State-specific DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adilpickle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am applying to DO schools right now and I was wondering if any of the 25 schools are state-specific or not? You know like how some MD schools (like the one in New Mexico) only accept residents of New Mexico? I was wondering if any DO schools were like that as well, because I don't wanna apply to DO schools I'm not a resident of and waste money.

Please let me know thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oklahoma State accepts something like 85% in state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am applying to DO schools right now and I was wondering if any of the 25 schools are state-specific or not? You know like how some MD schools (like the one in New Mexico) only accept residents of New Mexico? I was wondering if any DO schools were like that as well, because I don't wanna apply to DO schools I'm not a resident of and waste money.

Please let me know thanks!

I was not aware that New Mexico had a D.O. School

I was not aware that New Mexico had a D.O. School

The OP used New Mexico as an MD example and was asking about which DO schools would be best as an out of state applicant.

Ohio U basically takes all in state applicants. I once read somewhere on here that NYCOM takes mostly NY residents but you may want to check on that one.

MSU-COM accepts a really high percentage of in-state applicants. I believe it usually lies between 80-90% in state. Also, the OOS tuition is really high (~$65,000/year last time I checked).

the only 3 schools i didnt click on aacomas were michigan, ohio, oklahoma

Ohio U basically takes all in state applicants. I once read somewhere on here that NYCOM takes mostly NY residents but you may want to check on that one.

OOS OU matriculants need to sign a contract that they will practice in Ohio after graduation for at least 5 years. This is why almost everybody in OU are Ohio residents.

OOS OU matriculants need to sign a contract that they will practice in Ohio after graduation for at least 5 years. This is why almost everybody in OU are Ohio residents.

Wow! What is the penalty for breaking that, do they rescind your degree? Just curious.

I don't know. Being an Ohio resident, I didn't investigate it any further.

wow! I had no idea. It's not like we've got a shortage of medical schools here in Ohio :eek:

wow! I had no idea. It's not like we've got a shortage of medical schools here in Ohio :eek:
Seriously. Aside from TX and maybe Fl, I think OH is the best place to be a resident of. 5 public allo schools and 1 public DO school with a low population of applicants. Well, OSU takes a lot of OOSers, but still...