State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrxcrunner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I have been viewing for a while but first time posting. I couldn't find a thread that really gives me the answer I am looking for, so maybe someone can help me out.

I am from Indiana, but have been attending college in Florida. I want to make sure that I qualify as a Florida state resident by the time I apply (next year this time). The 9 Florida schools versus 1 Indiana school makes it a pretty easy decision along with the fact that IU has likely never heard of my college in Fl (Florida Tech) while Fl schools have at least come across some applicants from here if no other knowledge of it.

This will be my 3rd year living off campus and I live here year round. I have had a job here in Fl, and am obtaining a license now (was waiting for the old one to expire). I am not sure what else I need to be doing... Also, I assume this will affect my parents ability to claim me as a dependent on their taxes back in IN?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I have been viewing for a while but first time posting. I couldn't find a thread that really gives me the answer I am looking for, so maybe someone can help me out.

I am from Indiana, but have been attending college in Florida. I want to make sure that I qualify as a Florida state resident by the time I apply (next year this time). The 9 Florida schools versus 1 Indiana school makes it a pretty easy decision along with the fact that IU has likely never heard of my college in Fl (Florida Tech) while Fl schools have at least come across some applicants from here if no other knowledge of it.

This will be my 3rd year living off campus and I live here year round. I have had a job here in Fl, and am obtaining a license now (was waiting for the old one to expire). I am not sure what else I need to be doing... Also, I assume this will affect my parents ability to claim me as a dependent on their taxes back in IN?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2010/1009.21

These are the legal statutes which apply to Florida residency and education there. It looks as though, if you're to be a dependent of your parents, you would not be eligible for FL resident status.

Though I guess, to qualify, there is this statute which describes specifically the requirements to declare residency http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/222.17 ... if you or your parents are paying for the place, then you're technically maintaining a residency in Florida... a FL resident on the forums or your school's pre-health committee ought to be able to answer this question better.

EDIT: In addition, either way you'll need to declare your new residency in court, it seems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I guess, to qualify, there is this statute which describes specifically the requirements to declare residency http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/222.17 ... if you or your parents are paying for the place, then you're technically maintaining a residency in Florida... a FL resident on the forums or your school's pre-health committee ought to be able to answer this question better.

EDIT: In addition, either way you'll need to declare your new residency in court, it seems.

Yes, this is what must be done. I had to do it.

I thought the norm was that attending college out-of-state didn't change your state of residence, even if you lived in an off-campus apartment and/or had a part-time job. Is Florida just different?

I live in FL and attended grad school in florida and this came up for a lot of out of state students who were independent when they moved to florida for school. the law was changed last year to specifically state that you cannot claim residency if you only moved to florida for education. it doesn't matter if you hold a job or live off campus while in school. the only way to qualify as in-state is to take a year off and stay in florida with a job to prove you weren't just here for education.
they're serious about this too. i moved here 11 months prior to my program starting (and prior to acceptance) to work and live with my long term boyfriend. i had to justify to the state that i had really moved here to live w/ my boyfriend and not because i intended to go to school here (which also meant that they interviewed my boyfriend and my employer). I had to pay out of state fees for the summer session (i missed it by 1 month) and then got in state for the remainder.
Edit: this also held true even if they bought/registered a car here and changed their IDs.

Last edited:
I live in FL and attended grad school in florida and this came up for a lot of out of state students who were independent when they moved to florida for school. the law was changed last year to specifically state that you cannot claim residency if you only moved to florida for education. it doesn't matter if you hold a job or live off campus while in school. the only way to qualify as in-state is to take a year off and stay in florida with a job to prove you weren't just here for education.
they're serious about this too. i moved here 11 months prior to my program starting (and prior to acceptance) to work and live with my long term boyfriend. i had to justify to the state that i had really moved here to live w/ my boyfriend and not because i intended to go to school here (which also meant that they interviewed my boyfriend and my employer). I had to pay out of state fees for the summer session (i missed it by 1 month) and then got in state for the remainder.
Edit: this also held true even if they bought/registered a car here and changed their IDs.

You seem to know a lot about the situation, and your info is much appreciated (although very dissapointing as well). From that link I have noticed this clause

"
(b) However, with respect to a dependent child living with an adult relative other than the child's parent, such child may qualify as a resident for tuition purposes if the adult relative is a legal resident who has maintained legal residence in this state for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the child's initial enrollment in an institution of higher education, provided the child has resided continuously with such relative for the 5 years immediately prior to the child's initial enrollment in an institution of higher education, during which time the adult relative has exercised day-to-day care, supervision, and control of the child."

I reside with my aunt who I am dependent upon. By the time of enrolling I will have lived with her for 4 years and 1 summer continuously. Does the fact that I do not return to IN even when not enrolled in school mean nothing to my residence? I have no desire to return. Also, will changing my dependency from my parents to my aunt help me in any way? If there is anything at all that could qualify me as a Fl state resident, I would be very grateful to hear of it.

I have no desire to return to IN for med school and am trying to keep costs low, just like everyone else. This has been my plan from the beginning of my freshman year here, and now it seems to not be an option.

Also, I am not sure what/how to declare my residency in court. Further info?

My understanding of the clause is that you would have had to live w/ your aunt for 5 years prior to enrolling in higher education (i.e. starting in 8th grade) because I don't think that your aunt has been taking care of you for 5 years day in and day out...you might be able to get an exception for 2nd-4th year though. you can try calling one of the florida fin aid offices and ask about your specific situation.

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I am still trying to clarify a few things.

I tried looking into what certain schools accept as proof of residence but it seems like it varies with each school.

How exactly do I go about declaring my residency in court? I am doing all that I can to have as much evidence as possible of my residence, and that would certainly help.

Also, it is clear now that I will need my aunt to claim me as a dependent on her taxes in April, which isn't an issue. My question is if this affects my FAFSA and FAP applications. These financial aid programs are based upon who claims me as a dependent aren't they? Or are my parents still responsible for filling out these forms even if they are not the ones claiming me?

Once again, any advice about FL residency is greatly appreciated. The last thing I want is to go through all of this trouble just to be left without any state residency (since if I get denied by FL then it will probably be too late for IN I am guessing).

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I am still trying to clarify a few things.

I tried looking into what certain schools accept as proof of residence but it seems like it varies with each school.

How exactly do I go about declaring my residency in court? I am doing all that I can to have as much evidence as possible of my residence, and that would certainly help.

Also, it is clear now that I will need my aunt to claim me as a dependent on her taxes in April, which isn't an issue. My question is if this affects my FAFSA and FAP applications. These financial aid programs are based upon who claims me as a dependent aren't they? Or are my parents still responsible for filling out these forms even if they are not the ones claiming me?

Once again, any advice about FL residency is greatly appreciated. The last thing I want is to go through all of this trouble just to be left without any state residency (since if I get denied by FL then it will probably be too late for IN I am guessing).

It's just my opinion, of course, but I say go with the sure bet(if it is a sure bet): Indiana residency. I've had a friend who was unlucky enough to be left with no state residency. I'm in a similar position. I grew up in GA, and went to grad school in AL. I lost my GA residency a year after I graduated. I was not an AL state resident in my five years of grad school despite paying federal/state income taxes in AL and not returning home for the summer. Though, with full disclosure in mind, I didn't have family in the area either.

Regardless, right now I may or may not have AL state residency despite living here nearly two years while out of school, paying taxes here for 7 years, and maintaining the same address for the last four years. It's completely within the realm of possibility that I will be denied AL state residency and thus have no state of residency. Common sense does not seem to apply to state residency situations. It's more so what will stand up in court.

My advice is to talk to each school you're interested in applying to in order to get their specific residency requirements. However, be conservative. If your ability to get FL residency is shaky, don't take a gamble. You'll risk get screwed by doing so. Double check your Indiana residency as well. You do not want to be caught without a state school that will consider you a resident.

Interesting, the idea of not being able to claim residency in ANY state makes no sense to me. While I am confident I could still pull off IN residency, I really consider this my last possible option.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are being determined a FL state resident for acceptance purposes and for tuition purposes entirely separate? When I submit my amcas form, and mark my state of residency as FL am I not going to be judged as a FL state resident when it comes to interviews/acceptances? I realize I may be screwed when it comes to proper documentation for tuition purposes, but just the preference in acceptance would be nice.

Even if there are certain schools which accept my documentation of residency (FL drivers license, voter's registration, bills and such at FL residency, legal dependency on Aunt who is a FL resident) and others that do not, this is still better than being a resident of IN for me. I have no desire to return for school or life.

If I can not get FL residency I will likely try for private institutions. Thanks for the advice though.

Interesting, the idea of not being able to claim residency in ANY state makes no sense to me. While I am confident I could still pull off IN residency, I really consider this my last possible option.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are being determined a FL state resident for acceptance purposes and for tuition purposes entirely separate? When I submit my amcas form, and mark my state of residency as FL am I not going to be judged as a FL state resident when it comes to interviews/acceptances? I realize I may be screwed when it comes to proper documentation for tuition purposes, but just the preference in acceptance would be nice.

Even if there are certain schools which accept my documentation of residency (FL drivers license, voter's registration, bills and such at FL residency, legal dependency on Aunt who is a FL resident) and others that do not, this is still better than being a resident of IN for me. I have no desire to return for school or life.

If I can not get FL residency I will likely try for private institutions. Thanks for the advice though.

Just because you claim a state as your state of residency does not mean it can't be disputed. Using myself as an example again, I initially applied as a GA state resident as I thought I was still considered to be in a different state for educational purposes. I was told by MCG, despite having all of the required residency documents (driver's license, car insurance, voter's registration, current bill, etc.), I would not be considered a state resident of GA even if I applied as one. They would throw my application in the OOS bin, regardless. Thankfully this was two days after primary applications were forwarded to med schools, so I did have time to change my state of residency. I wouldn't have been as lucky if the state school I applied to did not send out guaranteed secondary apps to all state residents. [SN: GA may be a bit more strict on residency rules than FL considering the whole illegal-immigrant-attending-Kennesaw-State-University-on-the-tax-payer's-dime fiasco that popped up a couple years ago. However, it seems like many of the adjacent states are adopting strict requirements as well. But that's anecdotal evidence, nothing firm.]

As for whether acceptance/tuition are independently reviewed, I can't give you an answer on that. I think you'd have to consult an actual Adcom. I do know that my friend had her state residency status disputed after an interview but prior to an admissions decision. That argues that state residency is carefully scrutinized prior to an admission's decision... but I don't know if that's a fact or even something that all other medical school do.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. Like everyone else on SDN, I don't know everything. I can just tell you about my experience with state residency problems. It's not fun. Best of luck :luck:

Last edited:
You have to sign the following document and meet the following conditions (at U Miami):

FLORIDA RESIDENCY STATEMENT

I, ______________________________________ state that:
(Student's full legal name)

1. I AM INDEPENDENT and I have
2. I AM DEPENDENT and my parent or guardian has
3. I AM CLAIMING RESIDENCY THROUGH MARRIAGE and my spouse has

been a legal resident of the State of Florida for twelve consecutive months prior to the date on which the first day of classes will be held at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in the year for which I am applying for entry, and have/has maintained a bona fide domicile rather than a temporary residence or abode incident to my enrollment in an institution of higher education, and that as such, I am entitled to classification as a Florida resident as defined in Section 240.1201 of the Florida Statutes.

Signature_________________________________________ Date________________

source: http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Admissions/Residency.htm

I would look up that Florida Statutes section and check what it states.

EDIT: and OP, by the bold section, it looks as if you might not qualify.

Last edited:
That certainly does imply that I would not be eligible, but on the other hand UF's residency requirements state that I only need proof that my aunt claims me as a dependent and two forms that prove her residency for at least a year. In this case I would definitely be a resident. If there are multiple schools that have a similar policy, I am going to continue my pursuit. Worst case scenario I have private schools.

(http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/residency/exc7.html)

Thanks again for all the input.

No one has quite addressed the question of whether I will use my aunt, who is going to claim me as a dependent, for my FAFSA and FAP forms or still use my parents who are not claiming me.