Stanford Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcosma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently pre-writing my Stanford secondary and I am working on the following question:

---
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:
  • Academic Medicine (Clinical)
  • Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)
  • Non-Academic Clinical Practice
  • Health Policy
  • Health Administration
  • Primary Care
  • Public Health/Community Health
  • Global Health
Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)

---
I'm having a pretty hard time with it ... and I think because it feels like, in part, I am committing to one of these forever. But I think the struggle also comes with not exactly knowing what each of these entails.

I have a large amount of teaching experience and I am certain that I want to teach, in some capacity, for the rest of my life. So, I was initially drawn to Academic Medicine (Clinical), thinking about clinician-educator pathways. But, is this dangerous to say if I don't have an express interest in conducting research? Would it be alright to focus heavily on the teaching aspect and gloss over the idea of leading a high-powered lab? I understand that there are indeed clinician-educator pathways (in residency, I think?) that do not require research. Also - half of my personal statement and another secondary talk about teaching and mentoring students, for context. Teaching is already a large part of my application.

Would I be better off talking about public health/community health, another practice that I am interested in, even though I do not have much experience there? I can explain the interest, but I cannot draw on real-world experience for it. But, I could talk about public education and how I am excited to educate communities.

So, I guess my question is this: is it dangerous to choose academic medicine (clinical) and only talk about teaching? Or, should I choose something else and just tie teaching into it?

How did other people approach this question?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you're overthinking it. You're not committing to anything. However, it might be smart to go with something you have experience with, academic medicine (clinical).

You need to be able to sell yourself with evidence backing whatever you claim. So pick one you can sell your teaching on. Do not attempt to sell yourself on something you have little experience in. This is Stanford, the expectation for this caliber of applicant pool is that when you say something like "I see myself in research" you back it up with years in research and pubs/national presentations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to be able to sell yourself with evidence backing whatever you claim. So pick one you can sell your teaching on. Do not attempt to sell yourself on something you have little experience in. This is Stanford, the expectation for this caliber of applicant pool is that when you say something like "I see myself in research" you back it up with years in research and pubs/national presentations.

Totally, I get that. I guess my question then is: Is there an argument to be made for Academic Medicine (Clinical) without mentioning research?

Totally, I get that. I guess my question then is: Is there an argument to be made for Academic Medicine (Clinical) without mentioning research?

yes! could be: ability to participate in medical education / training; greater variety of types of work and more independence; opportunity to work at places with highest concentration of most complex patients... could go on and on. As @efle alluded though, it's most important to have something in ur app to back up w,e angle u go with.

Reactions: 1 users
I think academic medicine (clinical) is probably your best bet, if you have little to no research experience and will be selling yourself as a future beloved mentor on the wards. Especially since they have physician-scientist listed separately.

Reactions: 1 user
Stick to what you have experience with and have passion for! AB

Is it common for medical school secondaries to ask this type of "what kind of medical career do you see yourself pursuing" type of question?

Is it common for medical school secondaries to ask this type of "what kind of medical professional do you see yourself pursuing" type of question?

Yes, because they want to know if you know what you want to do with your life. Or if you are in it because MD = comfy life/nice paycheck. Nothing wrong with those. I am just projecting to you what they are looking for. PM me if you have questions.