Starting your own Medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it take to start your own medical school in the US? Obviously, I'm never going to do it, but it made me think. You see all these useless online college commercials on TV, which just feed on people's desire to get a bachelors degree and those accredited colleges end up making a quite bit of money. Why doesn't some rich multimillionaire make his own medical school as an investment and do the same for premed students? It could be a garbage medical school, but I'm sure a bunch of people will still attend.

PS: I know that's the Caribbean. But what about the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What does it take to start your own medical school in the US? Obviously, I'm never going to do it, but it made me think. You see all these useless online college commercials on TV, which just feed on people's desire to get a bachelors degree and those accredited colleges end up making a quite bit of money. Why doesn't some rich multimillionaire make his own medical school as an investment and do the same for premed students? It could be a garbage medical school, but I'm sure a bunch of people will still attend.

#Northstate Medical School

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're underestimating the amount of money and legislative push it takes to start one.

Starting an MD school is pretty darn hard. Starting a DO school on the other hand...... lets just say if you have an empty Costco and 200 bucks COCA will work with ya.

Starting an MD school is pretty darn hard. Starting a DO school on the other hand...... lets just say if you have an empty Costco and 200 bucks COCA will work with ya.

Im in.

Costco medical school is the future!

Just search for the old threads on Stewart (basically a scam where someone set up a fly by night med school). Not easy to do legally.

Just getting your empty costco and teaching the first two years material is the easy part. The two snags are the accreditation, which requires millions in infrastructure to meet the requirements, and lining up places for rotations. Without rotations at established hospitals, you have nothing to offer.

Reactions: 4 users
GA PCOM did a nice job with their empty warehouse/industrial complex. Then again, it is PCOM. In pre-osteo, there have been some interesting points made regarding new DO schools. Some with great promise like MUSOM, which built its own building, and others like LUCOM, which some see as more or less "DeVry School of Medicine." I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, although I wouldn't apply to the latter. I'll just watch.

It would be cool to create a medical school entirely focused on self-study. No lectures. The notes are all provided. It seems like the majority of medical students don't find lecture helpful, and never go to class anyway.

Costco medical school is the future!

I here their law school is very prestigious:

Greeter: Hi, welcome to Costco. I love you.
Frito: Yeah, I know this place pretty good. I went to law school here.
Joe: You went to law school at Costco?
Frito: So did my father. Thank God for being a legacy, or else I might not have gotten in.

- Idiocracy

Reactions: 1 users

Frito: So did my father. Thank God for being a legacy, or else I might not have gotten in.

- Idiocracy

Law school is already a scam

Let's see, LCME requires faculty, the actual ability to conduct scientific and clinical research, a curriculum, rotation sites, polices, adequate space, post-graduate medical education ties...about $50 million ought to do it.

In short, people do not do what Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney did in the old Andy Hardy movies and say "hey, how about you and me open a medical school!?!"

Eevn the COCA has clamped down and become more seriously more rigorous in the process for DO schools. I've seen what MUCOM had to go through, and it's no song and dance like what TUCOM-NV did.

- Idiocracy

Brawndo: he thirst mutilator!

about $50 million ought to do it.

It would probably be cheaper to buy one already up and working.

(By "buy" I meant "donate enough that they make you president of the school")

It would help to have at your disposal an established university with classrooms, libraries, laboratories, affiliations with hospitals for training of students enrolled in allied health professions training. (eg. if you are already teaching human anatomy to PA students it isn't a big leap to have them share that lab space, cadaver storage space, locker rooms, etc with med students) Then you need to be bankrolled to hire med school administrators who will take several years to plan the curriculum and develop a myriad of policies, hire the faculty to teach, establish links for clinical training, , form committees and working groups, acquire space on campus and the equipment and supplies needed to teach the courses, and start the ball rolling to recruit the first class. This must all be done with the LCME (liaison committee on medical education) requirements for accreditation in your back pocket.

You see all these useless online college commercials on TV, which just feed on people's desire to get a bachelors degree and those accredited colleges end up making a quite bit of money. Why doesn't some rich multimillionaire make his own medical school as an investment and do the same for premed students?
As others have already said, if the school is going to have accreditation, the barriers to entry are quite high. But even if you ignore the high cost of entry, you'll never see TV commercials for money-grabbing medical schools because medical schools (unlike undergrad, business, and law schools) are not profitable: Funding a single student's clerkships costs more than a $45k - $55k tuition can cover.

Most universities that opened medical schools in the recent years did so to fulfill part of their mission statement, to increase their prestige, and/or increase their research presence in biology and health-related fields, not to make money.

Caribbean schools are an exception to the rule because of their high attrition rates. They make money on students during the preclinical years (single instructor giving a lecture to a room of three hundred students is very cost-effective) and flunk them out before they reach the clinical years and start to become a financial liability.

Last edited:
Just anything other than T14 law schools. If you have the time, there are some very entertaining blogs on third and fourth-tier schools.

I like the one with pictures of toilets