Stanford IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normansatx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a fellow the other day about one of our faculty that I know well who is moving to Stanford, and that I was excited because I am applying there and am very intersted in it. He insinuated that it was too research based,especially in basic science, to the detriment of the clinical training. I have read through the posts about stanford here and cant find to much addressing this. I am interested in academic IM and clinical research (esp ID and Pulm/CC)
Can a few California residents or PD's comment on the clinical training at Stanford? I realize it isnt quite UCSF as far as reputation, but I really dont care. I am mostly concerned with its geography, fellowship placement, good environment, and solid clinical training.
I am also applying to UCSF and UCLA. How does Stanford compare in the above areas? Again NOT reputation, I already know about that.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF intern here. I don't know that much about Stanford but I would say that their reputation as a low volume research focused training program doesn't hold for the residents I know there. The program is a lot of work and I think that you get great clinical training. The teaching at Stanford seems awesome. the major downsides that I saw in the program were private/multiple attendings and I wasn't as excited about Santa Clara Valley as SFGH even though I hear it is an awesome hospital. The location of Stanford is great if suburban. Not really in the city like you are in San Francisco which could easily be a plus or minus. The research opportunities are great. Fellowship placement seems on par or better than UCSF. seems like you get a lot of individual attention in the program. Of the california programs my personal preference was UCSF>Stanford>UCLA but there are clearly people with good reason who would put either stanford or ucla above UCSF. they are all great programs and if you get a chance to go to any of them I imagine it will work out well for you. good luck.