State Resident Preference for Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

staroceanX

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering about how each pharmacy school value the state of residency status of each applicant. For example, would UCSF / UCSD favor CA residents applicants over other state residents? If yes, do other state schools (UF, UMB, UW, etc...) do the same thing as well?

some numbers for UCSF admission: 81 in-state, 7 out-state, 3 foreign
 
From what I've seen, pharmacy schools favor in-state residents very heavily. I imagine you need really good credentials to get in as an out-of-stater.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Public schools do favor in state students quite heavily, although I think the UC's are really skewed in that direction in comparison to other state schools. Private schools do not have such a disparity, at least from what I've seen.
 
FutureRxGal said:
Although MWU - Downers Grove is private, they still charge out-of-state tuition fees to out-of-state students.
So does Nova Southeastern....This is common in states that have a severe shortage. The state will help subsidize in-state students, and there usually is a limit on it as well. This will help influence some private schools to take state residents first.