Starting SN2ed tomorrow, any last-minute advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahul0774

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel as though the title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm scheduled to take the exam on August 21st and have decided to donate the entirety of my summer to study for the MCAT. I have gathered all of the recommended materials (and then some). I'm just looking for any last-minute tips that would make my journey a little easier. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Expect to get behind.

No one follows SN2 to a tee... not even SN2 himself. My suggestion is don't memorize the details in TBR. I focused to much on memorizing minutia and formulae from TBR; they provide an EXCESS OF INFORMATION. This is not conducive to the MCAT.

I got a 27 last year using only TBR for content (11BS, 10 PS, 6VR). They are great for learning the PS material but not great for taking the test itself. This year I ditched TBR completely and only used EK for content (bare bones) and TPRH for passages + AAMC ass. Averaging a 33 this year on tests. Low of 30 on AAMC 11, high of 36 on AAMC 4.

Take it for what it's worth, but SN2 is not a miracle schedule, and it is not for someone that has any kind of commitments other than the MCAT ( I work 40 hrs/ week in the ER, 25 hrs/week in research), and I TANKED. Good luck, stay energized and **** the MCAT.

I take it this Saturday, so we shall see how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user
I started about 6 days ago.

I haven't got behind yet. I am also not taking any summer classes except Orgo 2 lab... so the material hasn't been an issue.

I will say though that I spent about 6 hours total on my first day with TBR Ch.1 Translational Motion and the 1/3 questions (expending a hefty allowance figuring out why I got all those wrong) TBR is hard. :beat:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sn2's schedule is pretty intense, if you do have a free schedule (no class, ec, research, work) until your 21st test date, then you should be able to follow it np. Be diligent, most importantly, do not skip passages. That is the biggest no no, there's no better way to reinforce the content. Enjoy the process.

I worked full-time and did SN2's schedule. However, I did slack on VR a bit and didn't pay too much attention to EK 1001 questions (I felt a lot of them were kinda "meh" and not too representative of the kinds of questions you would see in the MCAT. TBR passages are pretty good, so don't slack on those.

That said, if you aren't doing anything else I feel like you can easily keep up with the schedule.

I took the test May 8th, so we'll see how effective my strategy was...

Not OP, but just finished day one. Took me about 6-7 hours to finish chapter 1 of physics with all the practice questions (1,4,7) and reviewing them. It is a tough little bugger. But I am also seeing all those little nitpicky details, so I am trying to wash out all those unnecessary details and get the necessary info in my brain!
Wowsers. Did you take notes on the side as well? or just straight read and practice?

Im doing SN2 as well with the august 15th date (im one day ahead of schedule atm).

My question is in regards to EK bio. Im read the paragraph first, then going back and doing decently detailed notes over terms highlighted in brown, and then occasional other information in the paragraph. Looks like ill have a decent amount of of notes, but my plan for the reread is to go over these. Plus I dont digest material well if I dont take notes.

Im curious how you other guys did the EK biology (or other TBR sections) in regards to taking notes.

^
I'm curious about this as well. I read the first chapter of EK bio a month ago and found that it touched on all the big points, but it was way too concise and didn't really help any of the information stick in my head. For example, it would give one sentence on polysaccharides and then move on to something else. Should I use TBR for content and take notes on that (basically neglecting EK bio)?

I'm going to start SN2ed this saturday for the august 15th date (I'll have to use break days to catch up).

Members don't see this ad :)
@FCMike11 @cafeverona I have a different spiral notebook for each subject. I write down unfamiliar concepts and stuff I know I need to study while working through the chapters. This is my note taking.

For PS I do flashcards as well. ALL I write on these are the main equations I need to memorize, and maybe a note or two about their applicability.

Oh, and I also use the Mac app 'Notes'...... in this, I write really crude comments to myself for stubborn concepts I can't get straight.... like nasty ****................. It for sure sticks in my head then.

Do you think x :thumbup: = VoT + 1/2AT^2 is sufficient to memorize of the main three to memorize (also memorized the formula for range when takeoff height = landing height, the table for H fallen and T)? This is of course just referring to translational motion.

It took me about 4 hours and 40 minutes (5 hours, if you're counting a 20 minute break I took) to do TBR Physics CH1 today. I took a small amount of notes. I also started my day with reading the TBR Verbal introduction chapter and doing 1 passage from TBR and 2 from EK 101.

I'm saving my post-question review for the first part of my day tomorrow. I can easily see that 5 hours turn into 6-7 hours if you're pushing your review to the next day.

Reactions: 1 user
I would substitute EK1001 for TPRHL science workbook. The EK1001 problems are way too easy. Only use them if you are deficient in a specific topic.

I would substitute EK1001 for TPRHL science workbook. The EK1001 problems are way too easy. Only use them if you are deficient in a specific topic.
But how do we go about matching certain topics from EK to the TPR science workbook?

When people mention SN2, they're talking about the MCAT study schedule devised by SDN member SN2ed. Link here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

Or it's a pretty important reaction type in organic chemistry. :p

Thanks! I also kept thinking about the SN2 reaction from orgo whenever I read it :p

Ill break down all the abbreviations I see here

These three are the most popular books used for studying the MCAT
EK1001 - talking about the examkracker series used for MCAT biology, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry (OCHEM), verbal reasoning (i.e. really long paragraphs)
TPRH- the Princeton review hyperlearning series, another series used for MCAT, also covering bio, physics, chem, verbal and ochem
TBR- the Berkrley review series, the third series used for MCAT, also covering bio,physics, chem, verbal and ochem

Other abbreviations seen:
SN2-the definition was covered by medic86 above me
FL- a practice MCAT test that can be bought by the AAMC
VR- verbal reasoning

Those are the only abbreviations I can think of that I seen a lot here on MCAT discussion

Thank you, this is very helpful

I took the PCAT already but I've been considering taking the MCAT as well, so when I first checked out this side of the forums I was overwhelmed with all of the acronyms and abbreviations haha