standard time mcat in june or extra time mcat in july? help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McPoppin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is little difference from a 36-39, that's the top 2-3% of test takers. I wouldn't delay taking the test if your lowest scores are 33 - which can pretty much get you into any school along with equally strong other app materials. Honestly, I don't see how you could possibly need an extra 25% of time when you are already scoring higher than the VAST majority of people normally.

I agree with the post above. No need to delay your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't delay your app. And from what I've read, retaking a 33 can make adcoms think significantly less of you as an applicant.

Take it in June, rock it, and move on.

Don't delay your app. And from what I've read, retaking a 33 can make adcoms think significantly less of you as an applicant.

This. DONT delay your app. And wow 33 with ADHD is dam impressive

Aren't schools made aware of the fact that you received extra time? Is it worth that stigma?

It's not a fair/just world.
They discriminate for all kinds of things all the time.

Like, me admitting I'm bipolar would create a huge stigma against me, but has it stopped me from succeeding thus far? No. But would I have to work extra hard to prove I can handle med school? Possibly. Problem is, doing this allows med schools know things about you that could potentially affect your application. Maybe I'm just being paranoid? Idk, but I'd just do what's best for you OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would vote to delay your test. I realize I am going against the majority vote here, but getting your score back in August is not too late. LizzyM and either gyngyn or goro (I forgot which one) have both said that being complete by Sept 1 is fine. I'm not sure about the possible stigma of having a non-standard MCAT test on your app (I'll let people involved in admissions talk about that). But if you're just talking about applying earlier with a lower June test date score or later with a higher July test score, I think the higher test score is going to be worth it. Which July date are you thinking of? An early July test date will get you your score by early to mid August, which is perfectly fine (and about average complete time), while a June test date would give you a mid to late July score (which is very early). And to me, it seems like 25% extra time could definitely have a huge impact on your score.

How strong is the rest of your app? A 3.98 with good EC's and a 33-36 MCAT will be good, and you should get acceptances, no doubt. But a 3.98, 39 will put you in a different league, no matter when you apply (again, as long as your EC's are solid). August complete date is NOT going to put you at a disadvantage--just make sure you prewrite your secondaries so you'll be complete soon after you get your score. Honestly, a lot of schools screen incoming apps by numbers, so even if were to apply in October (NOT recommended) with a 3.98, 39, you'd still get noticed.

You want to balance applying on time with putting forth the best application possible--this will help you get into better schools, and even be more competitive for scholarships. If you look at Northwestern's scholarship recipients on MDApps, for example, pretty much all of them are 3.95+ 39+ (for them, I think numbers are a necessary but insufficient condition for scholarships). The July MCAT, as long as your primary is verified and your secondaries are pre-written will make you complete on time (not early, not late), and more importantly, complete with your best possible application. Isn't it better to be on time with the strongest possible application than early with a solid application?

Again, I'm really unsure about the potential stigma of a non-standard MCAT, and I'm not taking that into account. The higher MCAT score in August versus a lower one in July is definitely worth the wait, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hey guys, quick question! Currently, I'm scoring between 34-36 with normal time on AAMC practice tests. I'm scheduled to take the test on June 13th, but I have also been approved for +25% time if I were to take the test in July instead (long history of ADHD). I can't use the extra time on my June 13th test.
I know I could score higher with this extra time, potentially 3 points more I'm guessing, maybe between 36-39. However, medical schools would also be receiving my scores one month later. My plan right now is to take the test with normal time and see how I do. If not so hot (33ish), take again in late July.

My GPA is high (3.98), but I have some pretty big gaps in my transcript from taking time off. My extracurriculars also leave something to be desired, so I'm really counting on a high MCAT score to boost my application. So my question is this I suppose: proceed with the plan, take test this Friday and receive a 34-36 with no accommodations? There is the possibility that I score lower than this, because, well, having ADHD and being in a completely different, potentially distracting testing environment could affect things!

Alternatively, I could skip this test and just wait until July to potentially score 36-39 with my accommodations? That way, schools would not see my first attempt without accommodations, and I'm more confident that I could reliably produce a high score. The downside to this is schools get my MCAT score a month later. Would the points boost outweigh the delay? What do you all think? Advice very much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Very curious, what did you decide to do?? Did you take the June 13 test?? If so, the results are in, and did it work out for you?? Following your posts, as my sister needs extra time for testing due to learning disability (really slow reading). Please report back on how it all worked out, I am rooting for you!!

Really? Because my AAMC 9-11 scores were 37, 38, 36, and I was devastated last week to receive a 33 on the real thing. I've been debating whether or not to retake it. I feel like there's no way it won't hold me back a lot of places. My GPA is almost perfect, but at a middle-of-the-road small liberal arts college. ECs are good except research isn't strong.

You're unlikely to increase your score more than a point or two, and going from 33 to 34 or 35 won't change anyone's mind about you. Going from 33 to 31 will.

Stick with the 33.

Reactions: 1 user
You're unlikely to increase your score more than a point or two, and going from 33 to 34 or 35 won't change anyone's mind about you. Going from 33 to 31 will.

Stick with the 33.
That's what I've been leaning toward, but it's hard because my pride is getting in the way. Thanks.

That's what I've been leaning toward, but it's hard because my pride is getting in the way. Thanks.

Indeed, this response is the best reason you shouldn't retake. The real reason you want to retake is ego, not because it'll significantly help your chances of admission. Retaking would be a poor decision because of this. Suppress that. 33 is a good score.

Reactions: 1 users
Indeed, this response is the best reason you shouldn't retake. The real reason you want to retake is ego, not because it'll significantly help your chances of admission. Retaking would be a poor decision because of this. Suppress that. 33 is a good score.
Yep, I've realized it's primarily out of emotion, though I'm good at convincing myself it's necessary sometimes when I see WUSTL has a median of 38 (no particular desire to specifically go there). Gotta be strong. I really appreciate your reassurance.

Really? Because my AAMC 9-11 scores were 37, 38, 36, and I was devastated last week to receive a 33 on the real thing. I've been debating whether or not to retake it. I feel like there's no way it won't hold me back a lot of places. My GPA is almost perfect, but at a middle-of-the-road small liberal arts college. ECs are good except research isn't strong.

It's okay to be disappointed with a "good" score when you know you are capable of more. Don't feel bad for being devastated, it's the same as with grades: some people are over the moon about passing while others would lose days of sleep over a C+. Regardless of what various people's opinions are about retaking, ultimately it is a very personal decision. Not all 33's are created equal. A 33 does not equal 40...there are many factors to consider.

Since you are applying this cycle, it doesn't make sense to retake the exam.

Since your research is, in your words, not strong then you are far less likely to be competitive for the top programs regardless of your MCAT score. For programs where your ECs will be competitive, a 33 is all you need.

I also vote against retaking, but not for the reasons others have put forth. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
It's okay to be disappointed with a "good" score when you know you are capable of more. Don't feel bad for being devastated, it's the same as with grades: some people are over the moon about passing while others would lose days of sleep over a C+. Regardless of what various people's opinions are about retaking, ultimately it is a very personal decision. Not all 33's are created equal. A 33 does not equal 40...there are many factors to consider.

Since you are applying this cycle, it doesn't make sense to retake the exam.

Since your research is, in your words, not strong then you are far less likely to be competitive for the top programs regardless of your MCAT score. For programs where your ECs will be competitive, a 33 is all you need.

I also vote against retaking, but not for the reasons others have put forth. Good luck :)
Makes sense. I feel a little better about my decision not retake it now. Thank you guys for all your opinions :)