Starting Pre-Med as a sophmore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kxp3165

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Sophomore chemistry major, and I've came to the realization that I do not want to work in a lab anymore so I've been doing research about pre-med and medical schools. The science isn't hard to me as I currently have a 3.88 GPA right now so I have the GPA criteria checked off. I plan on getting certified as an EMT or a CNA to see if i like the health field and work throughout the summer or school and just do some shadowing and internships from there. I haven't done anything like research or have any medical experience, so I was just wondering if there are any tips since I'll be starting the race late, because i know some pre-med in my year who is already doing internships at hospitals, volunteering, researching, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

1. First off, a 3.88 GPA is phenomenal. Just make sure you complete all your pre-reqs if you haven't already (I'm assuming you probably haven't taken 1 year of bio since you're a chem major). Also it would be wise to take a psych and/or sociology course since this is now on the MCAT. And some schools require 1 semester of biochemistry.
  2. I would recommend shadowing first before getting a CNA or EMT certification. This way you could see if you really do want to do something healthcare related before investing time and money into those certifications.
  3. CNA or EMT certification is a good way to get clinical experience so I think that's a good thing to do.
  4. You're also gonna need some more extracurriculars, since admissions committees like to see well rounded applicants.
  5. Do well on the MCAT. If you do well on the MCAT, paired with that GPA you should be a shoe-in for most med schools

I'm currently a Sophomore chemistry major, and I've came to the realization that I do not want to work in a lab anymore so I've been doing research about pre-med and medical schools. The science isn't hard to me as I currently have a 3.88 GPA right now so I have the GPA criteria checked off. I plan on getting certified as an EMT or a CNA to see if i like the health field and work throughout the summer or school and just do some shadowing and internships from there. I haven't done anything like research or have any medical experience, so I was just wondering if there are any tips since I'll be starting the race late, because i know some pre-med in my year who is already doing internships at hospitals, volunteering, researching, etc.

I can't emphasize enough that it's NOT A RACE. You can take 1-2 gap years. Literally nobody but yourself will (or even should) care.

Do some shadowing and clinical volunteering where you get significant patient interaction. Figure out if medicine is something you would like to do. Then, consider other professions such as research, education, or an allied health profession. What makes medicine (MD or DO) so much more valuable to your career/life goals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips! Any suggestions on how to begin shadowing a physician? Like volunteer at a hospital and just start from there?
Also, When do students usually apply to med school? It seems majority of people take their MCAT during junior year, and then apply for med schools the summer before starting their senior year.

Mostly good advice. But I'd like to make a suggestion since I don't quite agree with everything said below, and want to provide a more realistic perspective.

As far as I know, even the most qualified applicant is not guaranteed to get into medical school. So again, a shoe in is exaggerating; you could have the best numbers and still not get in. Furthermore, there are several applicants who check all the boxes and don't get in, because of the limited number of students that schools accept. That being said, you can maximize your chances by maintaining a decent GPA (3.7+), as you have done, while aiming for a good MCAT score (510+). Then add in shadowing, volunteering, and maybe research.

I do agree with shadowing first. Make sure that this is the right path for you before getting into the certifications and other extracurriculars.

1. First off, a 3.88 GPA is phenomenal. Just make sure you complete all your pre-reqs if you haven't already (I'm assuming you probably haven't taken 1 year of bio since you're a chem major). Also it would be wise to take a psych and/or sociology course since this is now on the MCAT. And some schools require 1 semester of biochemistry.
  2. I would recommend shadowing first before getting a CNA or EMT certification. This way you could see if you really do want to do something healthcare related before investing time and money into those certifications.
  3. CNA or EMT certification is a good way to get clinical experience so I think that's a good thing to do.
  4. You're also gonna need some more extracurriculars, since admissions committees like to see well rounded applicants.
  5. Do well on the MCAT. If you do well on the MCAT, paired with that GPA you should be a shoe-in for most med schools

What are literally the best ways to stand out of the application, since generally every other applicant are in the same criteria

Also, When do students usually apply to med school? It seems majority of people take their MCAT during junior year, and then apply for med schools the summer before starting their senior year.

It depends. While the "traditional" route is to apply the summer before senior year, many people take gap years to strengthen their apps. IMO, it's more important to apply when you are ready, even if that means you're a year or two (or more) out of undergrad. The average age for matriculated students is often around 24-25 in many med schools, so clearly several applicants are nontrads.