Starting to lose hope. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edited.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is always podiatry school

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you apply? What state are you from? Are you a US citizen or green card holder?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to 24 MD Schools. 1 Rejection, 1 application placed on hold.
Appliked to 7 DO Schools. 1 II.

Starting to get worried, what should I do? My stats are:

510 MCAT, 3.47 cGPA, 3.34 sGPA.
3 Semesters worth of research, paid, volunteer, for credit. Got 3 poster presentations with 1 poster. Been on TV/Youtube.
1200 Hours Pharmacy Tech
1200 Hours ER Tech (at time of application, now over 2000)
340 Hours Nursing Home Aide

500 Hours Preparing Chemistry I&II Labs
1000 Hours Computer Lab Monitor

70 Hours shadowing IM/EM/FM docs.
40 hours volunteering at ER
30 hours Public Relations Secretary
30 Hours volunteer student tutoring

First generation immigrant, Pakistani, applied as Economically disadvantaged. Parents were blue collar laborers.
RELAXXXXXXXX. The number one problem on this website is people believing that they're failures because they haven't been informed of much from schools within weeks of applying. I had friends get into medical school the following May of a cycle they applied in August for.

You have good stats, be patient, stop posting your woes.

Reactions: 2 users
I know it's easier said than done, but you need to relax and be patient. The entire process is a big waiting game.

Should I bother applying to more MD or DO schools?
Looking at your sig I think you applied to enough schools already. I don't think applying to more schools would help at this point. Also it's a bit late to submit AMCAS primaries in October.

Looking at your sig I think you applied to enough schools already. I don't think applying to more schools would help at this point. Also it's a bit late to submit AMCAS primaries in October.
can always apply to more DO.

can always apply to more DO.
Like I said, I think you applied to enough schools already. Whether you'd like to apply to more schools or not is entirely up to you. I just personally think it won't make a big difference.

The bad news, You are approx 3 LizzyM points below the average MD matriculant. The good News you are still in the hopeful category. You should get some love from your state school provided you are not from CALI. As long as you have good school selection you have a decent chance considering the rest of your application seems strong. That being said, You should get a DO acceptance. Just wait and be patient.

The bad news, You are approx 3 LizzyM points below the average MD matriculant. The good News you are still in the hopeful category. You should get some love from your state school provided you are not from CALI. As long as you have good school selection you have a decent chance considering the rest of your application seems strong. That being said, You should get a DO acceptance. Just wait and be patient.

My state is the worst state for IS applicants. PA sells MD seats out to students from other states.
PA state government repeatedly F*CKS PA students over.

Members don't see this ad :)
He obviously hasnt looked at Cali.

At least CA has more med schools than PA. CA schools have a strong IS bias.
PA DOES NOT. Most classes at PA schools are greatly made of OOS students.

At least CA has more med schools than PA. CA schools have a strong IS bias.
PA DOES NOT. Most classes at PA schools are greatly made of OOS students.
Ok what about WA? They have to share their only MD school with 4 other states and only really want you if you're into rural medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Ok what about WA? They have to share their only MD school with 4 other states and only really want you if you're into rural medicine.
Everyone is into rural medicine if you are part of WWAMI!

Reactions: 1 user
https://www.aamc.org/download/321502/data/factstablea20.pdf
I suppose its from the meme of all the cali residents complaining their state schools show them no love. Their mean MCAT is also higher, but so is Washington's, compared to the national mean.

Also OP, you should raise your GPA if possible.
How? For me it's much more difficult to raise the GPA. My GPA is low due to very real difficulties.
I'd have to spend thousands to get into an SMP.

I only took one practice exam for the MCAT preparation. I think I have a better shot by retaking my mcat.

How? For me it's much more difficult to raise the GPA. My GPA is low due to very real difficulties.
I'd have to spend thousands to get into an SMP.

I only took one practice exam for the MCAT preparation. I think I have a better shot by retaking my mcat.
You dont need an SMP, Post Bac would work. Do you atleast have an upward trend?

You dont need an SMP, Post Bac would work. Do you atleast have an upward trend?

I aced all my pre-med pre-reqs. My Bs and C's are in my upper level coursework due to a tough transfer transition.
I have a downward trend. But I'm also applying as a socioeconomically disadvantaged student who worked essentially 2 jobs every semester.

I aced all my pre-med pre-reqs. My Bs and C's are in my upper level coursework due to a tough transfer transition.
I have a downward trend. But I'm also applying as a socioeconomically disadvantaged student who worked essentially 2 jobs every semester.
It totally depends on the school and how they interpret that piece of it. Did you transfer from a CC to a 4 year? regardless you are fairly competitive for DO schools. Hold tight.
EDIT: Just saw you were ORM. You are on the lower end of the Asian applicants in terms of lizzy M for MD.

Last edited:
upload_2016-10-12_22-34-27.png

It totally depends on the school and how they interpret that piece of it. Did you transfer from a CC to a 4 year? regardless you are fairly competitive for DO schools. Hold tight.
EDIT: Just saw you were ORM. You are on the lower end of the Asian applicants in terms of lizzy M for MD.

What if you are a first generation immigrant whose parents still don't speak english, are blue collar laborers and you grew up poor with a single income of around 30K for a family of 8. Do I deserve to be lumped into an ORM category?

What if you are a first generation immigrant whose parents still don't speak english, are blue collar laborers and you grew up poor with a single income of around 30K for a family of 8. Do I deserve to be lumped into an ORM category?
:whoa:

But I'm also applying as a socioeconomically disadvantaged student who worked essentially 2 jobs every semester.
I played that card last year and I didn't get in anywhere. IMO, retaking your MCAT would not help much. If you cannot afford an SMP, then maybe you should consider doing an informal postbacc program (i.e go back to your undergrad and take more science classes)

But I'm also applying as a socioeconomically disadvantaged student who worked essentially 2 jobs every semester.
I played that card last year and I didn't get in anywhere. IMO, retaking your MCAT would not help much. If you cannot afford an SMP, then maybe you should consider doing an informal postbacc program (i.e go back to your undergrad and take more science classes)
You played this card....
But you don't play this card, do you? I hope adcoms would have a different look at this kind of ORM compared to other US-born Asians...Not all Asians are the same...

Doesn't matter. You're still Asian. You were born with superior genes. That's an unfair advantage.

My state is the worst state for IS applicants. PA sells MD seats out to students from other states.
PA state government repeatedly F*CKS PA students over.

Nope - Maryland is the worse statistically followed by Washington State residents.

If your PS and LORs are good I think you have a good chance and are worrying prematurely.

Doesn't matter. You're still Asian. You were born with superior genes. That's an unfair advantage.
How can a gene help you in medical school?!? ;)
I think if you are Asian, EO1, non English speaker, first generation immigrant, live in rural area, low income, blah blah...you are already different and so I think this type of student cant be overrepresented in US medicine...Correct me if i'm wrong...

You played this card....

But you don't play this card, do you? I hope adcoms would have a different look at this kind of ORM compared to other US-born Asians...Not all Asians are the same...
I extensively wrote about my economic hardships and how they impacted my academic performance. Guess what? No body cares. Asked SDN about it. Someone on here told me that holding jobs during your undergrad isn't something that is abnormal and adcoms or their children worked during college so I am not a special snowflake. This year, I stayed away from the victim narrative. So far I had 4 interviews and one of them led to an acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How can a gene help you in medical school?!? ;)
I think if you are Asian, EO1, non English speaker, first generation immigrant, live in rural area, low income, blah blah...you are already different and so I think this type of student cant be overrepresented in US medicine...Correct me if i'm wrong...

Nope. Zero eff. He's Asian period.

I don't have a magic ball. You have no idea how many eo1 students from similar backgrounds applied to medical school and got rejections! I would bot bank on that card to carry you much favor. As the graphic said based on historical data you have a 40% chance of getting into MD. Do chances are significantly better.

I extensively wrote about my economic hardships and how they impacted my academic performance. Guess what? No body cares. Asked SDN about it. Someone on here told me that holding jobs during your undergrad isn't something that is abnormal and adcoms or their children worked during college so I am not a special snowflake. This year, I stayed away from the victim narrative. So far I had 4 interviews and one of them led to an acceptance.
Who was the abuser in your victim narrative? Also, congratulations!!!!

Nope - Maryland is the worse statistically followed by Washington State residents.
I did the math once and California actually was somewhere around the tenth worst state, despite everyone here's complaints about that one. But when you're from there, it feels like, totally the worst.

Generally adcoms don't care. An enormous number of Asian applicants are first generation immigrants because of cultural expectations and the like, so it won't really make you stand out much, and relying on it too heavily can ultimately hurt your app by wasting space complaining about your hardships rather than selling your strengths.

this will sound harsh but internalize this message: No one gives a **** and you will receive no special treatment. Also remember internal locus vs external locus of control.

What you're describing is disadvantaged SES, which is a different issue than representation in medicine. The ORM/URM categories have less to do with the applicant's life and background and more (everything) to do with the needs of the patient population.

@libertyyne Aren't Koreans the highest scoring GPA/MCAT/LizzyM subset? Or is my ORM national pride just bleeding through.
This might be the case, I have no idea. Excellence in performance is an expectation regardless of the background of the applicant. It sucks, but life is not fair.

What you're describing is disadvantaged SES, which is a different issue than representation in medicine. The ORM/URM categories have less to do with the applicant's life and background and more (everything) to do with the needs of the patient population.
I have yet to see a single data point of disadvantaged applicants having lower lizzyMs on average compared to their more privileged peers. Leading me to my first statement of no one gives a ****.

The ORM/URM categories have less to do with the applicant's life and background and more (everything) to do with the needs of the patient population.
Yes. We need Martinez and White on those lacerations and GSW. You know a black patient once came to me as an impartial arbiter and asked me if his white doctor was giving him defective diabetes medications. Because his PCP brother from another mother prescribed him something else. Thank God the system is working as intended.

I have yet to see a single data point of disadvantaged applicants having lower lizzyMs on average compared to their more privileged peers. Leading me to my first statement of no one gives a ****.

Did I say anything about how SES affects application success? Nope. I did not.

Yes. We need Martinez and White on those lacerations and GSW. You know a black patient once came to me as an impartial arbiter and asked me if his white doctor was giving him defective diabetes medications. Because his PCP brother from another mother prescribed him something else. Thank God the system is working as intended.

Adcoms on here have explained so many times on so many threads what the goal of the URM thing is. You can disagree about its effectiveness all you want, but that doesn't change what their intent is.

I too am orm w the lowest ses EO thing. But I didn't mark it in my primary bc I didn't think working 2 jobs or having to take out loans was relevant to my application nor would it excuse anything.

I can definitely see how focusing on your hardships rather than your assets/resilience can negatively impact your app.

Not saying that this is the case here though

https://www.aamc.org/download/330166/data/seseffectivepractices.pdf

From 2013, but a pretty detailed breakdown of the SES status by AAMC
I have read this before. Unfortunately it only gives applicant information and shows the obvious , if you are ses disadvantaged you are likely to score lower on the mcat. The problem is , it does say that medical schools will accept you with lower stats. Infact an aamc white paper indicates that lower ses populations only constitute 15 % of matriculants. It does say that 23% of these matriculants have an mcat lower than 27. The problem is the confounding variables, are these applicants also urm?