Starting clinical experience 6 months before application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrohazn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m currently in my gap year intending on applying next cycle. Since I graduated, I’ve been employed as a behavior technician for children with autism and I love doing it. I was planning on listing this as paid clinical employment however, I was under the impression that some adcoms may be wary that this isn’t considered clinical. Because of this, I’ve been consistently looking for clinical volunteering opportunities available and it took a really long time to find one. I’ve been doing non-clinical volunteering in the meantime and that portion of my application is great. Through some soul searching, I was able to land an awesome volunteering position as a child advocate for children suffering from all forms of abuse. I assist in playing with them and having fun, while also helping them feel comfortable during medical examinations with physicians. I recently started this gig, and I plan to have ~300 hours if all goes well. However, I’m getting increasingly worried about the fact that this position is less than 6months away from the next cycle. I have previous experience (~85hrs) working as an ED volunteer, but that’s it. Would this look bad or should I be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I’m currently in my gap year intending on applying next cycle. Since I graduated, I’ve been employed as a behavior technician for children with autism and I love doing it. I was planning on listing this as paid clinical employment however, I was under the impression that some adcoms may be wary that this isn’t considered clinical. Because of this, I’ve been consistently looking for clinical volunteering opportunities available and it took a really long time to find one. I’ve been doing non-clinical volunteering in the meantime and that portion of my application is great. Through some soul searching, I was able to land an awesome volunteering position as a child advocate for children suffering from all forms of abuse. I assist in playing with them and having fun, while also helping them feel comfortable during medical examinations with physicians. I recently started this gig, and I plan to have ~300 hours if all goes well. However, I’m getting increasingly worried about the fact that this position is less than 6months away from the next cycle. I have previous experience (~85hrs) working as an ED volunteer, but that’s it. Would this look bad or should I be okay?
Not an adcom, but I don't think it would look bad! Granted it's not a to of time beforehand, but I think it would make your application stronger vs. not having anything there. You could also frame it more as an extension of your pre-existing interests if you are worried about it seeming random.

Also at your job are the children referred to as patients or clients?

Reactions: 1 user
it doesn't really sound like clinical to me but I would definitely sway it in a way that it does. I would also make it seem like you are very interested in pediatrics (dont know if you really are) because of your amazing experience with these kids. Like the previous person said, def make it seem like a continiution of your other experience with kids.

Reactions: 1 user
It isn't your first clinical experience so I wouldn't say that it looks bad. When someone does all the coursework and the MCAT before having any clinical exposure appear to put the cart before the horse but that's not your situation.