Starting in the NICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fergie727

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am starting my first block in the NICU as a Peds Resident...any suggestions of good books to get?

Members don't see this ad.

I like Neonatology Basic Management, by Gomella, Lange Publishing. Biggest problem with UpToDate is that it, IMHO, is poorly organized, when I used it for medicine I would type in one topic and get several different articles which I would have to read to get the gist of it. UpToDate, I will have to admit, is good for specific management questions for a specific patient, but doesn't help much for reading in depth about a certain medical problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like Neonatology Basic Management, by Gomella, Lange Publishing. Biggest problem with UpToDate is that it, IMHO, is poorly organized, when I used it for medicine I would type in one topic and get several different articles which I would have to read to get the gist of it. UpToDate, I will have to admit, is good for specific management questions for a specific patient, but doesn't help much for reading in depth about a certain medical problem.

I would agree -- gomella is a great quick reference to get the basics. It does lack depth, of course. Your program may also have a NICU guide book or "pearl" book to help you out, too

Ed

Unless internship has changed drastically or the OP is at a very unique program, I am pretty sure that patient management info is what they are looking for rather than extensive physiological information which should be gotten from pubmed anyway. Uptodate or the Gomella text will handle that although the textbooks are a few years old.

To the OP. Please maintain documentation that you really did start in the NICU. Over 100% of all residents will ultimately make that claim when discussing the horrors of internship.:laugh:

I'm sure you will do fine starting in the NICU... you seem like a bright person from your previous posts...

Good Luck.. just maintain your life outside the NICU.. a couple trips to Toledo, a couple jogs, and a lot of EtOH and you should make it.....

I truly was my first month in the NICU as an intern (I know that is a popular claim.) I was to say the least terrified having never been in the NICU before except for a couple brief encounters on subspeciality peds rotations as a med student. I thought I was going to HATE it and was very apprehensive especially in light of having no senior residents or fellows. Instead, I was surprised I enjoyed it immensely and am now going to be starting neo fellowship in a few weeks.

Just keep an open mind. Read on your patients. And pay attention to what the nurses and RTs say. They are your eyes and ears on the patients and many have much experience.