State your status 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niuboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are u ready for the 2010 application session. What are u doing to spice up your road to dental school?

As for me, I'm taking the rest of my pre reqs, shadowing, research volunteering. Hoping to do the Gateway to dentistry program in the summer and taking the DAT....over to u fellow predents

Members don't see this ad.

So far my DAT plan is studying Dec-Feb and possibly taking in late Feb/Mar...finished with my pre-reqs. so just taking some upper level bio classes now. Volunteering at a dental clinic, doing some research, participating in some clubs/leadership things on campus...trying mostly to focus on keeping my GPA up.

I'm on the same path as the both of you. Studying my booty off until May for the DAT., joining clubs/honors college, volunteering, shadowing, trying to get LORS.

Best of luck to everyone in the 2010 cycle!!! Lately I have been thinking about the applying a lot. I guess it's the season. I can't believe we will be there soon. So crazy!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I eat pepper everyday...

I eat pepper everyday...

LOL

ive been doing:
-my pre-reqs (orgo, and bio 2 next semester)
-getting letters of recommendation
-working hard in my pre-dental secretary position (hopefully president next year)
-working hard in all of my other extra curriculars and classes
-shadowing
-planning my summer of DAT studying
-figuring out a 'manual dexterity' hobby

am i missing anything? lol :)

-getting letters of rec
-finishing up classes this semester
-getting shadowing hrs in
-eventually start ps and essays for masters programs.

LOL

ive been doing:
-my pre-reqs (orgo, and bio 2 next semester)
-getting letters of recommendation
-working hard in my pre-dental secretary position (hopefully president next year)
-working hard in all of my other extra curriculars and classes
-shadowing
-planning my summer of DAT studying
-figuring out a 'manual dexterity' hobby

am i missing anything? lol :)

Research, not required but looks good!!!

Research, not required but looks good!!!

unfortunately i dont have time for research this year... does research still look good if it is done senior year (aka after i applied to ds)? thanks!

unfortunately i dont have time for research this year... does research still look good if it is done senior year (aka after i applied to ds)? thanks!

Doesn't hurt. A lot of times interviewers will ask what you've been up to since you applied, and talking about research would be great.

Also it's a good idea just in case you'll need to re-apply.

thanks for your answer, ill definitely be looking into doing research :)

out of curiosity, how do you get LOR beforehand?
Dont you have to wait til May 15?

out of curiosity, how do you get LOR beforehand?
Dont you have to wait til May 15?

Most likely, your school has a service that keeps all of your rec letters until needed. Ask advising.

My school has a Health Professions Office (HPO). they have a form to be filled out with the letter of recommendation. ive been giving professors, and others who are writing my letter of recommendations, this form along with my resume, in an envelope addressed to the HPO (with a stamp and return address to my home).

im not sure how it is done at smaller schools without health offices, but this is how it is generally done at (bigger) schools with Health Offices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys,
unfortunately, my school doesn't have such committee,
it looks like I am gonna have to bust my balls once again asking for letters :(

I will be taking Biochem my last pre req along with upper divsion biology classes to satisfy my minor. However, UNLV requires 4 LOR's and I only have 3 so far. Also, I plan to take my DAT in Jan. 13:eek:. As far as research goes I got one semster so far, but I don't think I'll be able to continue next semester due to clinical hours in my degree.
Anybody out there applying to UNLV (instate)?:)

I will be taking Biochem my last pre req along with upper divsion biology classes to satisfy my minor. However, UNLV requires 4 LOR's and I only have 3 so far. Also, I plan to take my DAT in Jan. 13:eek:. As far as research goes I got one semster so far, but I don't think I'll be able to continue next semester due to clinical hours in my degree.
Anybody out there applying to UNLV (instate)?:)

And you are in the military? Big ups to you. :thumbup:

Thanks dental magnet, I was in the navy 5 years, I've been out for 2. I was dental tech and hospital corpsman, I am now workning on getting into dental school and actually going back to the navy, as a dentist through their HSCP scholarship.:D

My school has a Health Professions Office (HPO). they have a form to be filled out with the letter of recommendation. ive been giving professors, and others who are writing my letter of recommendations, this form along with my resume, in an envelope addressed to the HPO (with a stamp and return address to my home).

im not sure how it is done at smaller schools without health offices, but this is how it is generally done at (bigger) schools with Health Offices.

You mean returned back to your HPO? You aren't supposed to see those you know

Thanks dental magnet, I was in the navy 5 years, I've been out for 2. I was dental tech and hospital corpsman, I am now workning on getting into dental school and actually going back to the navy, as a dentist through their HSCP scholarship.:D

My father is a dental tech and wishes he could go back and be a Dentist...you still did undergrad studies right?

Well, I'm finishing up my M.S. in Dec then studying to test in May. I'm job hunting right now..already working on my personal statement! Good Luck everyone and LETS GET IT!!!:)

You mean returned back to your HPO? You aren't supposed to see those you know

I figured that worse comes to worse, if the letter is returned to my home address I can bring it in the the HPO. I'd rather that than have a lost letter of recommendation. I wouldnt look at the letter because it is unethical, especially since I sign my rights away.

I figured that worse comes to worse, if the letter is returned to my home address I can bring it in the the HPO. I'd rather that than have a lost letter of recommendation. I wouldnt look at the letter because it is unethical, especially since I sign my rights away.

lol just have them sent through campus mail, you don't need a stamp if its within the campus, maybe its different for every school

lol just have them sent through campus mail, you don't need a stamp if its within the campus, maybe its different for every school

ive heard about that before, but im not sure how to do it. i feel its better safe than sorry.