Starting to regret going into dental, give me better outlook.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your biggest concern of dentistry's future?

• Total voters

Murphy&Rue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am halfway thru dental school and just wanted to share my opinion, if nothing else to let off some frustration, and perhaps help someone who could use another perspective if they're still debating. Personally I don't care if you agree/disagree or if my post sways someone to do dentistry or not, the few that might change their minds would be instantly replaced by one of the thousands that apply each year. Below are a few things that make me less than optimistic of dentistry's future.

1) Saturation.
This has been discussed plenty already, you know the argument. Hope I don't have to move to boonies to make a good salary, doesn't seem like much of a reward after 8 years of schooling.

2) Average tuition/ debt of graduating dentist.
2 things here. 1) pressure to make money to pay off loans is going to push younger dentist to do practice unethically, which then effects everyone in the field as public perception/trust will go down. 2) Relying on the government for PAYE, IBR, whatever program they make, to be able to afford repayment....idk why but something tells me this is like making a deal with the devil haha.

3) Mid level providers/ dental therapist
A few states have passed it and others are talking about it. They will be competing for the bread and butter procedures (fillings, extractions, hygiene, etc).

4) Corporate expansion.
This isn't a good thing overall, some pros but mostly cons. More work for less pay, shareholders gotta make their money too haha. Potential for ethics problem, like a financial mnger pushing for profit, not pt best interest. Often they are given 1st choice on practices to buy cuz 1) they got the money and resources . 2) new grad's debt may limit/prevent from being able to buy a good practice.

5) https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170109092624.htm New drug to grow dentin. I know "caries vaccine" is all talk with a low threat level, but this seems more promising which would further reduce the need for dentist. Even if this drug doesn't end up panning out, eventually one will. Technology advances exponentially. Although I think there is already a miracle drug to prevent dental disease....its called brushing. But personally I think something like this would alter the profession.

There are other complaints I have but these are the ones that worry me most. My goal isn't to persuade anyone from changing their minds, just want to give you my honest opinion. In fact if you have anything to say to give me a better outlook then I'd be happy to hear it. Just don't tell me about how good your dentist is doing who graduated 15+years ago, I think its totally different now and will continue to change, especially in todays economic and political climate.

Also I know I'm still in dental school and don't have real life experience so maybe I'm totally wrong, I hope I am. I wish I would have done more research before dental school, I think it's still a good career and some people (hopefully me) will do well, but I also think were going to be seeing a lot of new grads struggle in the next decade or two.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Time to switch to pharm. easy work.

Reactions: 9 users
When you pursue a profession for the wrong reasons you end up unhappy. Maybe you should have had real life experience before you made such a life changing decision for yourself, and I can only encourage people to really know what they are getting into before diving head first.

The grass is always greener on the other side, and these are issues that could apply to many jobs out there

Members don't see this ad :)
5) https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170109092624.htm New drug to grow dentin. I know "caries vaccine" is all talk with a low threat level, but this seems more promising which would further reduce the need for dentist. Even if this drug doesn't end up panning out, eventually one will. Technology advances exponentially. Although I think there is already a miracle drug to prevent dental disease....its called brushing. But personally I think something like this would alter the profession.

I don't think this one will have any significant impact on dentistry. Regrowing enamel (not dentin) would be a big deal, but even then prescribing and monitoring the effectiveness of such a drug would still need a dentist.

2 things here. 1) pressure to make money to pay off loans is going to push younger dentist to do practice unethically, which then effects everyone in the field as public perception/trust will go down. 2) Relying on the government for PAYE, IBR, whatever program they make, to be able to afford repayment....idk why but something tells me this is like making a deal with the devil haha.

How much are you paying for school?

Dentistry is, by far, in the best position long-term in this country to succeed as a means of healthcare.

The profession may never hit the point like medicine where insurance coverage designates an oral health condition as a dire need to carry on and survive. Even with new periodontal disease links to rheumatoid arthritis, heart disease, and systemic disorders, there's just not enough evidence that poor health means you'll statistically die earlier. In fact, I think dentistry's current exchanges with insurance companies have peaked.

The only drawback that budding dentists must fight back on is joining corporations as an assembly-line provider - do whatever you can to stay autonomous! There's no reason that you can't succeed in private practice by yourself or with a couple buddies. If you don't think you can make it as a single private dentist, start seeking colleagues NOW to form future goals and ambitions to double your revenue! Dentistry is the only healthcare profession that allows you to truly succeed as a business - don't let it go to waste.

Reactions: 4 users
5) Natural tooth repair method, using Alzheimer's drug, could revolutionize dental treatments New drug to grow dentin. I know "caries vaccine" is all talk with a low threat level, but this seems more promising which would further reduce the need for dentist. Even if this drug doesn't end up panning out, eventually one will. Technology advances exponentially. Although I think there is already a miracle drug to prevent dental disease....its called brushing. But personally I think something like this would alter the profession..

I'm actually excited about this drug. I was trying to get some faculty and students together to study other aspects of it (GSK-3 antagonist; tideglusib) but that's another story...

So for this drug to work, you need to have a pulpal exposure to have access to its stem cells. It may serve well as a pulp capping procedure. The interesting thing about it is the degree and amount of reparative dentin that gets laid down. Takes about 6 weeks for reparative dentin to be established around a prepared site after an operative procedure. The dentist still has to surgically remove the infected dentin and the unsupported enamel. The dentist still has to replace the enamel with composite, so really, it's just another procedure that may be useful for the dentist to use. We're not going anywhere. Esterases in bacteria and saliva are still going to degrade the margins of our composites, and MMPs in our blood are still gonna deteriorate our composite bonds.

srep39654-f3.jpg

Promotion of natural tooth repair by small molecule GSK3 antagonists

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
@ncide wow thanks for the very informative post! very exciting

Reactions: 1 user
Mid-level providers aren't really going to be an issue for the most part. We lobby pretty well against them in a vast majority of states, there's just a few exceptions. The biggest concern for me is saturation, especially in cities, and debt.

I am halfway thru dental school and just wanted to share my opinion, if nothing else to let off some frustration, and perhaps help someone who could use another perspective if they're still debating. Personally I don't care if you agree/disagree or if my post sways someone to do dentistry or not, the few that might change their minds would be instantly replaced by one of the thousands that apply each year. Below are a few things that make me less than optimistic of dentistry's future.

1) Saturation.
This has been discussed plenty already, you know the argument. Hope I don't have to move to boonies to make a good salary, doesn't seem like much of a reward after 8 years of schooling.

A few states have passed it and others are talking about it. They will be competing for the bread and butter procedures (fillings, extractions, hygiene, etc).

4) Corporate expansion.
This isn't a good thing overall, some pros but mostly cons. More work for less pay, shareholders gotta make their money too haha. Potential for ethics problem, like a financial mnger pushing for profit, not pt best interest. Often they are given 1st choice on practices to buy cuz 1) they got the money and resources . 2) new grad's debt may limit/prevent from being able to buy a good practice.

There are other complaints I have but these are the ones that worry me most. My goal isn't to persuade anyone from changing their minds, just want to give you my honest opinion. In fact if you have anything to say to give me a better outlook then I'd be happy to hear it. Just don't tell me about how good your dentist is doing who graduated 15+years ago, I think its totally different now and will continue to change, especially in todays economic and political climate.

Also I know I'm still in dental school and don't have real life experience so maybe I'm totally wrong, I hope I am. I wish I would have done more research before dental school, I think it's still a good career and some people (hopefully me) will do well, but I also think were going to be seeing a lot of new grads struggle in the next decade or two.

1. Saturation- I guarantee even in the most saturated areas of the market, you won't find any starving dentists (granted if you don't have a redic amount of debt). You can move to the boonies to make a BETTER salary, but living in a city doesn't mean you can't survive. Find a niche or provide different services! If you really want to practice in a major city, specialize or do a 1 year GPR or AEGD so you can cast a wider net in terms of services provided. Keep your debt low (if possible) and maximize your business loan so you can buy the most expensive successful practice you can afford in a major city (there is such a thing as good debt and bad debt and business debt on a high cash flow business is good debt).

2. Okay so some dentists practice unethically... People still have to get fillings and extractions either way, so wouldn't it be better for you if word gets out that YOU are an ethical dentist? Screw everybody else! This is where personality/proper networking comes into play as well as staff training. Idk anything about government repayment programs though but it doesn't seem like a major issue.

3. Fight against mid level providers by joining dental political groups. If they start filling cavities, you start placing implants. Either way, most of these mid level providers require a dentist to be in the practice so I don't see it destroying the profession at least. Again, if this is a major stress for you, you can always specialize! Or, worst case, you can capitalize on this by hiring these mid-levels to work FOR you instead of against you and you can pay them less than you would an associate to do fillings and whatever, and you can hoard all the cool expensive complicated cases.

4. The more dentists that are private practice owners, the less power corporations have. Remember, corporations can't do it without us. BECOME A PRACTICE OWNER! If you're good at what you do, they won't be valid competition. Even with high debt, recent grads should push to become business owners ASAP! You can double your income, pay less taxes, and be your own boss and all the other jazz that comes with ownership. Business debt is good debt (fight me Dave Ramsey). Something that definitely does bother me is the increase in women in dentistry, as it's been said that women are 1/2 as likely than their male counterparts to open shop on their own. Women are a major source of people to pick from to fill corporate offices and most dental schools are 50/50 in genders now (mine is like 70 women/30 men this year!)

5. Doubt it'll take mass effect. Also as it has been said before, most of these are still procedures that require a dentist. Honestly something that will effect the profession more is that we will be practicing on the 2nd generation of Americans that use fluorinated tap water for the most part, which has reduced B&B dentistry. Also brushing and flossing is more common than before. However, dentistry almost by definition is a "custom" profession (can't mass sell crowns and dentures at Wal-Mart). Also much lower chance of having your job taken over in the next 5 years by automation where medicine is starting to go that route slowly as well as many many other jobs.

Reactions: 3 users

1) Saturation.

4) Corporate expansion.

Coming from a perspective of an ex-DA and current RDH throughout the years...

1. Saturation, yes but, you're not going to be without a job. Quality work and patient service/management is always a win. The saying once you're in you're in.

2.1 As long as you're honest with your treatment and you fight for your patients they'll do treatment. Maybe not all at once because that is an unrealistic expectation. A couple of fillings or a crown at a time.

2.2 I'm not familar with these programs so no input there. But, going back to 2.1 money will come in if youre honest with your treatment. Patients can smell a phony and have no problem not coming back to your office.

3. Dental therapists yes can do the most basic of dentistry but, there is a catch. Those practitioners must work in undeserved areas where there is a lack of doctors. Doctors usually dont work those areas because medicaid is a headache to deal with and brings in little reimbursement.

4. Corporate dentistry like any other office will want you to produce. Yes there are negatives but, if you're good as a clinician and an office leader you'll be fine. I have seen two types of new doctors in corporate dentistry and surprisingly does not have anything to do with be a great clinician. The one who are great office leaders are more productive than then the ones who just show up with no direction. The end of the day its corporate owned but run by drs.

5. Dentin vaccine aint happening. If they can barely get reminerlization of incipient caries at the enamal level for sure down. If they did it will ne for those type of decay, not the one that need larger restorations.

Hope this posts reassures you a bit.

Thanks for all the replies, some valid points were brought up. No doubt the profession is going to change dramatically during our careers and were just going to have to learn how to adapt. I wish I had done a bit more research before committing, I'm a little too invested (debt wise) at this point to change paths. I didn't go into dentistry just for financial reasons ( also helping people, autonomy, family balance, science, etc) but it was a big factor. I think I probably could have done something else, and I've even looked into the option of trying to get out of dentistry as fast as I could and pursue other careers (nothing planned yet), I know my perspective may change once Im in the real world, I hope it does.

Haha were in the middle of midterm exams and have had back to back test for 2.5 weeks, so I'm already stressed out. I saw the article about the miracle drug on FB and that was the tipping point. Honestly I think dentistry is on the tail end of being #1 job in America year after year, I just don't see it staying that way if school debt and corporate continue to metastasize, at least that will reduce some of the saturation problem lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the replies, some valid points were brought up. No doubt the profession is going to change dramatically during our careers and were just going to have to learn how to adapt. I wish I had done a bit more research before committing, I'm a little too invested (debt wise) at this point to change paths. I didn't go into dentistry just for financial reasons ( also helping people, autonomy, family balance, science, etc) but it was a big factor. I think I probably could have done something else, and I've even looked into the option of trying to get out of dentistry as fast as I could and pursue other careers (nothing planned yet), I know my perspective may change once Im in the real world, I hope it does.

Haha were in the middle of midterm exams and have had back to back test for 2.5 weeks, so I'm already stressed out. I saw the article about the miracle drug on FB and that was the tipping point. Honestly I think dentistry is on the tail end of being #1 job in America year after year, I just don't see it staying that way if school debt and corporate continue to metastasize, at least that will reduce some of the saturation problem lol.

If you don't mind sharing, how much debt are you looking at after you're done that you think it's career changing/depressing?

Last edited:
If you don't mind sharing, how much debt are you looking at after you're done that you think it's career changing?

It will probably be a little more that 250k, which I know is not too bad considering some people are in 400 or so. I really hope it doesn't have to come to that, I hope I will be satisfied with my salary, working on pts, location I find a job, etc.

Ive actually enjoyed dental school for the most part, but I guess if the perfect storm were to hit: having to move somewhere very undesirable to get a good job, having to deal with hostile competition, insurances getting even worse, more gov intervening , miracle drug! (jk) etc. Then I don't think I'd hesitate trying to find something else to do, if it were possible of course, the debt might prevent that from even being a possibility.

Haha. Fellow classmates with a pessimistic and depressing outlook on their career are exactly the kind if people I hope to avoid in the future.

It is what it is. At least the OP admitted he had zero life experience. When you have people that get fired or laid off and an "at-home" wife that is pregnant, then you'll be thankful you had a reliable career like being a dentist.

FYI, here's a link to think about (maybe someone can post it on that other "wreck your finances thread"):

"One obstetrician visit would cost $150. With an ultrasound each time, it would be $400. A Pap smear would cost $53. One set of blood tests would add another $300. All told, my prenatal care with all visits and tests included would be over $10,000. This is not counting labor and delivery, which in my area is estimated to be up to $30,000 for a vaginal birth and $50,000 for a cesarean section."
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-would-happen-if-i-couldnt-afford-health-care

Dental school sux! Can't wait till is over - t minus 6 weeks! Ahhh

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
1. Saturation- I guarantee even in the most saturated areas of the market, you won't find any starving dentists (granted if you don't have a redic amount of debt). You can move to the boonies to make a BETTER salary, but living in a city doesn't mean you can't survive. Find a niche or provide different services! If you really want to practice in a major city, specialize or do a 1 year GPR or AEGD so you can cast a wider net in terms of services provided. Keep your debt low (if possible) and maximize your business loan so you can buy the most expensive successful practice you can afford in a major city (there is such a thing as good debt and bad debt and business debt on a high cash flow business is good debt).

2. Okay so some dentists practice unethically... People still have to get fillings and extractions either way, so wouldn't it be better for you if word gets out that YOU are an ethical dentist? Screw everybody else! This is where personality/proper networking comes into play as well as staff training. Idk anything about government repayment programs though but it doesn't seem like a major issue.

3. Fight against mid level providers by joining dental political groups. If they start filling cavities, you start placing implants. Either way, most of these mid level providers require a dentist to be in the practice so I don't see it destroying the profession at least. Again, if this is a major stress for you, you can always specialize! Or, worst case, you can capitalize on this by hiring these mid-levels to work FOR you instead of against you and you can pay them less than you would an associate to do fillings and whatever, and you can hoard all the cool expensive complicated cases.

4. The more dentists that are private practice owners, the less power corporations have. Remember, corporations can't do it without us. BECOME A PRACTICE OWNER! If you're good at what you do, they won't be valid competition. Even with high debt, recent grads should push to become business owners ASAP! You can double your income, pay less taxes, and be your own boss and all the other jazz that comes with ownership. Business debt is good debt (fight me Dave Ramsey). Something that definitely does bother me is the increase in women in dentistry, as it's been said that women are 1/2 as likely than their male counterparts to open shop on their own. Women are a major source of people to pick from to fill corporate offices and most dental schools are 50/50 in genders now (mine is like 70 women/30 men this year!)

5. Doubt it'll take mass effect. Also as it has been said before, most of these are still procedures that require a dentist. Honestly something that will effect the profession more is that we will be practicing on the 2nd generation of Americans that use fluorinated tap water for the most part, which has reduced B&B dentistry. Also brushing and flossing is more common than before. However, dentistry almost by definition is a "custom" profession (can't mass sell crowns and dentures at Wal-Mart). Also much lower chance of having your job taken over in the next 5 years by automation where medicine is starting to go that route slowly as well as many many other jobs.

Plenty of truth in here. Too many dental students go from college, to dental school, to graduation without gaining an ounce of business management education. The best thing a current predent can do for his/her future debt is to become business savvy. Whether it be listening to podcasts (relentless dentist, dentistry uncensored, shared practices), or reading books (the energy bus, good to great, rich dad poor dad, intelligent investor). It's easy to just go into corporate, but the earning potentials, lifestyle, and future of the profession belong in private practices.

Reactions: 6 users
Dropping out is an option. There would no "regret" and it would minimize debt.

Reactions: 7 users
Dentistry will cost you an arm and a leg, but hey you didn't lose your entire body. @8_man

f8b0b3f7ed2655231b067b332a615356.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I just hope you seriously like dentistry. Been in practice for two years, was in the process of buying a practice-but if fell through....I haven't picked up a hand piece in 2 months and miss nothing except extractions... Funny. Some people would die to be a dentist, I wouldn't mind not doing any fillings for the next 6 months. Dentistry is cool and all working on 2 patients a day in school...it's a different story when it's 15-25 patients a day.

Decided to travel the world before going back to the grind. I have no debt though, so that helps. If I can find a different means of living I would do so...but alas dentistry is like golden handcuffs.

I def see the appeal of absentee owner/associate driven practice. Doing actual dentistry sucks on the back, emotional toll and undue stress. I have zero of that now and loving it. Don't get into the corporate grind and burnout like I did.

I'm going to def find a way to make the absentee model work. I've seen practices where owners don't work and make 100k a year off associates. That's good enough. Money isn't everything. Learn business and balance your life. At least dentistry can offer that lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
You worry a lot.

Here is another prospect!
Maybe I finish Dentistry and I kill myself! This is one of the concerns that people might have.

Or a more realistic one, maybe I finish Dentistry, and I get cancer, out of stupid stress because of stupid life that requires us to give too much for nothing in return. Oh yeah, we'll get a nice car and nice home, big deals. Way to work hard to pay that stupid debt. What a waste of good life!

But some of us don't have choices you know! We have dreams and there is life, and life sucks, you made it now, you are better than many of us, now don't screw it by worrying too much!

In dentistry, saturation is defined as having more than a dozen practitioners in a metro area with a population of 1 mil.

Reactions: 2 users
I think with cooperate they are going to ruin themselves. I've seen over expansiontoo fast. This is a bubble at the moment. Soon cooperate will be bleeding for patients to their high costs. Try to stay private, and LEARN business. -a degree is business is not what I mean. Trust me most business majors can't open or run a business cause they think in theory not practice.

**short, not complete reply, but some opinion

Last edited:
I think with cooperate their going to ruin themselves. I've seen over expansiontoo fast. This is a bubble at the moment. Soon cooperate will be bleeding for patients to their high costs. Try to stay private, and LEARN business. -a degree is business is not what I mean. Trust me most business majors can't open or run a business cause they think in theory not practice.

**short, not complete reply, but some opinion

I voted for MLP competition because googling it resulted in "My Little Pony" which I thought was funny.

I like dentistry biggest concern is the debt amount for me

In dentistry, saturation is defined as having more than a dozen practitioners in a metro area with a population of 1 mil.
Was this sarcasm? Arkansas (lowest dentist population ratio) has 412 dentists per 1 mil. The highest is D.C. with 885 per 1 mil.

Last edited:
You should also include the option of back pain and physical injury.

I know a lot of young dentists with pain already in various areas.

I used to get numbness in my left hand but I straightened up my posture and work out 5 days a week with swimming. Dentistry is physically tough. Dont underestimate it.

Just curious, what's so bad about pharm?
Sorry for such a late reply.... It's just a bunch of foolery to me. What is being taught in school and practice are very different. Pharmacy as a whole is supposed to be going through this shift from being mechanical to being more "clinical" and make the flow of the prescription process easier and faster, but the majority of corporations that profit from pharmacy practice are just looking for ways to bill insurance companies for more and get more prescriptions processed without using as much man power. Because of the boredom I experienced during my rotations with hospital pharmacy, I chose to do retail (which started out surprisingly very good). The requirements for pharmacist increase every year with no pay increase and with the increases comes more stress. The job market is very poor, in Florida alone there are over 1,000 pharmacists that graduate each year and definitely not enough positions for the ones that have already graduated. I could go on and on about the hours, the lack of sleep and the under-appreciation that one can experience in the world of pharmacy, but why? I'd rather switch careers, it's just that bad.

Time to switch to pharm. easy work.
Hahaha, everyone who believes this should please shadow a CVS or Wags pharmacist during their rush hour or work a 14 hour shift and then open the next morning.

Sorry for such a late reply.... It's just a bunch of foolery to me. What is being taught in school and practice are very different. Pharmacy as a whole is supposed to be going through this shift from being mechanical to being more "clinical" and make the flow of the prescription process easier and faster, but the majority of corporations that profit from pharmacy practice are just looking for ways to bill insurance companies for more and get more prescriptions processed without using as much man power. Because of the boredom I experienced during my rotations with hospital pharmacy, I chose to do retail (which started out surprisingly very good). The requirements for pharmacist increase every year with no pay increase and with the increases comes more stress. The job market is very poor, in Florida alone there are over 1,000 pharmacists that graduate each year and definitely not enough positions for the ones that have already graduated. I could go on and on about the hours, the lack of sleep and the under-appreciation that one can experience in the world of pharmacy, but why? I'd rather switch careers, it's just that bad.

I agree, I haven't finished my undergrad but looking at the job outlook in Pharmacy, it's pretty bad. I wish I had decided to be a dentist earlier though, since I wasn't really competitive in my previous years knowing that I didn't have to be that competitive for Pharmacy school. Gonna have to make my resume look better in other areas such as volunteering, shadowing a dentist, and obviously the DAT.