State licensing exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VetMedVetMed

-
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also posted this under the NAVLE sub-forum bc I was unsure of where to post this.

I am going to be taking the NAVLE this fall, and our school has not been super helpful on information regarding taking it, and in addition to taking and passing the NAVLE, what to do afterwards depending on where you practice (i.e. taking a state licensing exam). It’s all very confusing and my school has not given us much info at all about this. This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the purpose of having to take the NAVLE if you also have to take a state licensing exam too? Everyone has to pass the NAVLE, but are depending on where you practice, does every single state in the U.S. require you to also take a state licensing exam? I couldn’t find anything aside from this when I googled: Veterinary state board websites.

Are there any states that don’t require a state licensing exam? For example my friends in Maryland said all they had to do was take the Navle... how is that possible?

Also, do you ever need to take exams again once you’ve passed? Or do you have to just renew your license with NAVLE and your state every year by paying a fee or something? Like I said, our school has not given us any info on this and that’s why I’m so confused.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll probably have to put in your own legwork and look up individual state board websites where you’re considering living and see their requirements. Not all states require an individual board exam. Colorado didn’t require one when I lived there. Florida did require one that was based mostly on state laws and regulations. California requires a much larger one that covers rules and medical stuff. It’s up to the states.

In general there are no more exams after you pass NAVLE, as long as you maintain your license in at least one state. If you let your license lapse for several years you may have to retake NAVLE, but there’s no other tests for most people. You just do your CE and you’re good. (And as a related topic, some states make you send in documentation of your CE hours yearly and others just take it on faith but audit a percentage of licensees each year to make sure you’re doing it.)

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll probably have to put in your own legwork and look up individual state board websites where you’re considering living and see their requirements. Not all states require an individual board exam. Colorado didn’t require one when I lived there. Florida did require one that was based mostly on state laws and regulations. California requires a much larger one that covers rules and medical stuff. It’s up to the states.

In general there are no more exams after you pass NAVLE, as long as you maintain your license in at least one state. If you let your license lapse for several years you may have to retake NAVLE, but there’s no other tests for most people. You just do your CE and you’re good. (And as a related topic, some states make you send in documentation of your CE hours yearly and others just take it on faith but audit a percentage of licensees each year to make sure you’re doing it.)
Oh I see. Ok, thank you so much, that’s so helpful! I just wish there was a more clear website or info for what each state requires regarding a licensing exam. Can you be licensed in as many states as you want? When do people typically take their state exam? After they’ve taken the NAVLE so they’re not studying for both at the same time? Say you get a job in a state that requires a state licensing exam, if you have passed the NAVLE but not yet taken the state exam, can you still start your job until you do take it and pass? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see. Ok, thank you so much, that’s so helpful! I just wish there was a more clear website or info for what each state requires regarding a licensing exam. Can you be licensed in as many states as you want? When do people typically take their state exam? After they’ve taken the NAVLE so they’re not studying for both at the same time? Say you get a job in a state that requires a state licensing exam, if you have passed the NAVLE but not yet taken the state exam, can you still start your job until you do take it and pass? Thank you!
I know the two states I went for licensing in wanted my navle results to consider my application complete. I assume most states do, but I don’t know. I don’t think there’s a limit on the number of states you can be licensed in, though I imagine it can be cost prohibitive as there’s usually a couple hundred in fees to apply. Most states will require you have an active license before you can practice medicine independently in said state. You def don’t have to even think about state exams until way after NAVLE is done. You’ll probably take exams in some point between signing a contract and starting work. I know both of my states wanted a diploma/transcript before I could apply for licensure.

So you’ll need to pass the exam for your state. An exception to this is Louisiana. You’re required to do a preceptorship program at a board approved preceptor location. You make a salary of like 20k practicing under someone else’s license for 90 days while you take the board exam. Once you satisfy the preceptorship requirements, you become licensed. It’s a doozy. I’m unsure if other states do this.

I personally wouldn’t stress about passing state exams, especially right now. One of mine was emailed to me, open notes, with reduced questions.

And yeah, when you’re applying for licensure in a state, make sure you have sent them a NAVLE score report from whatever system ICVA uses that the name escapes me. You get like one free report to send when scores are released, but after that you must pay for all of them.

And yeah, when you’re applying for licensure in a state, make sure you have sent them a NAVLE score report from whatever system ICVA uses that the name escapes me. You get like one free report to send when scores are released, but after that you must pay for all of them.
Score transfers go through the AAVSB (am assoc of vet state boards) and cost $90 per state.

Score transfers go through the AAVSB (am assoc of vet state boards) and cost $90 per state.
So if we want to practice in a couple different states (such as ones that are very close to each other) I assume we would need to be licensed in each of those states to treat those animals legally? What if it is just a consultation over the phone (family members in other states are asking bc they‘ll I’m SURE have questions for me). Thank you all so much for your responses so far!!

So if we want to practice in a couple different states (such as ones that are very close to each other) I assume we would need to be licensed in each of those states to treat those animals legally? What if it is just a consultation over the phone (family members in other states are asking bc they‘ll I’m SURE have questions for me). Thank you all so much for your responses so far!!
Yes, you’ll need to pay to transfer your score to all states you want to be licensed in, pay their application fees, and take their test if applicable. I’ve been licensed in 3 states and each has cost 250-500 for the applications, then another ~200-300 every 1-2 years for maintaining that license. You have to be licensed in any state you practice in. But it’s based on where you practice, not where patients live. So if you live in Oklahoma near the border of Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas but only ever work at a practice in Oklahoma, you’d technically only need to be licensed in OK as long as you only saw patients at your clinic. Even if someone lived in TX, you can see them in OK as long as they visit you in OK where you’re licensed. If you’re ambulatory/mobile and drive into TX and KS to see patients, you’d need to be licensed in all three because you’re actively practicing vet Med in all three states.

Technically you would need to have examined family pets in the state(s) you’re licensed in for it to be legal I think. So using the states from before as an example, if you’re licensed in OK, TX, and KS you can’t write a script for Aunt Sally’s dog in Seattle you’ve never met. If Aunt Sally brought Rover to OK over Christmas and you examined Rover while he was there you could write a script for him for the next year since you officially established vcpr in your state. If you went to Aunt Sally’s house in Seattle you technically couldn’t write a rx even if you examined Rover because you’re not licensed in WA. Would it be questioned if you tried to just call something in for Aunt Sally? Probably not but what if it is. For me it’s not worth the risk so I won’t rx things for family unless I’ve actually seen the pet.

Reactions: 2 users
The state exams are nothing compared to NAVLE. Nothing to stress about.

Yes, you’ll need to pay to transfer your score to all states you want to be licensed in, pay their application fees, and take their test if applicable. I’ve been licensed in 3 states and each has cost 250-500 for the applications, then another ~200-300 every 1-2 years for maintaining that license. You have to be licensed in any state you practice in. But it’s based on where you practice, not where patients live. So if you live in Oklahoma near the border of Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas but only ever work at a practice in Oklahoma, you’d technically only need to be licensed in OK as long as you only saw patients at your clinic. Even if someone lived in TX, you can see them in OK as long as they visit you in OK where you’re licensed. If you’re ambulatory/mobile and drive into TX and KS to see patients, you’d need to be licensed in all three because you’re actively practicing vet Med in all three states.

Technically you would need to have examined family pets in the state(s) you’re licensed in for it to be legal I think. So using the states from before as an example, if you’re licensed in OK, TX, and KS you can’t write a script for Aunt Sally’s dog in Seattle you’ve never met. If Aunt Sally brought Rover to OK over Christmas and you examined Rover while he was there you could write a script for him for the next year since you officially established vcpr in your state. If you went to Aunt Sally’s house in Seattle you technically couldn’t write a rx even if you examined Rover because you’re not licensed in WA. Would it be questioned if you tried to just call something in for Aunt Sally? Probably not but what if it is. For me it’s not worth the risk so I won’t rx things for family unless I’ve actually seen the pet.
This is soooo helpful!!! Thank you SO much! You answered pretty much everything I wanted to know and exactly what I wanted to know, so thank you so much!!

Thank you so much for both of your replies! This has been so helpful!

The only one I heard of is probably really outdated by now...