Started Job at Big Tech Company-How to Send Update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HopefulEngineer

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A large part of my personal statement was how my work experience in my field will make me a better medical student/doctor. I changed jobs/started at a Big Tech Company (think Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google) at the beginning of the year. I want to inform the school I was waitlisted at of my job change because I think it will make me a more attractive/qualified candidate, but I don't want the school to think I'm less committed because I started this new job/advanced so much in my non-medical career. I am definitely going to attend if accepted.

Any advice on how to frame my update letter?
 
A large part of my personal statement was how my work experience in my field will make me a better medical student/doctor. I changed jobs/started at a Big Tech Company (think Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google) at the beginning of the year. I want to inform the school I was waitlisted at of my job change because I think it will make me a more attractive/qualified candidate, but I don't want the school to think I'm less committed because I started this new job/advanced so much in my non-medical career. I am definitely going to attend if accepted.

Any advice on how to frame my update letter?
A new job is not a substantive update.
 
If a successful tech-to-medicine app is worth $100, $99 is in traditional med school app elements such as GPA, MCAT, clinical experience, letters. $0.99 is in evidence of grown-up employability in a non-medical field. $.01 (that you could just as soon drop down the nearest storm drain) is in which tech company you're with.

Investing time/effort in your tech career is 180 degrees from getting yourself into med school. You gotta pick.

#mytechresumewouldmostlikelycrushyourtechresumelikeabug #igotwhereyouwantotobe #youwillprobablyargueanyway
 
If a successful tech-to-medicine app is worth $100, $99 is in traditional med school app elements such as GPA, MCAT, clinical experience, letters. $0.99 is in evidence of grown-up employability in a non-medical field. $.01 (that you could just as soon drop down the nearest storm drain) is in which tech company you're with.

Investing time/effort in your tech career is 180 degrees from getting yourself into med school. You gotta pick.

#mytechresumewouldmostlikelycrushyourtechresumelikeabug #igotwhereyouwantotobe #youwillprobablyargueanyway

This may be the best post on SDN I've seen, like ever.