Starting to lose hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldiva27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I applied to 14 schools and so far have only heard back from Midwestern-Arizona and have been put on the waitlist for an interview. It said in the email "Your application was deemed to posses enough merit to be held for future review and this should be viewed as a positive result. It is however impossible to predict if or when an interview invitation might be offered." After reading several posts on SDN it seems as though the likelihood of actually getting an interview after being waitlisted is slim. I submitted my apps pretty late in the cycle but I'm wondering what my chances are.

My GPA is a 3.54 and DAT AA 21/TS 21/PAT 18. I have 500+ hours of shadowing experience, have participated in 3 dental brigades to Central America, am participating in an upcoming dental clinic in Virginia, and currently work as a dental assistant under a dentist that is on the board at Penn Dental. However, after reading the stats of those who have received interviews, I feel like I don't stack up and am getting pretty discouraged.

How do I stay positive through this whole process and stop obsessively checking my email?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I only had like 2 interview invites in aug, with your grades. Patience, takes time.

Reactions: 1 user
How late did you submit your application? That may just result in most of your interviews being post-December, it's way too early in the cycle to be worried about the number of interview offers yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
How late did you submit your application? That may just result in most of your interviews being post-December, it's way too early in the cycle to be worried about the number of interview offers yet.

My application wasn't considered complete until August 22nd so very late and I'm worried that applying this late into the cycle really hurt my chances as well. :(

My application wasn't considered complete until August 22nd so very late and I'm worried that applying this late into the cycle really hurt my chances as well. :(

Your application completed just over a week ago. It generally takes way longer than that to hear back about interviews. Stay patient.

My app wasn't completed until September. I know it's tough, but you really shouldn't be stressing this early in the game. Have patience and interviews will come.

My app wasn't completed until September. I know it's tough, but you really shouldn't be stressing this early in the game. Have patience and interviews will come.

Did you get pre-December interviews?

I got 2 pre-December and 4 post. Stressing about something out of your control will really make the next several months hellish. I'd actually recommend uninstalling this app and staying busy doing anything but thinking about getting interviews until they come.