Starting to worry about step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have not been getting to do enough questions (200-300 into USMLERX).

Zanki is kind of overwhelming and still trying to fit in my class material as well.

Where should we be at this stage in regard to step prep? Do I have to get through zanki and a qbank before dedicated?

Anyone have some good schedule/strategies? I have a hard time with coming up with my own schedule and sticking to it since I feel like it's never enough and I end up trying to change things.

Members don't see this ad.

I wake up in the morning, watch a set of skethcy, eat breakfast, read first aid/pathoma of system that im learning at school, lunch/snacks , read firstaid/pathoma again then do UW of that system and fit zanki whenever i can is my typical day.

it sucks major big D.

Reactions: 2 users
I wake up in the morning, watch a set of skethcy, eat breakfast, read first aid/pathoma of system that im learning at school, lunch/snacks , read firstaid/pathoma again then do UW of that system and fit zanki whenever i can is my typical day.

it sucks major big D.
hmm, when are you going over class lectures? or clinical classes? or other classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont go to class but if i have to watch class lectures (1.5x speed) after sketchy in the morning before lunch or save them for one half a day on weekend.

Have not been getting to do enough questions (200-300 into USMLERX).

Zanki is kind of overwhelming and still trying to fit in my class material as well.

Where should we be at this stage in regard to step prep? Do I have to get through zanki and a qbank before dedicated?

Anyone have some good schedule/strategies? I have a hard time with coming up with my own schedule and sticking to it since I feel like it's never enough and I end up trying to change things.

I was similar.BacktoBasics8's Guide to USMLE Step 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I dont go to class but if i have to watch class lectures (1.5x speed) after sketchy in the morning before lunch or save them for one half a day on weekend.
You must got to an amazing school. I wish this would work for me, instead I'm too busy dealing with Powerpoints riddled with year 3 and 4 material. I'm seriously not sure how I'm going to manage to board study for more than an hour a week until dedicated. None of this makes any sense...

In your guide you said to trust your curriculum but what if I do not learn well from some professors? I know pathoma doesnt tackle every detail, but I have notices that zanki adds stuff that is not in there (maybe that supplements it enough)?

Did you design a daily schedule for your self? I know you listed the resources you used and how much you did per day, but did you follow like a weekly schedule to make sure you stayed on track?

Thanks for the response and making the guide. It helps me calm down.

Overall, if we have been a pretty good student through the first two years (honored/high passed all classes), from your experience, do you think those students score well? I sometime start thinking that often its a toss up, and altough ive done well, it doesnt mean i will do well on step (240+ is the goal but i dont know if that is considered difficult or just normal for a good student)

it sucks major big D.
I just cannot seem to get into a good groove with using FA. I guess i just feel like since it doesnt always flow well with class material order, i have a hard time organizing it.

In your guide you said to trust your curriculum but what if I do not learn well from some professors? I know pathoma doesnt tackle every detail, but I have notices that zanki adds stuff that is not in there (maybe that supplements it enough)?

Did you design a daily schedule for your self? I know you listed the resources you used and how much you did per day, but did you follow like a weekly schedule to make sure you stayed on track?

Thanks for the response and making the guide. It helps me calm down.

Overall, if we have been a pretty good student through the first two years (honored/high passed all classes), from your experience, do you think those students score well? I sometime start thinking that often its a toss up, and altough ive done well, it doesnt mean i will do well on step (240+ is the goal but i dont know if that is considered difficult or just normal for a good student)

240 is a modest goal to achieve for an honor student and I’m sure you it’s something you can achieve. The daily schedule is X questions per day during the year. Pacing yourself through First Aid lecture series while doing 2X UWord question after, that’s it.

I just cannot seem to get into a good groove with using FA. I guess i just feel like since it doesnt always flow well with class material order, i have a hard time organizing it.

I havent finished reading FA... but i hear from all the suucess stories and it invovled knowing FA well... my school goes my systems and I usually finish studying first pass on my school material then read FA just in order of whatever they put, embro/physio/anatom and etc.

Just gotta build a habit... and keep up the grind... few more months my friend...

I also do Zanki which supplements FA/Pathoma and at least that is fun... makes me feel like i actually completed something..

You must got to an amazing school. I wish this would work for me, instead I'm too busy dealing with Powerpoints riddled with year 3 and 4 material. I'm seriously not sure how I'm going to manage to board study for more than an hour a week until dedicated. None of this makes any sense...
Same. This infuriates me to no end. Our current course director even said she didn't care how we did on boards as long as we passed and that her goal was to make us into clinicians. Like wtf no now's not the time for that. My goal at this point is just to pass. **** classes. I'm done.

Reactions: 2 users