.
 
1. I have some prerequisite courses that were done at a CC. These were specifically done for SJFC Pharmacy program as I did not take them during my undergrad. I know of three students that completed only CC coursework over two years, and were accepted into the program. I would contact admissions before taking any classes and make sure they are accepted.


2. You do not have to have your prerequisites complete when applying, however they must all be satisfied before you are matriculated into the program. In my situation, I was accepted with missing coursework (3 courses), and did them over the summer. I emailed admissions to verify the courses I was taking were acceptable.

I believe PharmCAS requires you to have at least 1 PCAT score, or a future date that you plan to take the test on before your application is sent to institutions. In my case, I had one score, and a future date (January, before application deadline). With adequate planning, the institutions received both my scores. You must have a PCAT score before the application is considered.

For more admissions requirement, see this page: http://www.sjfc.edu/academics/pharmacy/admissions/requirements.dot


3. I am not aware of UBs requirements, but you can compare the two programs:
http://www.pharmcas.com/collegesschools/schoolstjohnfisherpage.htm
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolBuffalopage.htm
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad