Starting over & getting caught

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taKgaHxiA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i did a search and couldn't find a thread on this topic. I'm just wondering about getting caught by starting over in school and not reporting old transcipts from previous schools.

My situation is that i just started school all over again at cc without transfering my transcripts (from other states), so that i can start with a clean slate. I've been doing well so far, but i'm worried if dental schools will be able to find out about my old school records. I've applied for financial aids back east but have not ever recieved any checks. I don't know if they can find out by just inputting your social #?

I also have a friend in a similar situation, but he started over at different cc in the same state, while recieving financial aid. We both tranfered out to a cal state, and he is paranoid about recieving financial aid for the state university.

If anyone has knows anybody that has been in a similar situation, please let me know any information. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

taKgaHxiA said:
Hello, i did a search and couldn't find a thread on this topic. I'm just wondering about getting caught by starting over in school and not reporting old transcipts from previous schools.

My situation is that i just started school all over again at cc without transfering my transcripts (from other states), so that i can start with a clean slate. I've been doing well so far, but i'm worried if dental schools will be able to find out about my old school records. I've applied for financial aids back east but have not ever recieved any checks. I don't know if they can find out by just inputting your social #?

I also have a friend in a similar situation, but he started over at different cc in the same state, while recieving financial aid. We both tranfered out to a cal state, and he is paranoid about recieving financial aid for the state university.

If anyone has knows anybody that has been in a similar situation, please let me know any information. Thanks

I doubt if it is possible or legal to "start with a clean slate" if that means 'hiding' your records from D-schools.
Schools WILL ask for records from ALL colleges attended. If you chose not to supply them, you'd be setting yourself up for a lifetime of trouble. BUT there's GOOD NEWS! Dental schools look positively on IMPROVEMENTS in your records so even if things were really bad before, keep up the good work now, keep getting good grades and you should be fine. It's never a good thing to think you can hide from the past. It will always haunt you. Face it, confront your weaknesses or mistakes, take responsibility for them. You'd be a stronger, better applicant. Good luck and be positive!

taKgaHxiA said:

I had a similar situation. I messed up in my former school, so I transferred to a 4- year city college. I ended up increasing my GPA over time to a 3.48 and with lots of studying, scored decently well on the DAT. NO dental school gave me trouble with interviews and 2 out of the 3 schools accepted me without a problem. The third school, I have an interview around February, but I am cancelling that one. TO make things short, DONT conceal your previous undergraduate record, REVEAL ALL OF YOUR ACADEMIC HISTORY on the AADSAS form. If you WORK HARD, you will get into any dental school you want. I guarantee that. Just get your act together now and study. Dental school care about progress and to illustrate my point, I had a lot of C's from my first undergrad. But, hey I got accepted now ^_^ Hard work my man. Get the A's, you will thank yourself later. Oh yes.To succeed, you must remember that WINNERS do not run from their weakness, THEY CONQUER IT!!!!!!

Take care,
Rich

Members don't see this ad :)
In the state of Texas, they allow for a fresh start and completely erasing your record of your classes (this is really only a last resort if you've bombed your first year or something). Nothing will show up on your transcripts about the classes you took previously. However, failing to report classes that you did bad in is a "no-no" unless you took official measures to get rid of your record. Sooner or later schools will find out whether or not you've hidden anything from them.

It seems like from your post, that you are simply not reporting the classes you did bad in. NOT a good idea.

Bad idea. They will find out, and when they do, you will be screwed. The new thing for dentistry is morals and ethics ( as well as being "ethnically competent") So, in your best interested, deliver the schools ALL grades and transcripts.
taKgaHxiA said:

taKgaHxiA said:

DO NOT DO IT, the schools WILL find out, trust me on this. I believe last year someone was caught for hiding her academic record from a previous school. Guess what happened to her........

taKgaHxiA said:

I know 5 people who tried it and all of them got caught eventually. 3 of them where caught halfway through their first year of D-school and they where discharged from the program for academic dishonesty. Its just not worth it. Its a waste of time, money, dignity if you ask me

hey are you guys shure about that? how do the dental scools find out?

Thanks for your input guys. Hey richnator, so when you started over again, did you transfer all your old previous credit to your knew 4 year institution? Or did you just submit it only when applying to dental schools?

I'm asking this because i did not have any of my previous records transfered over so am wondering if it would be okay to just show it only on the dental school application? Won't they question why i did not have all my previous work transfered over to the state university i'm at now?

taKgaHxiA said:
Thanks for your input guys. Hey richnator, so when you started over again, did you transfer all your old previous credit to your knew 4 year institution? Or did you just submit it only when applying to dental schools?

I'm asking this because i did not have any of my previous records transfered over so am wondering if it would be okay to just show it only on the dental school application? Won't they question why i did not have all my previous work transfered over to the state university i'm at now?
I transferred ALL OF IT over. The AADSAS application also required you to put down all courses taken. I had a lot of C's in my previous university. However, I knew if I got my act together, those C's wouldn't stop me from living my dream. Just kill the DAT. Score 21 or higher and dental schools will know you have potential and that your first few years at your previous school was just from partying and drinking your ass off.

Good luck,
Rich

taKgaHxiA said:

A simple background check can verify what schools you have attended, what degrees you have, etc, etc. Occasionally a person might slip through the cracks and the dental school will never find out this person failed to report some classes. But sooner or later, odds are you WILL get caught and it is not worth risking professional career.

You can't just "start over" by transferring to another school and ignoring the classes you've already taken. Once you take a class and get your grade, it is in your record for ever (unless you sign up for an academic fresh start program which wipes your record clean).

If you are talking about not reporting community college classes to your undergraduate school, I don't think it makes much of a difference. As long as you submit EVERY class you've taken to AADSAS, you will be fine. I doubt dental schools will ask you why you didn't report all your classes to your undergrad. Your undergrad might want those classes though and this would really depend on the school.

tinman831 said:
You can't just "start over" by transferring to another school and ignoring the classes you've already taken. Once you take a class and get your grade, it is in your record for ever (unless you sign up for an academic fresh start program which wipes your record clean).

Hey, what is this "academic fresh start" I looked it up, and it seems to be school specific? How does it work?

taKgaHxiA said:
Hey, what is this "academic fresh start" I looked it up, and it seems to be school specific? How does it work?

It's in Texas only as far as I know. The catch to an academic fresh start is that you have to wait a minimum of 10 years to wipe out your record.

One mark of a good student is to follow things through to the end.

Here are some of the things students can use to their possible advantage:

Transfer to another school
Transient summer admission
Change of major/minor
Retakes
Withdrawal
Post-bacc work
Graduate work
Semester(s)-off
Peer Tutors (when they exist)
Fresh-start (in Texas)

I have utilized more than half of these (no, not the last one). Being thrifty is the mark of a problem-solver. Being dishonest is the scarlet letter of a cheater. Wasting four years of your life twice is as abundant in dishonesty as it is lacking in thrift. Don't be lazy. It is likely as impossible to exhaust all nine or ten of those options as it is to get away with cloning your Bachelor's and hiding the template. All five got what was coming to them for stealing a more qualified (and probably more thrifty) applicant's spot.

jhamer5 said:
Bad idea. They will find out, and when they do, you will be screwed. The new thing for dentistry is morals and ethics ( as well as being "ethnically competent") So, in your best interested, deliver the schools ALL grades and transcripts.

I have already been accepted to 5 schools. However, one summer I enrolled in a summer course at my home town back in Texas (a attended and graduated from UCLA) but dropped it before the end of the semester and never got a grade. I completely forgot to list it since I never got a grade. Do you think I should go back and list the two weeks I was enrolled. I never attended any classes because I got a summer job.