State Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Regmata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are active duty, are you able to more or less pick the state that you call your state of residency?

Aside from your deployment state...

Members don't see this ad.

If you're overseas, I'm pretty sure you only get one chance to declare your state of residency and you must have a legitimate address in that state. If you're stateside, it depends on each state's laws whether you can declare residency there or not.

If you're overseas, I'm pretty sure you only get one chance to declare your state of residency and you must have a legitimate address in that state. If you're stateside, it depends on each state's laws whether you can declare residency there or not.

When you come on active duty you can keep your state of domicile as long as you are on active duty. Further, you can change it if you move to a new duty station and keep that one as long as you are on active duty. To my knowledge, you can't just pick a random state that you have not lived in, however.

Ed