State Resident Preference for Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staroceanX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about how each pharmacy school value the state of residency status of each applicant. For example, would UCSF / UCSD favor CA residents applicants over other state residents? If yes, do other state schools (UF, UMB, UW, etc...) do the same thing as well?

some numbers for UCSF admission: 81 in-state, 7 out-state, 3 foreign

Members don't see this ad.

unless they are private the answer would be yes they prefer instate students.

From what I've seen, pharmacy schools favor in-state residents very heavily. I imagine you need really good credentials to get in as an out-of-stater.

Members don't see this ad :)
Public schools do favor in state students quite heavily, although I think the UC's are really skewed in that direction in comparison to other state schools. Private schools do not have such a disparity, at least from what I've seen.

FutureRxGal said:
Although MWU - Downers Grove is private, they still charge out-of-state tuition fees to out-of-state students.
So does Nova Southeastern....This is common in states that have a severe shortage. The state will help subsidize in-state students, and there usually is a limit on it as well. This will help influence some private schools to take state residents first.