Starting ortho residency this year.. questions about OITE and boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceilingfan019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am starting residency in June, but during my med school interactions with residents and attendings, the "OITE and boards" topic came up frequently and I had some questions since I will now be entering this world.

Is it true that OITE is all internal to the program? No one outside the program sees it?

Is it true that OITE is like a litmus for the program to determine how prepared residents are for boards or is there another purpose that I'm not aware of?

Should I be paying for orthobullets subscriptions and starting questions beginning of PGY1 or is there usually a point where residents ramp up studying for OITE?

How much pressure is there for residents to get good marks on OITE? I imagine this is somewhat program specific.

Any other tips for a brand new ortho resident would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s all internal to the program but your scored on a percentile compared to your peers (same PGY) and your program as a whole is also compared to other programs.

The interns are compared to the other interns, but their scores don’t count towards the programs score. So essentially next year it doesn’t matter for you.

It’s not sent for fellowships or anything like that unless you self report it in your application. Don’t sweat it and don’t pay anything most programs have some type of orthobullets subscription or curriculum that everyone does.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends, some programs place big emphasis and will push you to be in the upper quartile. Others don’t place as much emphasis as long as you’re in the upper half. Most programs don’t want residents to be in the bottom quartile, anecdotally speaking of my program and talking to residents from other programs. There’s varying degrees of ramifications that I have heard of, from taking your moonlighting privileges to probation (if you’re not making progress overall, OITE scores are further used to evaluate your knowledge base).

Overall, I wouldn’t worry too much as an intern but would take it seriously moving forward. Most programs will have some type of subscription paid for the residents so I wouldn’t buy anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am starting residency in June, but during my med school interactions with residents and attendings, the "OITE and boards" topic came up frequently and I had some questions since I will now be entering this world.

Is it true that OITE is all internal to the program? No one outside the program sees it?

Is it true that OITE is like a litmus for the program to determine how prepared residents are for boards or is there another purpose that I'm not aware of?

Should I be paying for orthobullets subscriptions and starting questions beginning of PGY1 or is there usually a point where residents ramp up studying for OITE?

How much pressure is there for residents to get good marks on OITE? I imagine this is somewhat program specific.

Any other tips for a brand new ortho resident would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

True
None of the fellowship programs I interviewed at asked about my OITE scores. This is not reported on the application either.

It's used to determine knowledge base and to make sure residents are prepared for the boards.

Your program will be paying for subscriptions to 1-2 question banks. Orthobullets is usually one of them.

It is program specific. But all the programs I rotated at as a med student take OITE scores seriously. They really want their residents to do well.

Reactions: 1 user