Stand Your Ground Law

Started by BLADEMDA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We will wait for the facts but to me this seems very reasonable. Seems even more reasonable when we consider that Zimmerman has a history of being a paranoid individual. I'm a gun owner, too. However, there is a particular segment of gun owners who are very into/overly prepaired for these type of situations.

It's fine if people own guns but if the evidence if stacked against zimmerman as it's released then I think an example should be made of him. Owning a gun is a HUGE responsiblity.

I honestly don't believe Zimmerman when he says he lost Martin, started to return to his car, and was ambushed. It just doesn't make sense that a kid would have a large, scary dude following him, then decide to jump him as he was walking away. I think Zimmerman attempted to forcably detain Martin, got in a scuffle, and shot Martin when things got hairy. It's the most logical progression of events in my mind. Race has nothing do with this scenario.
 
Grand jury to probe Trayvon Martin killing - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

The federal and state agencies are intervening in what attorneys call a botched investigation into the killing of the Michael Krop Senior High School student, who was killed Feb. 26 in Sanford, a town of 55,000 just north of Orlando. Trayvon, 17, on suspension from school, was staying at his father's girlfriend's house when he walked to a nearby a 7-Eleven store to buy candy and iced tea.
 
The media is showing you an old photo. Why do you think Zimmerman wasn't charged with a crime Slim? The police aren't total idiots. They did a decent job here.

Trayvon was fully grown and not "little" Trayvon who you see in that picture.

He wasn't charged because they're not only idiots, they're likely racist idiots as well, and there's probably going to be a massive house cleaning by FBI/DOJ assuming the facts of the case are how they appear to be at the moment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm offended by the media for calling Jorge Zimmerman white. HE ISN'T.
I'm also sick of all those football uniform pictures of the deceased when he was 12 or 13. Where are the recent photos? Why was he suspended multiple times from his school, and currently on a 10 day suspension? I want to see the gangsta tats and scars!


http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum.../137911-zimmerman-self-defense-murder-22.html

Do you have photographic evidence that Trayvon Martin did in fact have tattoos and scars, or are you saying this because you think he was a gang member? You're really making this about race, and while the case has strong racial overtones, you're bordering on overt racism in your posting.

I really recommend you tone it down a notch.
 
Kind of funny how the liberal media only shows pics of the kid when he was 12 to 14 years old.. Like he is this poor innocent little kid just trying to survive. You do not see pics of him at 17 because he is probably thugged out and appears to be a criminal!!! Funny how the media only shows you what they want you to see!!! I'm all for handguns and self defense and this is why I have a concealed weapons permit..


Just today a 21 year old white kid (student) was killed in his Mississippi State University dorm room by 3 black guys (none of who were students), but you do not see the media raising a stink about that!!!!!! No protesting going on for this poor kids life!!! I haven't heard anybody say anything about a race crime!!!


A large number of American's are brainwashed by our media, its just sad!!!
 
Turnerm82
user-offline.png
New Member
stars1.gif
reputation_balance.png

Join Date Mar 2012
Location Texas
Posts 5

Self Defense All The Way

This case clearly meets the criteria for self defense. Sure, it is tragic that a young man made a decision and lost his life, but that is the consequences. I love the spin that is put on this case with the media and african american civil rights groups. They never mention that Trayvon was beating the crap out of Zimmerman. They conveniently leave those details out. Bottom line is this, there is eye witnesses, screams from Zimmerman, and physical evidence that shows this assault and battery. Zimmerman is the true victim here. He might have been an over zealous neighborhood watchman, show me the statute that makes that illegal. Trayvon took it upon himself to batter him and continue while Zimmerman pleaded for help. And make no mistake about it, Sanford police will arrest you no matter what the race. They did a thorough investigation under much scrutiny and could not find anything to reflect otherwise.​


Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 21st, 2012 at 09:31 AM.​
 
He wasn't charged because they're not only idiots, they're likely racist idiots as well, and there's probably going to be a massive house cleaning by FBI/DOJ assuming the facts of the case are how they appear to be at the moment.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Zimmerman will be acquited of all charges. Under Florida law he was acting in self-defense per our statutes. NRA and FOX news await.
 
Do you have photographic evidence that Trayvon Martin did in fact have tattoos and scars, or are you saying this because you think he was a gang member? You're really making this about race, and while the case has strong racial overtones, you're bordering on overt racism in your posting.

I really recommend you tone it down a notch.

I didn't make that comment. It came from a gun website. There are plenty of White, Hispanic and Black hoodlums in Sanford.
 
Blade, WTF? You're copying posts and opinions written by other people on other forums and pasting them here.

Your posts 47 & 48 are copied from that defensivecarry forum you linked above. Use the QUOTE tags. This isn't a pubmed search where it's (usually) obvious if it's your opinion or an unattributed quote from a journal. Make it easy for us to know when YOU are writing something vs when SOMEONE ELSE is writing something.

This ain't 1993 and you're not some AOLer me-too'ing Usenet. Use the QUOTE tags. Thank you.


Here's how:

[QUOTE=some sentence about your source]
- the body of the text you're quoting
[/QUOTE]

Will look like:

some sentence about your source said:
- the body of the text you're quoting
 
Kind of funny how the liberal media only shows pics of the kid when he was 12 to 14 years old.. Like he is this poor innocent little kid just trying to survive. You do not see pics of him at 17 because he is probably thugged out and appears to be a criminal!!! Funny how the media only shows you what they want you to see!!! I'm all for handguns and self defense and this is why I have a concealed weapons permit..


Just today a 21 year old white kid (student) was killed in his Mississippi State University dorm room by 3 black guys (none of who were students), but you do not see the media raising a stink about that!!!!!! No protesting going on for this poor kids life!!! I haven't heard anybody say anything about a race crime!!!


A large number of American's are brainwashed by our media, its just sad!!!

Yes. And several of these brain-washed individuals are here on SDN.
 
Kind of funny how the liberal media only shows pics of the kid when he was 12 to 14 years old.. Like he is this poor innocent little kid just trying to survive. You do not see pics of him at 17 because he is probably thugged out and appears to be a criminal!!! Funny how the media only shows you what they want you to see!!! I'm all for handguns and self defense and this is why I have a concealed weapons permit..


Just today a 21 year old white kid (student) was killed in his Mississippi State University dorm room by 3 black guys (none of who were students), but you do not see the media raising a stink about that!!!!!! No protesting going on for this poor kids life!!! I haven't heard anybody say anything about a race crime!!!


A large number of American's are brainwashed by our media, its just sad!!!

Well good, the CRNA has weighed in.
 
Blade, WTF? You're copying posts and opinions written by other people on other forums and pasting them here.

Your posts 47 & 48 are copied from that defensivecarry forum you linked above. Use the QUOTE tags. This isn't a pubmed search where it's (usually) obvious if it's your opinion or an unattributed quote from a journal. Make it easy for us to know when YOU are writing something vs when SOMEONE ELSE is writing something.

This ain't 1993 and you're not some AOLer me-too'ing Usenet. Use the QUOTE tags. Thank you.


Here's how:

some sentence about your source said:
- the body of the text you're quoting

Will look like:

Relax. I'm done pasting from other sites. I'm just trying to make a point here. The facts are out there.
 
Flip this around, young black kid follows older white guy shoots him, self defense etc, and tell me he doesnt get arrested.

You know it wouldnt go down like that.

My biggest problem is that nobody knows what happened and now its been co-opted by all the fringe, so nobody really will even care what happened. Sad, really, when anybody has to die like this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Flip this around, young black kid follows older white guy shoots him, self defense etc, and tell me he doesnt get arrested.

You know it wouldnt go down like that.

My biggest problem is that nobody knows what happened and now its been co-opted by all the fringe, so nobody really will even care what happened. Sad, really, when anybody has to die like this.

Fine. I do understand the complexity of this case. But, the Law is the LAW and is blind to Color. Still, I'm willing to bet a Jury of Zimmerman's peers acquits him in Florida.

I'm just curious to see if Zimmerman even gets charged with a Felony. I don't see how they get a conviction based on the 911 tapes, eye witnesses and physical evidence.
 
NRA and FOX news await.

Why on earth do you think the NRA will ever want anything to do with Zimmerman?

He's a gun owner's PR nightmare. If the NRA invites him anywhere, Zimmerman better pack his gun, because I'm telling you, they'd probably lead him out to a cornfield with a hole already dug.



Fox News, on the other hand, is run by douchebags who feed on sensationalism and racial pot stirring. I'm sure they'll be all over him.
 
Why on earth do you think the NRA will ever want anything to do with Zimmerman?

He's a gun owner's PR nightmare. If the NRA invites him anywhere, Zimmerman better pack his gun, because I'm telling you, they'd probably lead him out to a cornfield with a hole already dug.



Fox News, on the other hand, is run by douchebags who feed on sensationalism and racial pot stirring. I'm sure they'll be all over him.


Ok. Zimmerman could use the money for his defense.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlebo02
Kind of funny how the liberal media only shows pics of the kid when he was 12 to 14 years old.. Like he is this poor innocent little kid just trying to survive. You do not see pics of him at 17 because he is probably thugged out and appears to be a criminal!!! Funny how the media only shows you what they want you to see!!! I'm all for handguns and self defense and this is why I have a concealed weapons permit..


Just today a 21 year old white kid (student) was killed in his Mississippi State University dorm room by 3 black guys (none of who were students), but you do not see the media raising a stink about that!!!!!! No protesting going on for this poor kids life!!! I haven't heard anybody say anything about a race crime!!!


A large number of American's are brainwashed by our media, its just sad!!!


Well good, the CRNA has weighed in."




I guess that makes my opinion unworthy 😀
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlebo02
Kind of funny how the liberal media only shows pics of the kid when he was 12 to 14 years old.. Like he is this poor innocent little kid just trying to survive. You do not see pics of him at 17 because he is probably thugged out and appears to be a criminal!!! Funny how the media only shows you what they want you to see!!! I'm all for handguns and self defense and this is why I have a concealed weapons permit..


Just today a 21 year old white kid (student) was killed in his Mississippi State University dorm room by 3 black guys (none of who were students), but you do not see the media raising a stink about that!!!!!! No protesting going on for this poor kids life!!! I haven't heard anybody say anything about a race crime!!!


A large number of American's are brainwashed by our media, its just sad!!!


Well good, the CRNA has weighed in."



I guess that makes my opinion unworthy 😀

What, you can't use the QUOTE tag either?
 
1) I doubt anybody will ever know the actual FACTS unless there's a video out there we don't know about.
2) Goodman Brown's proposed scenario seems the most logical. It certainly doesn't sound like Martin was out to mix it up. My guess would be Zimmerman instigated a physical altercation outside his league because he knew he had the gun as a fallback option, and ended up having to use it. I'm sure he did feel like he used it in self-defense, but it was most likely his own idiocy that got him into that situation in the first place, and someone ended up unnecessarily dead as a result of it. I'm not anti-gun, but I am anti-giving-guns-to-idiots-so-they-can-do-idiotic-things.
3) Latino isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. Most Latinos are still white.
 
Really Douche bag? How about looking at all my clinical posts? No poster has more clinical posts than me over the past 3 years. Do an advanced search and take a look.

Easy there chief. You clearly are a keyboard warrior, no one is doubting that. I admit to only reading several hundred of your posts in mostly non-clinical threads (of which your quick-trigger copy & paste jobs usually account for more than 50% of the total conversation). Of those, 90% are Fox News clippings and irrelevant images and cartoons, often in poor taste.

I'm sure you have many valid, original clinical contributions, and I am admittedly guilty of exaggerating in my brief assessment of your SDN history.

But in this and many clearly non-medically-related topics your work is largely fluff and trash, and I would figure more people than not would more likely describe you as a feminine hygiene product, and apparently a thin-skinned one at that.
 
Easy there chief. You clearly are a keyboard warrior, no one is doubting that. I admit to only reading several hundred of your posts in mostly non-clinical threads (of which your quick-trigger copy & paste jobs usually account for more than 50% of the total conversation). Of those, 90% are Fox News clippings and irrelevant images and cartoons, often in poor taste.

I'm sure you have many valid, original clinical contributions, and I am admittedly guilty of exaggerating in my brief assessment of your SDN history.

But in this and many clearly non-medically-related topics your work is largely fluff and trash, and I would figure more people than not would more likely describe you as a feminine hygiene product, and apparently a thin-skinned one at that.

I see your contributions to this thread or any thread consists of insulting me. Since you don't have any clue about my clinical threads in the public or private forum how do you know enough about me to accuse me of being a feminine hygiene product? Who exactly are you to accuse me of anything? Clearly the moderators need to keep an eye on you for trolling; let's hope that over the ensuing years your mind develops to the point you can actually post something relevant or useful.
 
Easy there chief. You clearly are a keyboard warrior, no one is doubting that. I admit to only reading several hundred of your posts in mostly non-clinical threads (of which your quick-trigger copy & paste jobs usually account for more than 50% of the total conversation). Of those, 90% are Fox News clippings and irrelevant images and cartoons, often in poor taste.

I'm sure you have many valid, original clinical contributions, and I am admittedly guilty of exaggerating in my brief assessment of your SDN history.

But in this and many clearly non-medically-related topics your work is largely fluff and trash, and I would figure more people than not would more likely describe you as a feminine hygiene product, and apparently a thin-skinned one at that.



Snap.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Easy there chief. You clearly are a keyboard warrior, no one is doubting that. I admit to only reading several hundred of your posts in mostly non-clinical threads (of which your quick-trigger copy & paste jobs usually account for more than 50% of the total conversation). Of those, 90% are Fox News clippings and irrelevant images and cartoons, often in poor taste.

I'm sure you have many valid, original clinical contributions, and I am admittedly guilty of exaggerating in my brief assessment of your SDN history.

But in this and many clearly non-medically-related topics your work is largely fluff and trash, and I would figure more people than not would more likely describe you as a feminine hygiene product, and apparently a thin-skinned one at that.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln



Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/abrahamlin109276.html#ixzz1qBdmtFz5
​
 
I do certainly regret posting that, but again that was your retaliatory derogatory comment. I guess after having read so many of your thoughtless posts I couldn't help chiming in when others also noticed your cut and paste methods.

I suppose I haven't weighed in on this topic yet because I don't feel as if I know enough of the facts. Clearly you are all but an expert on what happened that night but still feel the need to assert your views with your typical shock and awe approach of using volume and quantity to dominate the conversation.

From what I have heard and read all that is clear is that Zimmerman was looking for trouble. Besides your posts I had not heard that Martin attacked Zimmerman from behind, and if the only evidence supporting that is Zimmerman's word than it is next to useless.

I agree with the sentiment that this doesn't seem to really have much to do with Stand Your Ground. Zimmerman was acting not as a Neighborhood watchman, whatever the hell that is supposed to be, but a vigilante. I am all for responsible handgun ownership, but so far this seems like a case of an aggressive/paranoid personality taking the law into his own hands.
 
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts:

I've got dozens of clinical threads and cases. Thousands of clinical posts;

Here is a sample:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410713

Clearly, the facts speak for themselves assuming one has the intellect to understand facts.

Again, this is not a clinical topic and I was not referring to your clinical posts. I am sorry that you are so sensitive about your online forum reputation, and it is quite unnecessary to "prove" yourself by linking irrelevant threads.
 
regardless of what happened...

how is it legal to have a 'bounty' for someone's head. I thought we are in the 21st century and that this would be ILLEGAL.
 
regardless of what happened...

how is it legal to have a 'bounty' for someone's head.

dogpublic.jpg


Ask this guy.

But in all seriousness, it sounds like the situation is degenerating into the Wild West, and the bounty is the reactionary equivalent to Zimmerman taking the law into his own hands.

While I don't see the case as really being centered around the gun control issue, one of the problems with people being able to rather easily carry concealed weapons is that the mere fact that you have a gun makes you more likely to shoot someone. I think that majority of people with handgun permits are very responsible, but I have never been one to think that looser/more enabling gun laws will promote peace because people know other people are packing. Rather, I see instances like this becoming more likely as more people have weapons on their person. The more civilians that have handguns, the more dumb, inadequately trained people have handguns. Then they find themselves in situations and the fact that they have a gun escalates the situation to a place it would never have gotten to in the first place.

Do you think Zimmerman would have pushed the envelope if he didn't have a sidearm? I guess perhaps he would have, and then gotten the crap beat out of him by someone 60% his size if what Blade is saying is true. In any case, no one would have gotten shot in the chest.
 
Ayoob said:
http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2012/03/23/george-zimmerman-and-trayvon-martin-what-we-dont-know/][/url]

The death almost a month ago of 17-year old Trayvon Martin at the hands of appointed neighborhood watch leader George Zimmerman has become a cause célèbre that has even drawn the notice of our President, who notes that if he had a son he would probably look like Trayvon. I'm seeing some defending Zimmerman, and most demanding his head on a platter, and a whole lot of people who don't understand how the justice system is geared to approach these things.

As I've said earlier in this blog, in answer to reader query, we don't know enough about what happened to rush to judgment yet, whether that judgment is justified self-defense, murder, or manslaughter. The police have made it clear that there is evidence that has not yet been made public, and may not be put forth until the Grand Jury examines the case next month. Some issues:
The autopsy results, including toxicology screen, have not yet been released. If it turns out that the young man who died was fueled by drugs known to cause violent behavior, could that change our perceptions? That knowledge is not yet in our hands. (Reportedly, Zimmerman was not tested, and police indicate that he showed no signs of drug or alcohol impairment.) My advice to YOU if YOU'RE ever involved in a shooting: request to be taken to a hospital to have a blood sample and toxicology screen taken. A "negative for everything" result will prevent false allegations later that you were drunk or drugged-up when you pulled the trigger.

The death weapon was a Kel-Tec PF9 semiautomatic 9mm pistol. It has been reported that the gun was recovered with a full magazine and that only the chambered round had been fired. This is a condition we associate with something preventing the gun from cycling a fresh round from the magazine into the chamber after the shot was discharged. One thing that can cause that is another man's hand wrapped around the pistol, ******ing its slide mechanism. This would indicate, as could certain gunshot residue patterns or cuts in certain places if found on Trayvon Martin's hand(s), that a struggle for a gun was taking place when the fatal shot was fired. This would clearly change the shape of the case. But – WE DON'T KNOW YET.
Both men, according to initial reports, were "squeaky clean" in terms of their background. We now know, meh, not so much. There were allegations of domestic abuse against Zimmerman, and a conviction for resisting arrest, in his past. Young Mr. Martin was in the complex in the first place so his dad could straighten him out after being kicked out of school for a week…for what, we don't know.

Pundits who don't all seem to understand the concept are tying this shooting in to Florida's Stand Your Ground law much more than they should. There is conflicting evidence/testimony as to whether Martin approached Zimmerman or vice versa in the penultimate moments before the physical fight that led to the fatal shot. There is, in short, not yet enough information for any of us outside the investigation to formulate a solid opinion.
Update: Turns out that the Trayvon Martin Facebook page mentioned here last night was the wrong Trayvon Martin; that has been deleted with my apologies, and thanks to those who flagged me to the error. Also, HuffPost reports that Trayvon had been suspended for chronic truancy, but another source notes that his school's posted rules do not prescribe that length of suspension for that minor an offense. Meanwhile, the college George Zimmerman had been attending has suspended HIM, due to the current controversy.

My advice? Let's all "stand our ground," not participate in the rush to judgment, and wait for the facts and the evidence to become available to us 300 million jurors in the Court of Public Opinion.


Emphasis mine. Sounds like good advice to me. Where are those sources you were talking about that have been asked for, Blade?

My input? I'm not envious of the person who instigates a situation leading into a shooting
 
the Law is the LAW and is blind to Color.

The law is made by human beings, and can be as fallible and biased as they are.

Slavery was legal in the USA for how long? Overt discrimination on grounds of race was legal for how long? Covert discrimination on grounds of race is outside the scope of most laws even now. Even if equality is written into the laws, the way those laws are operated within the justice system can create inequality.

An able-bodied white male with good financial status is probably looking at problems of discrimination from the big end of the telescope. This is sad but not surprising.
 
Let a Grand Jury decide the case. We will find out soon enough if there is sufficient evidence to charge George Zimmerman with a crime.

But, fair reporting by the media requires both sides of this story be told and not just helpless "little" Trayvon was murdered in cold blood by a racist half Latino.
 
"But in this and many clearly non-medically-related topics your work is largely fluff and trash, "
eccentric jet


Again. False. My last 3 threads include the following:

1) Stand Your Ground
2) New Aortic Valve
3) Will ObamaCare Stand Up?

All 3 topics are relevant to my life as an Anesthesiologist and Citizen in the USA. None of them are "fluff and trash" as described by you.

Since you find my posts "fluff and trash" why do you bother reading them at all? It is ungrateful ignoramuses like yourself that make experienced Attendings avoid SDN altogether.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a fairly lengthy post typed last night that was lost in the system maintenance. The gist of it was I can't believe how many highly educated individuals on this board are buying into the anti-gun media/ Handgun Control Inc/ race baiting spin on this story.

I am certain that there was an eyewitness and evidence that corroborates Zimmerman's account, otherwise he would have been arrested on the spot. The police department did their job in determining that there was not probable cause for an arrest and then turning their findings over to the grand jury.

I hear people demanding "why wasn't he drug tested?" The police have no authority to force an individual to be tested for intoxication without probable cause. Had he been placed under arrest or found to exhibit intoxicated behavior at the scene, then probable cause would exist for forced testing (he should have requested it to eliminate the red herring, but there is no basis for it being required of him).

What I find despicable is the way the media and the Sharptons of this world are choosing to capitalize on the death of this individual to further their own agenda without even waiting to hear the truth of what actually happened.

The police are in the best position to judge at this point. Not you, not me, not the *****s who are rallying for the arrest of Zimmerman or the criminals who have placed a bounty on his head. The police are the ones with the most details and evidence to piece together what actually happened.

Let me paint an alternative scenario. One that is absolutely as legitimate as the one that is being painted in the media. A theory that is in all likelihood more correct as supported by the fact that the police did not arrest Zimmerman.

What if Zimmerman followed Martin at a distance to see if he was up to no good and to keep a location on him until the police arrived. What if he did not approach Martin directly and instead Martin gave him the slip then hid while Zimmerman was trying to figure out where he was. Zimmerman gives up and returns to his vehicle. Martin jumps Zimmerman as he is returning to his vehicle and overpowers him. Zimmerman, fearing for his life, shoots Martin. Zimmerman never intended to be directly involved with or interact with Martin. He was not the aggressor. He was just trying to keep an eye on him from a distance to see if he was up to no good. That is exactly how I would expect the leader of a neighborhood watch to behave.

The theory is every bit as valid as the popular theory in the press that paints Zimmerman as the aggressor. Neither I nor the media has all of the details at this time and we won't see them until after the grand jury has had a chance to make a decision on the evidence. There was clearly enough evidence to convince the detectives on the scene that a scenario like mine is more likely so they let him go.

Racism in this country is being fueled every bit as strongly by the Jacksons and Sharptons of this world as it is the white supremacists that inhabit my part of the country. The Jackson/ Sharpton version is more insidious and accepted, but it is no less detrimental to the advancement of race relations in this country.

Perhaps the rule of law in this country is a thing of the past and we are just going to return to vigilante justice. Questions exist about the behavior of Zimmerman on that night. Questions that can and will be answered after the case runs its due course under the LAW of the land. There is no question about the unconstitutional vigilanteism of the crowd baying for Zimmerman's head on a platter.

- pod
 
Let me paint an alternative scenario. One that is absolutely as legitimate as the one that is being painted in the media. A theory that is in all likelihood more correct as supported by the fact that the police did not arrest Zimmerman.

Yep, I'm sure the Sanford police know best...

Sanford city commissioners voted 3-2 Wednesday that they had lost confidence in Lee, who insisted there was no cause to arrest the overzealous Hispanic neighborhood watchman who shot the unarmed black 17-year-old on Feb 26.

“I am aware my role as leader of this department has become a distraction from the investigation,” Lee said in a brief afternoon statement.

He said “temporarily removing” himself would restore a “semblance of calm to the city.

Lee, formerly of the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office, took the job only ten months ago — after the previous chief quit amid an outcry over his refusal to arrest a cop’s son who brutally battered a black homeless man.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-martin-death-article-1.1049155#ixzz1qG4l482o
 
I had a fairly lengthy post typed last night that was lost in the system maintenance. The gist of it was I can't believe how many highly educated individuals on this board are buying into the anti-gun media/ Handgun Control Inc/ race baiting spin on this story.

I am certain that there was an eyewitness and evidence that corroborates Zimmerman's account, otherwise he would have been arrested on the spot. The police department did their job in determining that there was not probable cause for an arrest and then turning their findings over to the grand jury.

I hear people demanding "why wasn't he drug tested?" The police have no authority to force an individual to be tested for intoxication without probable cause. Had he been placed under arrest or found to exhibit intoxicated behavior at the scene, then probable cause would exist for forced testing (he should have requested it to eliminate the red herring, but there is no basis for it being required of him).

What I find despicable is the way the media and the Sharptons of this world are choosing to capitalize on the death of this individual to further their own agenda without even waiting to hear the truth of what actually happened.

The police are in the best position to judge at this point. Not you, not me, not the *****s who are rallying for the arrest of Zimmerman or the criminals who have placed a bounty on his head. The police are the ones with the most details and evidence to piece together what actually happened.

Let me paint an alternative scenario. One that is absolutely as legitimate as the one that is being painted in the media. A theory that is in all likelihood more correct as supported by the fact that the police did not arrest Zimmerman.

What if Zimmerman followed Martin at a distance to see if he was up to no good and to keep a location on him until the police arrived. What if he did not approach Martin directly and instead Martin gave him the slip then hid while Zimmerman was trying to figure out where he was. Zimmerman gives up and returns to his vehicle. Martin jumps Zimmerman as he is returning to his vehicle and overpowers him. Zimmerman, fearing for his life, shoots Martin. Zimmerman never intended to be directly involved with or interact with Martin. He was not the aggressor. He was just trying to keep an eye on him from a distance to see if he was up to no good. That is exactly how I would expect the leader of a neighborhood watch to behave.

The theory is every bit as valid as the popular theory in the press that paints Zimmerman as the aggressor. Neither I nor the media has all of the details at this time and we won't see them until after the grand jury has had a chance to make a decision on the evidence. There was clearly enough evidence to convince the detectives on the scene that a scenario like mine is more likely so they let him go.

Racism in this country is being fueled every bit as strongly by the Jacksons and Sharptons of this world as it is the white supremacists that inhabit my part of the country. The Jackson/ Sharpton version is more insidious and accepted, but it is no less detrimental to the advancement of race relations in this country.

Perhaps the rule of law in this country is a thing of the past and we are just going to return to vigilante justice. Questions exist about the behavior of Zimmerman on that night. Questions that can and will be answered after the case runs its due course under the LAW of the land. There is no question about the unconstitutional vigilanteism of the crowd baying for Zimmerman's head on a platter.

- pod

I agree with you 100%, well said
 
cl01-300x166.jpg


Former NAACP leader accuses Sharpton and Jackson of ‘exploiting’ Trayvon Martin

My thoughts exactly. So many good quotes in this article, I should probably just post the whole thing verbatim.

His family should be outraged at the fact that they’re using this child as the bait to inflame racial passions,

(Bryant) called Jackson and Sharpton “race hustlers” and said they are “acting as though they are buzzards circling the carcass of this young boy.

He also criticized President Obama for his “nebulous statement” responding to Martin’s death that “if I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon.”

“What does that mean?” Bryant asked. “What was the purpose in that?”

people like Jackson and Sharpton are being misleading to suggest there is an epidemic of “white men killing black young men.”

“The epidemic is truly black on black crime,” Bryant said. “The greatest danger to the lives of young black men are young black men.”


- pod