Starting a Pre-med club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a freshman, is it advisable that I start a premed club on campus? I'm worried that students at a higher level wouldn't participate. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As a freshman, is it advisable that I start a premed club on campus? I'm worried that students at a higher level wouldn't participate. Thanks!

I would wait until you're a junior to be honest. I'm starting something similar now, it's just easier to get other people to follow you when you're older/have more leadership experience. I'm a junior now and this is my second year as an RA, so I've had some time to learn about the students at my university and to develop the necessary skills.

On a side note, when I was a senior in high school, a sophomore was starting a pre-med club and I was asked if I was going to.

My Immature response: "A pre-med club started by a sophomore....no thanks"

Either way I think you would find that sentiment among upperclassman at your University.

Have you talked with any of your fellow premeds to see if they'd be interested in joining?

If you don't know any other premed students, just wave your arms in Physics Without Calculus class. You'll hit at least five of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you talked with any of your fellow premeds to see if they'd be interested in joining?

If you don't know any other premed students, just wave your arms in Physics Without Calculus class. You'll hit at least five of them.

:thumbup: The class I took. :)

Truth.

Anyways, what's so appealing about hanging around with a bunch of other nerds who want to do the same thing as you? If you're doing this for reasons other than padding your resume, I just don't get it.

I started one in freshman year. I got a ton of people to join, and later I transferred but the club is still going strong. Personally, it was a good experience, but it took a lot of work, if you really want to start a club, I'd suggest you start with something smaller. Pre med clubs instantaneously get over 50 members really fast.

Spend your time doing something else. This isn't interesting or stand-out to an adcom. Plus, who want to hang out with a bunch of pre-meds? There's I reason I avoided them in undergrad...

I hear a lot of people always complaining that there isn't enough of a pre-med society on campus (I go to a school that has primarily business/iT majors), and to be truly honest, that's why I love the school!

If I was a part of a pre-med club, I'd feel as if there was a constant target on my back! All the gunners would congregate there and show off their gunner 'tudes. That's unavoidable in Med school, but try to stay away from it in College!

Do something else, like a red-cross club, or a medical journal club (So all science majors can participate).

Oh and Freshman year is way too early to be thinking of that stuff.....I'd say focus on classes and start getting into Leadership positions soph/jun year.

Unless the club you're starting is going to do something useful/substantial (such as community volunteering) and is going to last after you graduate, it's a useless endeavor.

It's a waste of your time to get 50 premeds together so they can compare GPAs, MCAT scores, and school lists for 4 hours a week. Your time is better spent tutoring, volunteering, and doing research.

Last edited:
At my university, the pre-med club was started by a sophomore. The premed club members were mostly freshman and sophomores, some juniors, and very rarely seniors. A lot of people decided not to do medicine, and those who stuck with it were pretty set by their junior year and didn't find the premed club all that useful.
I wouldn't wait until later to form the club. Maybe you as a freshman don't know much about the pre-med path, but if you are able to recruit good speakers and find opportunities then your club will be successful. At any rate I would start by identifying a possible faculty adviser and asking for suggestions.