You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Starting Medical School at 25/26
Started by RowanNora
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s!
I am thinking of taking a little more time to strengthen my application before I apply. I would be 25/26 when I started. What are other people's experiences starting medical school at that age?
Started at 25, graduated at 29. Don't regret it at all. You get to have fun as a non-student in your 20's. Invaluable in my eyes!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be 30!
24/25 is average. I'll be 24/25
That's really not that far from the average these days which is 24-25 so don't feel like you are too old! I think taking a little extra time at that age, if used productively, can only be a good thing. I will likely (hopefully) be starting at 28! I definitely have felt the anxiety of feeling "behind" my peers, some who went right to med school from undergrad at age 21 or 22, but I try to focus on what I have done instead of what I haven't.
Same here.I'll be 30!
View attachment 235949You’re gonna be sooooo old if you apply to Texas schools lol
Texas is basically training infants to be doctors
I’ll be 35 when I start. Get off my lawn.
26 when I started med school. Now 35 and finished with gen surg. Be 37 when fellowship is over. I’ll still have a good 25 year career ahead of me. No regrets. Good life perspective. Cheers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
26 when I started med school. Now 35 and finished with gen surg. Be 37 when fellowship is over. I’ll still have a good 25 year career ahead of me. No regrets. Good life perspective. Cheers.
Wow congrats! I’m 20, so I’ve got quite some time but these posts inspire me to never give up! Thanks
Wow congrats! I’m 20, so I’ve got quite some time but these posts inspire me to never give up! Thanks
Better hurry up. You only have 20 more years before you’re borderline too old.
There’s a 56 year old in my school that just finished MS2, totally doable.
I’ll turn 26 on the second day of classes or something and I feel like I’m at the perfect age (for me) to be starting school. No ragrets.
Although i'm now kind of non-traditional with 2 gap years, I would NEVER in a million years do it any other way. I will be 25 (almost 26) at matriculation if I get in this cycle and am excited and feel like I have experienced the world outside of being a student which motivates me even more. I worked as a medical assistant in a field I didn't think i'd like and now think I will want to enter that field. The experiences, being able to work, and saving money were without a doubt the best thing for me.
I am thinking of taking a little more time to strengthen my application before I apply. I would be 25/26 when I started. What are other people's experiences starting medical school at that age?
Dunno, ask the guy who's 68 and thinking about medical school. That'll put your age issues into perspective.