Starting Medical School at 25/26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RowanNora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of taking a little more time to strengthen my application before I apply. I would be 25/26 when I started. What are other people's experiences starting medical school at that age?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of taking a little more time to strengthen my application before I apply. I would be 25/26 when I started. What are other people's experiences starting medical school at that age?

Started at 25, graduated at 29. Don't regret it at all. You get to have fun as a non-student in your 20's. Invaluable in my eyes!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
National average age is 25. So either average or very slighly different.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be 26 when I start if I get in this cycle! Really excited to have this next year to apply & enjoy life a bit more. My 2 gap years have been great - I would have been so burnt out if I went right from undergrad.

Reactions: 3 users
If I get in, I'd be in my mid 20s at matriculation too. I think it's a good age range. More mature and experienced than my early 20s, but still fit in fine age-wise and have plenty of time to practice medicine.

Don't worry about it too much!

Reactions: 4 users
That's really not that far from the average these days which is 24-25 so don't feel like you are too old! I think taking a little extra time at that age, if used productively, can only be a good thing. I will likely (hopefully) be starting at 28! I definitely have felt the anxiety of feeling "behind" my peers, some who went right to med school from undergrad at age 21 or 22, but I try to focus on what I have done instead of what I haven't.

upload_2018-6-20_22-50-40.png
You’re gonna be sooooo old if you apply to Texas schools lol

Reactions: 1 user
Enjoy life before med school! Including residency, it is almost a decade long journey!

Members don't see this ad :)
26 when I started med school. Now 35 and finished with gen surg. Be 37 when fellowship is over. I’ll still have a good 25 year career ahead of me. No regrets. Good life perspective. Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
26 when I started med school. Now 35 and finished with gen surg. Be 37 when fellowship is over. I’ll still have a good 25 year career ahead of me. No regrets. Good life perspective. Cheers.

Wow congrats! I’m 20, so I’ve got quite some time but these posts inspire me to never give up! Thanks

I was 25 when I started. I think having several years removed from school actually helped my application.

Reactions: 5 users
There’s a 56 year old in my school that just finished MS2, totally doable.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ll turn 26 on the second day of classes or something and I feel like I’m at the perfect age (for me) to be starting school. No ragrets.

Almost 30, starting this fall. No regrets taking the scenic route.

Although i'm now kind of non-traditional with 2 gap years, I would NEVER in a million years do it any other way. I will be 25 (almost 26) at matriculation if I get in this cycle and am excited and feel like I have experienced the world outside of being a student which motivates me even more. I worked as a medical assistant in a field I didn't think i'd like and now think I will want to enter that field. The experiences, being able to work, and saving money were without a doubt the best thing for me.

Dunno, ask the guy who's 68 and thinking about medical school. That'll put your age issues into perspective.