State School vs Private

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Pepper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has probably been discussed into the ground but I'd like some fresh insight into it. I have a 3.8 gpa with a 9v 9p 10 mcat score... What are the real advantages to going to a top 20 school vs your state school? It will cost 3x to 4x to goto the top 20 school and I will probably have only a fair chance at getting an interview without retaking the mcat and a strong chance at the state school edp..

I am aiming on getting a meds/peds or just an internal medicine residency that I can subspecialize in later?

Anyone have any personal experience or a cost/benefit analysis?

Members don't see this ad.

This GREATLY depends on what state school you're talking about. . .

e.g. UCSF, UCLA, University of Washington, UNC Chapel Hill, U Mich all qualify as state schools.

Ok, fair enough..

The state school is not well known like UNC, UCSF, etc, and is not in the top 50..

Members don't see this ad :)
What are we going to play 20 questions.
What is the state schools and which top school do you want to get into.

AK

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
•What are we going to play 20 questions.
What is the state schools and which top school do you want to get into.

AK•••••Seriously, Mr. Pibb :wink: , just give us the details. . . :p

The cost may or may not be more for a private school. Here's my situation. I got into MCG - my state school, as well as UNC out of state, Emory, and Mount Sinai. MCG of course would have been the least costly at around $60,000 in debt after 4 years (esp. considering they gave me a scholarship), but I wasn't so keen on Augusta, GA. Now UNC was nice and gave me a small scholarship, but the out of state tuition would have put me over $160,000 in debt after 4 years (no guarantees on getting in state tuition there). Now for the private schools. Emory offered $16,000 per year in grant money since I had need as determined by FAFSA, leaving a four year debt of $120,000. Mount Sinai offered $20,000 per year in grant money, leaving $100,000 of debt after 4 years, plus interest free loans of three different varieties. Thus, I considered the difference between Mount Sinai and MCG to be very small in terms of finances, but huge in terms of living and cultural experiences. As you can see from these numbers, the actual cost varies greatly depending on your specific financial situation (and that of your parents). Private schools have MUCH more money to offer for grants and scholarships than state schools. If you have need or are an exceptional applicant, you can probably expect to get grant or scholarship money from the privates (some but not all, I hear Harvard can be "stingy"). So, apply to lots of places, and don't limit yourself based upon the published numbers, because your financial situation is unique, and each schools' financial package will also be unique. Go where you will be HAPPIEST, considering ALL factors.

Alright, I'll be more specific since you guys are demanding.

I may be limited to Georgia or the surrounding area due to family considerations. Wouldn't mind going to UNC though.

The schools involved are MCG and Emory to be short.. I'm strongly competitive at MCG, and marginally competitve at Emory as far as the mcat goes.. Strong ec's, leadership, no research experience.. 28P , mcat fairly even 9 9 10 . 3.8 gpa..

MCG accepts more people statistically early decision so it puts you in a place between a rock and a hard place..

That's a toough question to ask. I'm from Calfornia, so a lot of my state schools are either in the top 10 or top 20 and they're really cheap. So it all depends on which state you come from.

One question that is TOTALLY off the topic. What does BUMP mean and IMHO? This question is totally irrelavent but I have to know, just curious?

BUMP = Bring Up My Post
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Thanks that clarifies everything.