Starting med school in 2 months, getting cold feet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolinablue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get cold feet before starting me school? ...fear of losing your social life..nkt having time for my passions and hobbies...lonlines and stress...knowing I can't buy a girl dinner until I'm 28....what the hell did I just get myself into?? Giving rectal exams...
I want to help ppl, but I want a life too...i wanna experience the world, not be stuck in a biology book for months. By the time I'm working ill be bald and fat lol...was dental the better choice? Whay about optometry?? Pharmacy too..they have no residency and make good money. Life seems so boring as a medical student...i can't think of a career where you you sacrifice more in time...money...family...health too.
I need to get the fire back in me to burn out this fear but don't know where that comes from. I want to be a doctor because I can help ppl and interact with them daily...but I know that doing that is a lifetime away. anyone else ever go through these thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Boo hoo, I can't have a social life because I'll be learning about the human body and beat out thousands of other people for my spot and now I wanna party hard

/s

no.

PS; Pharmacy isn't good anymore. To gain a competitive edge, you have to do a residency. Otherwise you're just another shlomo 6 year graduate.

I want a life too...i wanna experience the world, not be stuck in a biology book for months. By the time I'm working ill be bald and fat lol...was dental the better choice? Whay about optometry?? Pharmacy too..they have no residency and make good money. Life seems so boring as a medical student...i can't think of a career where you you sacrifice more in time...money...family...health too.
I need to get the fire back in me to burn out this fear but don't know where that comes from. I want to be a doctor because I can help ppl and interact with them daily...but I know that doing that is a lifetime away. anyone else ever go through these thoughts?

Then ask for a deferral and come back when you're ready. You can't half-ass it when you start or I guarantee that you'll have all the free time in the world after first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why the hell did you even apply in the first place?

Anyone ever get cold feet before starting me school? ...fear of losing your social life..nkt having time for my passions and hobbies...lonlines and stress...knowing I can't buy a girl dinner until I'm 28....what the hell did I just get myself into?? Giving rectal exams...
I want to help ppl, but I want a life too...i wanna experience the world, not be stuck in a biology book for months. By the time I'm working ill be bald and fat lol...was dental the better choice? Whay about optometry?? Pharmacy too..they have no residency and make good money. Life seems so boring as a medical student...i can't think of a career where you you sacrifice more in time...money...family...health too.

eh, I don't really think that is a fair characterization of medical school. I mean
1) my social life was enhanced by coming to med school
2) anyone in my class who had hobbies and passions still pursues them
3) loneliness is sort of more related to you and not to being in medical school (not that I can't sympathize, I just think if you're gonna be lonely, you're likely to be lonely in whatever you're going to do)
4) stress--this depends on where you're going to school and your attitude. at least the first part of med school was much lower stress for me than college or even high school. that depends on your school's curriculum and your personality
5) you can buy a girl dinner in med school (I assume your comment was from a money perspective). just because med students take out loans doesn't mean they live in boxes and have no money. the real issue will be getting someone to go out with you, and that's not specific to med school either. I can't help you with that one
6) You just got yourself into medical school
7) rectal exams aren't so bad.
8) you won't be stuck in a biology book. or at least, you don't have to be. people have a lot more free-time in med school than you might think. I had a ton of free time in my first year and a half
9) baldness: by the time you're working, some of your classmates will probably be able to help you with that problem
10) fatness: there are 2 solutions to this problem. The first is to exercise (but I'm kind of lazy, so I'd feel kind of hypocritical pushing this on you). The other option is to get one of your gen surg classmates to do a gastric bypass for you (i'm kidding, i'm kidding, unless you actually need it).
11) *waves hand* Dental was not the better choice. You do not like teeth. You will not think of this anymore.
12) Really, optometry? Less boring than medicine? Number 1 or number 2 (I know I know, there's more to optometry than that)
13) Pharmacy? You got me there. You should probably quit and go do that (I'm not being sarcastic. I love drugs).
14) Life is not boring as a medical student. Except on your surgery clerkship. When you are watching someone sew the same thing for 2 hours. But patients are a lot of fun, believe it or not.
15) Time sacrifice--yeah, can't argue with that either
16) Money sacrifice--eh, not really, you'll make it back
17) Family--work at it
18) Health--work out
19) Fire is hot
20) You want to be a doctor because you can help ppl and interact with them daily
21) It's not a lifetime away. Well, unless you die on your first day of residency. If you are planning on dying on your first day of residency, I would suggest not going to medical school.
22) No one else ever has these thoughts. You are the first. Congrats.

But in reality, everyone thinks about these things. A lot of the doom and gloom that people talk about in med school is a little exaggerated. I happen to like med school a lot. Relax, enjoy it, learn just to learn, stop worrying about passing or getting good grades, just learn for fun, and you'll do fine. Make time for yourself and your priorities and spend some of your loan money on a girl you like. Good luck!

Last edited:

You're acting like medical school is a death sentence. I know I'm only a year in, but I'm having a pretty great time.

Agree with above post.

eh, I don't really think that is a fair characterization of medical school. I mean
1) my social life was enhanced by coming to med school
2) anyone in my class who had hobbies and passions still pursues them
3) loneliness is sort of more related to you and not to being in medical school (not that I can't sympathize, I just think if you're gonna be lonely, you're likely to be lonely in whatever you're going to do)
4) stress--this depends on where you're going to school and your attitude. at least the first part of med school was much lower stress for me than college or even high school. that depends on your school's curriculum and your personality
5) you can buy a girl dinner in med school (I assume your comment was from a money perspective). just because med students take out loans doesn't mean they live in boxes and have no money. the real issue will be getting someone to go out with you, and that's not specific to med school either. I can't help you with that one
6) You just got yourself into medical school
7) rectal exams aren't so bad.
8) you won't be stuck in a biology book. or at least, you don't have to be. people have a lot more free-time in med school than you might think. I had a ton of free time in my first year and a half
9) baldness: by the time you're working, some of your classmates will probably be able to help you with that problem
10) fatness: there are 2 solutions to this problem. The first is to exercise (but I'm kind of lazy, so I'd feel kind of hypocritical pushing this on you). The other option is to get one of your gen surg classmates to do a gastric bypass for you (i'm kidding, i'm kidding, unless you actually need it).
11) *waves hand* Dental was not the better choice. You do not like teeth. You will not think of this anymore.
12) Really, optometry? Less boring than medicine? Number 1 or number 2 (I know I know, there's more to optometry than that)
13) Pharmacy? You got me there. You should probably quit and go do that (I'm not being sarcastic. I love drugs).
14) Life is not boring as a medical student. Except on your surgery clerkship. When you are watching someone sew the same thing for 2 hours. But patients are a lot of fun, believe it or not.
15) Time sacrifice--yeah, can't argue with that either
16) Money sacrifice--eh, not really, you'll make it back
17) Family--work at it
18) Health--work out
19) Fire is hot
20) You want to be a doctor because you can help ppl and interact with them daily
21) It's not a lifetime away. Well, unless you die on your first day of residency. If you are planning on dying on your first day of residency, I would suggest not going to medical school.
22) No one else ever has these thoughts. You are the first. Congrats.

But in reality, everyone thinks about these things. A lot of the doom and gloom that people talk about in med school is a little exaggerated. I happen to like med school a lot. Relax, enjoy it, learn just to learn, stop worrying about passing or getting good grades, just learn for fun, and you'll do fine. Make time for yourself and your priorities and spend some of your loan money on a girl you like. Good luck!

I think I....maybe..ugh...kinda..no yes definitely...i think I love you.
Lol seriously thank you, you nailed every doubt. This is my first time getting a loan, I didn't think you could use it freely outside tuition lol

I think I....maybe..ugh...kinda..no yes definitely...i think I love you.
Lol seriously thank you, you nailed every doubt. This is my first time getting a loan, I didn't think you could use it freely outside tuition lol

LoL!!! :):)

You can buy a girl dinner. You can buy drinks at a bar. You can buy a new rolex. The government pays for it all. /loans4tehwin

Med school might be alot of work but dude my first year is some of the most fun I have ever had. Work really freaking hard, and party that much harder.

Reactions: 1 user
are you coming straight from undergrad?

no been out a year.
spent half the year re-taking the mcat twice and hustled my way into a seat at an osteopathic school. (please dont hate on osteopathy, ive already had too many arguments about it and at this point dont care if anyone looks down upon me for not being an md...i dont care, i like its philosophy anyways :) )
i spent the other half of the year living an awesome life in Los Angeles...went to auditions, made it into a music video directed by a vma winner. ALso wrote and produced my own short film that will hopefully be a big internet hit (at least for underground film geeks). The first part of the year was tough, the 2nd was great...together they both gave a great experience...

Why the hell did you even apply in the first place?

it has always seemed like the most logical thing to pursue. I have this vision that if the 35 year old version of myself came back in time to talk to me now...he would say to do medicine and that the real world is tough...medicine is safe and fulfilling.

ftgfn.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
it has always seemed like the most logical thing to pursue. I have this vision that if the 35 year old version of myself came back in time to talk to me now...he would say to do medicine and that the real world is tough...medicine is safe and fulfilling.

OK- here's the situation, I can completely empathize with cold feet. I was someone who was super sure the only thing I ever wanted to do was medicine and I still was very nervous before I started, wondering if I was making the right choice, freaking out over the hundreds of thousands in loans. That is normal. As soon as I started, I knew it was the right place for me and I actually loved first year!!

There are times where it can be a little tough, but honestly, I spent many days by the pool, went out with friends, took weekend trips, and still kept up with some of my fave TV shows (cuz I have priorities). Oh yeah, and learning cool stuff about the human body was also a good time.

What probably helped is that I had a few years off, so I didn't feel like I was giving up on anything, I'd already done the things I wanted to do. You've had ONE year off- half of which was spent studying for the MCAT and going through the brutal mess that is the application process. That may not be enough for you to feel completely confident that you're ready to dedicate yourself to medicine.

If you are unsure, and don't feel a burning fire in your heart to be a doctor, it might be worth deferring for a year, doing what you feel like you want to do (be young, party, travel, audition for more stuff, make another film) and seeing how you feel in a year. You may spend the year imagining yourself in med school and wishing you were there and can't wait to start, or you may realize that you can have a great life without being a doctor and don't want to do this.

Seriously consider taking time to think about this...taking one more year off isn't going to ruin your life. It may save you from debt, and give someone else a chance...or it may reaffirm for you that this is where you want to be.

PM me if you have any questions...

hmm cant give you a whole lot of support OP.

I worked doing clinical research for a glide year before matriculating. All day every day I thought about how badly I wanted to start school, and how much I hated wasting my time at a boring, dead-end desk job. I went out a lot (too much), but there's a point where fun activities hit diminishing returns because they're not cathartic anymore.

Go sow your oats if you must, but I think you probably put too much weight on the compensation aspect of medicine if your primary concern is wasting your youth

OP,

I completley understand your reluctance and anxiety. I am starting Medical School in 6 weeks and I also have cold feet. I will be giving up a nice life as a PA-C. I love my job and love seeing patients everyday. I have a family to support and mortgage payments. I sometimes wonder if medical school will be worth the expense especially when my physician friends tell me not to do it. Reluctance and anxiety are normal when faced with change, a challange, and uncertaintly. I am going to continue on because I know alot of people would give up almost everything they have to have this opportunity. I know I can adjust to the change and overcome the challenge. I know in the long run I will look back and say I made the right decision.

You can never go wrong with dentistry. You will have time to roll around in your Ferrari, bang models and drive Ferrari while you bang models

hmm cant give you a whole lot of support OP.

I worked doing clinical research for a glide year before matriculating. All day every day I thought about how badly I wanted to start school, and how much I hated wasting my time at a boring, dead-end desk job. I went out a lot (too much), but there's a point where fun activities hit diminishing returns because they're not cathartic anymore.

Go sow your oats if you must, but I think you probably put too much weight on the compensation aspect of medicine if your primary concern is wasting your youth

could not have said it better myself. I am counting down the days until school starts so I don't have to do this monotonous 9-5 desk job anymore....

You can never go wrong with dentistry. You will have time to roll around in your Ferrari, bang models and drive Ferrari while you bang models

What is it with you running around all of the DO/MD threads beating off to dentistry?

I am impressed. Dentists have some serious physical dexterity. Did you ever see that Christmas animated feature when you were little about Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and the little Christmas elf who dreamed of becoming a dentist. But there wasn't anything in the film about the elf driving a ferrari and banging a model while driving a ferrari, although it would have added a fun twist to the story.

Boo hoo, I can't have a social life because I'll be learning about the human body
Uh...that sounds like a perfectly good reason to be anxious, to me. Beating out the other people has nothing to do with it. Unless they're going to reapply, they don't have to put their lives on hold in a month or two.

OP, I'd imagine just about everyone gets freaked out about med school at some point. Those feelings are only going to intensify as you figure out just how much of your soul school is going to take. However, it's a worthwhile trade for most people who choose this route. You don't have to totally sell out to medicine. I've been fairly successful at keeping my social life intact, all things considered.

Uh...that sounds like a perfectly good reason to be anxious, to me. Beating out the other people has nothing to do with it. Unless they're going to reapply, they don't have to put their lives on hold in a month or two.

OP, I'd imagine just about everyone gets freaked out about med school at some point. Those feelings are only going to intensify as you figure out just how much of your soul school is going to take. However, it's a worthwhile trade for most people who choose this route. You don't have to totally sell out to medicine. I've been fairly successful at keeping my social life intact, all things considered.

Agree. I have had a pretty good social life in med school and I hung out with a group of med students who were alot of fun.

I do regret, however, that I was not able to drive a Ferrari during med school and bang models while driving a Ferrari. If I had known about this, I probably would have applied to dental school. I did read an article recently about a survey of prostitutes in Las Vegas who claim that their business is best when there is a dental convention in town, followed by accountants for a close second.

Dentistry is boring (imo).
Dental school debt + starting-up practice debt = :eek:
All just to drill teeth for the rest of your life? ...:sleep:

I assure you my dentist doesn't drive around in Ferraris, or ever bang a girl even remotely resembling a model.

It is pretty natural to have doubts going in. Every step of the way you will have a bit of anxiety build up for something and then when it is done you will say, "Well, that wasn't as bad as I expected."

So far, med school is just the greatest time that I would never want to do again. The time goes freakishly fast. Yes, you work hard but you are around others who work hard too and even the boring stuff is more interesting than some of the crap in undergrad.

I'm not balling out with money, but I do have enough to go on dates, drink good coffee once in a while, maybe splurge and buy something after and exam to feel better. It really isn't that bad......and this is coming from a guy who is taking Step 1 in 15ish hours.

Reactions: 1 user
It is pretty natural to have doubts going in. Every step of the way you will have a bit of anxiety build up for something and then when it is done you will say, "Well, that wasn't as bad as I expected."

So far, med school is just the greatest time that I would never want to do again. The time goes freakishly fast. Yes, you work hard but you are around others who work hard too and even the boring stuff is more interesting than some of the crap in undergrad.

I'm not balling out with money, but I do have enough to go on dates, drink good coffee once in a while, maybe splurge and buy something after and exam to feel better. It really isn't that bad......and this is coming from a guy who is taking Step 1 in 15ish hours.

scary bro.

Social time has decreased but not gone away by any stretch.

I have made 3 really close friends in med school and a decent number of good friends.

I have time to workout, play ball, PS3, go out, chill with my gf etc. Of course there will be times when all of that is on the backburner but it's not on the backburner for the entirety of med school.

I've been able to go on fun vacations on breaks and 3 day weekends. I'll pay for it later but I decided I wanted to take advantage of the relative free time you have in med school compared to residency.

You're acting like medical school is a death sentence. I know I'm only a year in, but I'm having a pretty great time.

Agree with above post.

1st year was the best year socially because of the amount of free time I had. You also are in a very fun city. I'm not sure how much I would have enjoyed med school if I was in Kentucky instead of ATL

I watched Game 7 of the Finals last year the night before Step 1 and I was definitely more worried about the game then my test the next day

I hear that works for a lot of people, but I'm the exact opposite. To me, that comes off as "go spend more time doing medical stuff to see why you're spending so much time doing medical stuff."

I hear that works for a lot of people, but I'm the exact opposite. To me, that comes off as "go spend more time doing medical stuff to see why you're spending so much time doing medical stuff."

I'll probably be singing a different tune when I'm actually in med school haha.

The problem with shadowing is that different subspecialties can be so different in their day to day activities.

Also shadowing is a lot different from actually doing

Social time has decreased but not gone away by any stretch.

I have made 3 really close friends in med school and a decent number of good friends.

I have time to workout, play ball, PS3, go out, chill with my gf etc. Of course there will be times when all of that is on the backburner but it's not on the backburner for the entirety of med school.

I've been able to go on fun vacations on breaks and 3 day weekends. I'll pay for it later but I decided I wanted to take advantage of the relative free time you have in med school compared to residency.

what do you mean you will pay for it later?? And ill be in a crappy city...3 hoirs from charlotte but how the f do I drive three hours randomly lol...won't be bad for the weekend tho..i heard atl was dope tho

1st year was the best year socially because of the amount of free time I had. You also are in a very fun city. I'm not sure how much I would have enjoyed med school if I was in Kentucky instead of ATL

Agreed although I actually ended up having more time in 2nd year, first year was hell for me.

OP you are painting med school with too broad a brush. There are definitely times when you have very little free time, such as Step 1 study time, the surgery clerkship, OB clerkship, etc. but I always found time to exercise, have fun, go out to eat with friends, chill, etc. Will you be able to party like a rockstar like you did in college? No. Will you still find SOME time? Of course.

lol

what do you mean you will pay for it later?? And ill be in a crappy city...3 hoirs from charlotte but how the f do I drive three hours randomly lol...won't be bad for the weekend tho..i heard atl was dope tho

I mean I did not have a stringent budget so I took out more money in loans than I technically "needed" so I could go to Vegas, Miami, Tahoe etc

ATL is dope. You can go out any day of the week and there are plenty of different options - the big clubs with the mixed crowds, the big clubs with the black crowds, lounges and chill spots that can be diverse or mainly black, and bars that can be mixed or mostly white. Something for everyone.

Also the strip clubs ain't too shabby

Last edited:
I mean I did not have a stringent budget so I took out more money in loans than I technically "needed" so I could go to Vegas, Miami, Tahoe etc

ATL is dope. You can go out any day of the week and there are plenty of different options - the big clubs with the mixed crowds, the big clubs with the black crowds, lounges and chill spots that can be diverse or mainly black, and bars that can be mixed or mostly white. Something for everyone.

Also the strip clubs ain't too shabby

Dang I never knew you could use loan money for random ****...i was thinking of getting a motorcycle but thought it was illegal

Dang I never knew you could use loan money for random ****...i was thinking of getting a motorcycle but thought it was illegal

I don't know how legal it technically is. I mean I didn't ask for an exorbitant amount or anything. I have a scholarship but it doesn't cover living expenses so the "entertainment" part of my budget is just a little higher.

I really don't see how it's different from people taking out a little bit more to pay off credit card bills because the student loan has a better rate than the credit card

Last edited:

Don't worry. You can have lots of social time most of 1st and 2nd year and a good chunk of 4th year. You just have to survive core clerkships which some (Neuro, Psych or Family) are not considered all that bad.

Just be very good about time management and working efficiently..that means skipping class and doing stuff on your own.

Lots of people get married, have kids etc.. IN medical school. Lots of people have hobbies that they continue (I know a guy who trained for multiple marathons and was on the track team). Its not THAT bad...unless you are inefficient (ie go to class, read the textbooks assigned instead of listening to SDN)

Residency is what you'd probably worry about more....But there are plenty of specialties even IN residency which have manageable hours therefore leaving time for your social life (PM&R, Psychiatry, Family Medicine or ER at some places, Pathology, Derm or RadOnc or Rads if you got the grades)

You will have time for everything (aside for a good chunk of 3rd year and a good chunk of intern year) including social life, exercise if YOU make it important. Think about it, thats like 1.5 years of rough hours (combine the worst of clerkship and internship) out of 8 years if you do one of the residencies above..not that bad..

Last edited:
I don't know legal it technically is. I mean I didn't ask for an exorbitant amount or anything. I have a scholarship but it doesn't cover living expenses so the "entertainment" part of my budget is just a little higher.

I really don't see how it's different from people taking out a little bit more to pay off credit card bills because the student loan has a better rate than the credit card

Thats awesome..my family is paying for half my tuition so I.could definitely use that extra loan money..nothing crazy tho

I will be 10 years older when I am done... but I have had lots of fun, bought lots of dinners :):), traveled the world. My kids will be pre-teens when am done.

Dude it sucks to be you. On a serious note. A few of my friends have managed to get married and and have kids throughout med school and are now in competitive residencies. Just a thought.

Last edited: