Starting on the road to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kodi99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate anyone who could point me in the direction of resources for someone who wants to go to med school, but doesn't have the background in science, etc. I am currently a practicing lawyer, but I'm not thrilled with what this profession has turned out to be. My undergrad is in political science with very little math/science. I don't even know where to start in researching what it would take to put myself in a position to apply for med school down the road.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend you look into completing the science requirements for med school. Would you be a full time or part time student? Secondly, go to the AAMC's website (www.aamc.org) for more information for non-traditional students. It's great. Good luck.

I would definetly be going part time, I'm paying back on my law school loans right now so I have to keep working. Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of people out there going into medicine as a second career (myself for instance). Feel free to take the pre-requisistes wherever it will be most compatible with your current job. But also try to get a little experience in medicine. Call up some local doctors to see if you can spend some time shadowing them. See if any local hospitals/clinics/nursing homes will allow you to volunteer on the weekends in something that gives you a bit of patient contact. Start thinking about when you will take the MCAT and start researching the schools that you would like to attend to be sure you get all of their pre-requisites completed.

Although many of the schools have the same prerequisite coursework, there are slight variations. At a minimum, every school wants to see:

1 year of Biology
1 year of Chemistry
1 year of Physics
1 year of Organic Chemistry

all with lab. Some schools may have additional requirements.

Lastly, don't neglect looking into osteopathic medicine (check out the <a href="http://www.aacom.org" target="_blank">www.aacom.org</a> ) as those schools tend look quite favorably on the non-traditional applicant.

Good luck, and fasten your seat belt...it's going to be a bumpy ride...

•••quote:•••I am currently a practicing lawyer, but I'm not thrilled with what this profession has turned out to be. ••••If you don't mind me asking, what is it about the profession that you're not thrilled about?...just curious.

Since you can only go back part-time, then some of those formal postbac programs might not work. Find out if there are any that allows you to take classes part-time. One of your other option is to do a postbac plan of your own...find out if your state school has an Extension office that will allow you to take undergraduate courses on a part-time basis.

Hey kodi,

I just got my first acceptance letter last week, and it's been a little over 6 years since I made the decision to go back to school to become a doctor. I have worked in the computer industry for the last 14 years, having graduated in 1991 and 1992 with my 2 Bachelor's degrees in liberal arts fields (BA in Communciation, and BIS in Arbitration and Mediation). I hadn't taken any of the science pre-requisites.

I started with the Medical School Requirements Guide put out by AAMC, and relied heavily on the AAMC web site and sites like this one for help along the way. I first decided to go back to school when I was 28 (I had a premature mid-life crisis) and took the general college chemistry. I figured if I made it through that (and liked it) I would go on. I ended up loving it. I haven't looked back.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

I know this sounds corny, but I thought I would help people by practicing law, and it hasn't turned out that way. I am a prosecutor, no big firm stuff for me, and even though once and a while I get to put a bad guy in prison, most days I just end up arguing with other lawyers about minute things. You'd probably be amazed how many criminals get away with things because of technical mistakes or judges who are in with defense attorneys. Even victims often times don't want the help we can give them. I'd like a job where people appreciate the help I can offer, and I don't have to argue every single day.

GOOD LUCK Kodi as you begin your journey to medicine! :) :clap:

WHat you've said sounds heartfelt and honest. If you say that to the admissions committee come interview time you will be in great shape. --Trek