State of Residence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hallucinated

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a New Jersey resident (my home is in NJ) but I go to Cornell for undergrad. I have lived off-campus for 2 years, would this qualify me as a NY state resident? I know I can't qualify for in-state tuition but should I apply as a NY resident to up my chances for New York state medical schools? (like stony brook)

Members don't see this ad.

typically, living in a state while you are pursuing educational endeavors does not give you residency status.

thus, you probably cannot apply as a NY resident.

Most schools require you to live in the state for 6 months-1 year while you're not attending school to qualify for instate residency. You could put your NY address on AMCAS and most schools will treat you like an in-state resident throughout the application cycle (how would they know otherwise) even if they determine you are not considered an in-state resident for tuition purposes (it varies from school to school so double check before you submit). You can also file your own tax return in NY (make sure your parents do not list you as a dependent on their new tax return), change your driver's license, etc and be declared in-state for tuition purposes. Every school has a different policy regarding in-state residency so contact them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am a New Jersey resident (my home is in NJ) but I go to Cornell for undergrad. I have lived off-campus for 2 years, would this qualify me as a NY state resident? I know I can't qualify for in-state tuition but should I apply as a NY resident to up my chances for New York state medical schools? (like stony brook)

I'd call the admissions office and ask. They most likely have a desk devoted to determining state residency. They can give you the straight answer.

In the end, I wouldn't try and pull a fast one on your AMCAS. You might end up being considered a resident of neither New Jersey or New York. Then you are doubly screwed.

It depends on the state- and your age. I'm at a private university in CA and live on campus. I was able to become a resident because I'm a grad student and am independent of my parents (the school is paying my tuition and paying a stipend). If your parents are paying your tuition, fees, etc. you might have a harder time (that's how it is in CA)
Also, if you search online, you might find the residency requirements for NY. It might tell you how long you need to live there without being there primarily for educational purposes, if voting is essential to your residency,etc.

Stony Brook's app tells me to check off whether I am applying as a NY resident, and then says something like "if your principal home address was not NY for 12 mos... then you will not be eligible for in-state tuition," which makes me believe that people can apply as NY resident without having to qualify for their in-state tuition requirements.

I just mailed the app with NY as my state, because I honestly don't think it will hurt me because I pretty much live in NY (went home for abour 4 weeks total last year) and I will be a part-time student next semester. But I hope this thread might help some other people so keep it up!

Texas schools don't use Amcas at all; so if one was a texas resident and went to school in new york, could they fill out Amcas as NY resident and fill out TXapp as TX resident? Do any NY schools give preference to NY residents (even if they dont qualify for in-state tuition)?

Texas schools don't use Amcas at all; so if one was a texas resident and went to school in new york, could they fill out Amcas as NY resident and fill out TXapp as TX resident? Do any NY schools give preference to NY residents (even if they dont qualify for in-state tuition)?

No, there is a ridiculous residency questionnaire as a part of the TMDSAS app. It would be pretty obvious after filling it out that you are not a resident. if you make certain claims, they would probably ask for documentation.

You have to submit documentation that you are a resident of the state you claim (driver's license, voter's reg, tax documents, car registration, etc). I'm currently changing my residency status and there's no way you could pull it off unless you just happen to have 2 identities...

Is it possible to be an American citizens without having a state residency? I lived in one state for a long time before going to college in a different state. During college my familial connections to my state of origin moved abroad and thus I no longer have any connections to that state. Where am I a resident?! There must be some states school I can apply to when the time comes that will consider me in-state. It would suck otherwise.

In that case, I would guess that your state of residence is where you pay your taxes (or your parents pay their taxes if they claim you as a dependent).

No, there is a ridiculous residency questionnaire as a part of the TMDSAS app. It would be pretty obvious after filling it out that you are not a resident. if you make certain claims, they would probably ask for documentation.

No, the issue is not Texas residency--I am a texas resident--my parents live there/pay taxes there, etc. I was wondering about the other side of things (amcas and NY residency)..The documetnation I have from NY is that I am going to school there, I work there and I have a campus address there.

No, the issue is not Texas residency--I am a texas resident--my parents live there/pay taxes there, etc. I was wondering about the other side of things (amcas and NY residency)..The documetnation I have from NY is that I am going to school there, I work there and I have a campus address there.

If your parents claim you as a dependent on their taxes, all of that is moot.

you're a texas resident only.

I think that Texas law states that once you claim residency somewhere else, you automatically lose Texas residency. So, SOL my friend.