States with Available Pharm Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmDGrad2010

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello

I'm currently in Michigan and needless to say - that place is dead (at least for hospital jobs). So pretty much I am about to take my Naplex and I want to take the opportunity to transfer my score to some states. Currently, I only have Florida as a transfer option (a friend I have transferred there). So my question is (sorry if it is stupid) - what states currently have a need... or at least the jobs aren't scarce for hospital staff pharmacist? Any advice/feedback/criticism is appreciated.
 
Hello

I'm currently in Michigan and needless to say - that place is dead (at least for hospital jobs). So pretty much I am about to take my Naplex and I want to take the opportunity to transfer my score to some states. Currently, I only have Florida as a transfer option (a friend I have transferred there). So my question is (sorry if it is stupid) - what states currently have a need... or at least the jobs aren't scarce for hospital staff pharmacist? Any advice/feedback/criticism is appreciated.

There are probably no jobs left anywhere in the country. Good luck to all of us.
 
Its going to be really bad in 4 years... I figured if I cant find a job within the loan grace period the wife and I are running away to a foreign country. I'll use my Canadian citizenship for a while until they catch up to me there, then head overseas somewhere. Details to be worked out later lol. I always wondered what the key amount of debt is for a company to hire someone to track you down overseas... anybody know?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^LOLOLOLOL

I'm Canadian too. I'm 188K in dept (undergrad + grad fees total) because of out of state fees. It's a killer I know. I don't want to settle for a community pharmacy position because I know once I get in, I won't be able to get out. Please don't ask me why I don't want community - I have countless reasons and besides I want to do the work I love (and that is hospital work).

So far so bad... hopefully someone here knows something
 
Its going to be really bad in 4 years... I figured if I cant find a job within the loan grace period the wife and I are running away to a foreign country. I'll use my Canadian citizenship for a while until they catch up to me there, then head overseas somewhere. Details to be worked out later lol. I always wondered what the key amount of debt is for a company to hire someone to track you down overseas... anybody know?
I've looked into this. As long as you are not US employed, they can not garnish your wages. You will not be able to enter the US again since you will have warrants out for you, but they will not come to another country looking for you over student loans. It is an option for the grads who will have $200K+ coming out of school soon, lol.
 
I've looked into this. As long as you are not US employed, they can not garnish your wages. You will not be able to enter the US again since you will have warrants out for you, but they will not come to another country looking for you over student loans. It is an option for the grads who will have $200K+ coming out of school soon, lol.

Seeing as how you looked into this. Can you still use your transcripts and take the PEBC and obtain licensure in Canada to practice pharmacy? Or is that out of the question. I heard that schools can refuse to send official transcripts once you default on your loans. Anyone got some specific info?
 
Seeing as how you looked into this. Can you still use your transcripts and take the PEBC and obtain licensure in Canada to practice pharmacy? Or is that out of the question. I heard that schools can refuse to send official transcripts once you default on your loans. Anyone got some specific info?

Use the 6 month grace period on your student loans to obtain a license in the country you want to move, or pay the minimum payment until you have licensure completed.
 
I'm not saying this is my first course of action. I fully plan on working as a U.S. pharmacist and repaying all my loans in full. This was my original plan and will continue to be my plan. But if the s**t hits the fan and I can't find a job and loans go into default I'm going to do what any other human would do for his family. Come to think of it, there a lot worse than defaulting on debt, that I would do to protect and help my loved ones if it came down to it. I pretty sure I'm not alone either.
 
But if the s**t hits the fan and I can't find a job and loans go into default I'm going to do what any other human would do for his family.

You're going to teach them that running away from responsibility when times get tough is the answer?

Great lesson to teach the kiddies.:meanie:
 
You're going to teach them that running away from responsibility when times get tough is the answer?

Great lesson to teach the kiddies.:meanie:

If it came down to our family having to sleep in community shelters every night versus a better life, I'd choose the later. I have a hard time seeing the difference between what immigrants came to this country 50 to 100 years ago for (opportunity), and what current (select) citizens face now. When opportunity presents itself elsewhere and your out of options, what else is there to do? And I wouldn't be ashamed of it at all. You talk BIG GAME. I wonder how you'd actually manage such a real life situation, heaven forbid. Not to wish that on anyone.
 
If it came down to our family having to sleep in community shelters every night versus a better life, I'd choose the later. I have a hard time seeing the difference between what immigrants came to this country 50 to 100 years ago for (opportunity), and what current (select) citizens face now. When opportunity presents itself elsewhere and your out of options, what else is there to do? And I wouldn't be ashamed of it at all. You talk BIG GAME. I wonder how you'd actually manage such a real life situation, heaven forbid. Not to wish that on anyone.

You're example of sleeping in a community shelter is so much BS. No way as a pharmacist are you gonna choose between living in a shelter or moving abroad. Ridiculous.
 
You're example of sleeping in a community shelter is so much BS. No way as a pharmacist are you gonna choose between living in a shelter or moving abroad. Ridiculous.

My thought too. Some people have no concept of responsibility, they will try to justify their actions anyway they can. This same thought path would lead them to stealing medication and selling it if "s**t hit the fan" and in their mind it would be justified. Not paying back your loans is stealing so it is not a far stretch to think they would steal medication.

Hopefully they do not pass this loose moral code on to any offspring.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're example of sleeping in a community shelter is so much BS. No way as a pharmacist are you gonna choose between living in a shelter or moving abroad. Ridiculous.

Trying to illustrate a point, I realize my hypothetical situation was extreme. Yet, everyone is patriotic and loyal to their responsibilities only to a point. Humans by nature of driven my self-interest and the interests of their loved ones. It may be sad, but its true.
 
My thought too. Some people have no concept of responsibility, they will try to justify their actions anyway they can. This same thought path would lead them to stealing medication and selling it if "s**t hit the fan" and in their mind it would be justified. Not paying back your loans is stealing so it is not a far stretch to think they would steal medication.

Hopefully they do not pass this loose moral code on to any offspring.

Get off your thrown... Seriously? Can you tell me just how far you would go to ensure all your burdens and responsibilities for your whole entire life were satisfied if you know you didn't have the means to right them?

And since your furthered the extreme rationalizations, if your own kid was having an asthma attack and you couldn't afford his inhaler that day, your telling me you'd let him die? Get real!
 
you could always just go on IBR, get a job at mcdonalds, and pay $5 a month on your loans. this is my backup plan if there are no jobs
 
you could always just go on IBR, get a job at mcdonalds, and pay $5 a month on your loans. this is my backup plan if there are no jobs

Wheres the "like this" button? But in all seriousness, this is great for direct loans, but not so great for private. Sometimes I wonder how long the IBR program will stick around? It seems too go to be true.
 
Wheres the "like this" button? But in all seriousness, this is great for direct loans, but not so great for private. Sometimes I wonder how long the IBR program will stick around? It seems too go to be true.

Considering they just expanded it and that you can "lock in" it seems like a reasonable bet. Personally it was the thing that tipped me toward choosing pharmacy.

And who takes out a lot of private loans? I havent heard of anyone I know in my class who has them
 
Trying to illustrate a point, I realize my hypothetical situation was extreme. Yet, everyone is patriotic and loyal to their responsibilities only to a point. Humans by nature of driven my self-interest and the interests of their loved ones. It may be sad, but its true.

Your point being that you can justify anything so long as it is for the good of your family?
 
What else does it come down to at the end of the day? I'm assuming your single btw. I'd be really interested to hear otherwise.

The degenerate who robs you at gun point will be doing it for his family as well. Everyone is the hero of thier own story. You can't justify immoral actions based on that.

I am single, though I doubt I will become more immoral when I am no longer single. Maybe.
 
Considering they just expanded it and that you can "lock in" it seems like a reasonable bet. Personally it was the thing that tipped me toward choosing pharmacy.

And who takes out a lot of private loans? I havent heard of anyone I know in my class who has them

Those whose colleges count part or most of their pharmacy curriculum as undergrad years have to take out private loans (unless they want to get a parent plus loan, which has an interest rate that's about the same as private loans, so no point if your cosigner's credit is good). Not saying that this is this person's case, but just stating one case where people would have to take out private loans. Undergrad federal loans only add up to like 7.5k a year tops (less in younger years).
Another reason that 0-6 is so expensive...
 
If it came down to our family having to sleep in community shelters every night versus a better life, I'd choose the later. I have a hard time seeing the difference between what immigrants came to this country 50 to 100 years ago for (opportunity), and what current (select) citizens face now. When opportunity presents itself elsewhere and your out of options, what else is there to do? And I wouldn't be ashamed of it at all. You talk BIG GAME. I wonder how you'd actually manage such a real life situation, heaven forbid. Not to wish that on anyone.


The hell are you talking about? Did you borrow money from a loan shark or the Russian mafia by any chance? If you took out an X amount of dollars to pay for pharm school, the right thing to do is to ATTEMPT to pay it back. Its really that ****ing simple.

Relocating the family outside of the US to escape your debt?

Whatever your drinking, please give me some.
 
Seeing as how you looked into this. Can you still use your transcripts and take the PEBC and obtain licensure in Canada to practice pharmacy? Or is that out of the question. I heard that schools can refuse to send official transcripts once you default on your loans. Anyone got some specific info?

I heard in the Northwest Territories (and possibly the Yukon) they are offering $1 million for a 3 year commitment. It appears as if this will be the only option for new grads who had their hearts set on Alaska -- with Alaska now apparently saturated and whatnot.
 
Which is exactly why we are where we are today. Entitlement generation wins.🙄

THIS. Why don't you get A job while you search for THE job, rather than running away. Did you do any internships while you were in school? Or did you have any rotations where you particularly excelled? What is it that you love about being a staff pharmacist at a hospital? Just because you want to work in a hospital doesn't mean that employers are going to bow down to you if you have nothing to offer them. If you really had your heart set on hospital pharmacy then you should have started marketing yourself long before now. In addition, if it's so hard to find positions in the US, do you think it's going to be any easier in Canada or wherever else you run to?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Plenty of opportunities to start up an independent pharmacy out here in Afghanistan! No limits on scope of practice, no stupid licenses required and no chians! You may need to bribe the Taliban every once in a while but that's the cost of doing business!
 
Plenty of opportunities to start up an independent pharmacy out here in Afghanistan! No limits on scope of practice, no stupid licenses required and no chians! You may need to bribe the Taliban every once in a while but that's the cost of doing business!

And you don't have to worry about the distinction "legal drug dealer" vs "illegal"! You just a "businessmen" and a "professional".

To the OP - look for states with rural area hospitals. Read Midwest, or any state with low population density... These places have hospital jobs. Don't just apply, contact the DOPs and explain your desires. Get on their collective radar.

You can find the jobs - they are hard to find, but they do exist.
 
@spacecowgirl thanks for the links ^^

In terms of Michigan hospital stuff - I'm on the Northwest side of the glove. There ARE jobs on the Northeast side. But I'm not looking there 'cause it would mean I have to relocate (unless I wanna do the 5 hour drive one way, 10 drive full day). And frankly, if I'm going to relocate - then I'm relocating out of Michigan not further in.

@Everyone else ,,i,, ... but LOLz at the entertaining topic. Reading this tread made me think - can't you just declare bankruptcy and then work in another country instead of flee - Canada/US border thingy?
 
Just work for the drug cartel in Mexico, it's the best way to pay back those student loans
 
@spacecowgirl thanks for the links ^^

In terms of Michigan hospital stuff - I'm on the Northwest side of the glove. There ARE jobs on the Northeast side. But I'm not looking there 'cause it would mean I have to relocate (unless I wanna do the 5 hour drive one way, 10 drive full day). And frankly, if I'm going to relocate - then I'm relocating out of Michigan not further in.

@Everyone else ,,i,, ... but LOLz at the entertaining topic. Reading this tread made me think - can't you just declare bankruptcy and then work in another country instead of flee - Canada/US border thingy?

Again with the entitled attitude. Keep searching for that perfect job....No, wait....It will come find you. You're golden!
 
^I think you're misunderstanding. How can you call something perfect (perfect job) when you're throwing yourself in some RANDOM state in ANOTHER country? I'm terrified just thinking about moving out by myself. Also, I am a single girl if that even means anything

With this posts I was just hoping to get some feedback from people with more experience than me about non-dead states (at least a state that has more than just a few jobs openings) that I may want to transfer my naplex scores to so I can locate a job. I also asked this because again I am Canadian - so I know zip when it comes to states (other than Michigan). I have applied in Michigan for many hospital positions, heck even every major retail pharmacy for fun (in terms of retail, I got 2 responses, a Wal-Mart and Meijir in some town - not city - up north requiring relocation. ONE job opening too... so not being a Michigan citizen, might as well just relocate out)
 
^I think you're misunderstanding. How can you call something perfect (perfect job) when you're throwing yourself in some RANDOM state in ANOTHER country? I'm terrified just thinking about moving out by myself. Also, I am a single girl if that even means anything

With this posts I was just hoping to get some feedback from people with more experience than me about non-dead states (at least a state that has more than just a few jobs openings) that I may want to transfer my naplex scores to so I can locate a job. I also asked this because again I am Canadian - so I know zip when it comes to states (other than Michigan). I have applied in Michigan for many hospital positions, heck even every major retail pharmacy for fun (in terms of retail, I got 2 responses, a Wal-Mart and Meijir in some town - not city - up north requiring relocation. ONE job opening too... so not being a Michigan citizen, might as well just relocate out)

I just think that if it is your ultimate goal to work in a hospital pharmacy, I would look anywhere and everywhere. I wouldn't count out another part of Michigan because if you're going to relocate you may as well relocate elsewhere. What you have to understand is that the farther you look from your current location, the more difficult it will be for you to be considered for a position. Are you willing to relocate to rural Missouri, incur relocation costs, and agree to be paid less than standard? If so, then I don't think that you'll have a problem finding these jobs. But don't expect them to bend over backwards for you because you are interested. A prospective employer is going to be leary to consider someone that is 1000 miles away knowing that that person is going to incur relocation costs, costs that they can't afford to help with. If I had 200k in debt about to come due, I would try to find something for the time being to pay the bills and continue to look for something better. The days of being picky when it comes to employment are gone unless you're an outstanding prospect who is going to garner multiple offers. If you're really serious about relocating to find a position in a hospital, you need to start contacting DOP's in rural areas/areas of need and make it known to them that you are fine with incurring the costs of relocation on your own.
 
@spacecowgirl thanks for the links ^^

In terms of Michigan hospital stuff - I'm on the Northwest side of the glove. There ARE jobs on the Northeast side. But I'm not looking there 'cause it would mean I have to relocate (unless I wanna do the 5 hour drive one way, 10 drive full day). And frankly, if I'm going to relocate - then I'm relocating out of Michigan not further in.

@Everyone else ,,i,, ... but LOLz at the entertaining topic. Reading this tread made me think - can't you just declare bankruptcy and then work in another country instead of flee - Canada/US border thingy?

If you could default on student loans don't you think every student would declare bankruptcy immediately after graduation?
 
^Just having fun with the idea since people on this forum are talking about running away to a different country. In my case - have of my loads are from the government and half from the bank
 
If you could default on student loans don't you think every student would declare bankruptcy immediately after graduation?

Not worth messing up my almost perfect credit score (760+). The dumbest thing you can do is to mess that score up. I think it is much smarter to just pay back the loans that you owe. I don't know what the people in this thread are smoking. :laugh:
 
Not worth messing up my almost perfect credit score (760+). The dumbest thing you can do is to mess that score up. I think it is much smarter to just pay back the loans that you owe. I don't know what the people in this thread are smoking. :laugh:

You would rather have a great credit score than to be able to default on say $120,000 in loans? Now that's crazy. Of course this is hypothetical and I don't actually recommend defaulting on loans, but your point (if I understand correctly) is that you would rather pay $100,000 in loans (or whatever your number is) than take a temporary hit on your credit score? What possible benefit do you think you will get in having a perfect credit score over saving over 100k in loans? You would never be able to realize that kind of savings based on lower interest rates from a great credit score unless you plan on haveing several hundred thousand dollars of debt for many, many years. Are you sure you thought this through? If someone told me I could realize $120,000 in savings (much more when you consider the interest) and all it would cost me is a temporary hit on my credit score I would ask where do I sign? :laugh:

Completely hypothetically of course.
 
Keyword is life... If you die, you are not required to pay back your student loans.

idea.gif


09_talented%20Mr.Ripley.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keyword is life... If you die, you are not required to pay back your student loans.


let me ask you this, if you techincally "die" maybe in an operating room or something or are pronounced dead but come back within a few minutes, is there any way you can get an attorney to argue you out of your student loan debt in that you did techincally die and student loans are forgiven upon death?

if so, i would consider that option......
 
You would rather have a great credit score than to be able to default on say $120,000 in loans? Now that's crazy. Of course this is hypothetical and I don't actually recommend defaulting on loans, but your point (if I understand correctly) is that you would rather pay $100,000 in loans (or whatever your number is) than take a temporary hit on your credit score? What possible benefit do you think you will get in having a perfect credit score over saving over 100k in loans? You would never be able to realize that kind of savings based on lower interest rates from a great credit score unless you plan on haveing several hundred thousand dollars of debt for many, many years. Are you sure you thought this through? If someone told me I could realize $120,000 in savings (much more when you consider the interest) and all it would cost me is a temporary hit on my credit score I would ask where do I sign? :laugh:

Completely hypothetically of course.


I see your point. If someone is already a homeowner and just bought a new car etc. and don't need to borrow any money for a while then I say credit score isn't that important. However for someone like me that does not have a house yet, I would like to keep my credit score in the high 700s close to 800. If you don't have a house or car etc. and your credit score is low NO ONE will even consider giving you a loan, so unless you don't mind living in a apartment forever then your credit score matters. In fact I am pretty sure it matters for apartment rental too. I doubt anyone would rent to someone with a crappy score. My mom owns a few houses that we are renting out right now and the first thing we do is check credit scores before we rent...if the score is below a 720 then you can forget it.

I will be about 80K in debt when I get out of pharmacy school. That is a lot of money to pay back, but it's not worth 1) killing yourself (like some people in this thread is suggesting! LOL...) 2) moving to another country or 3) declaring bankrupcy.
 
Last edited:
I see your point. If someone is already a homeowner and just bought a new car etc. and don't need to borrow any money for a while then I say credit score isn't that important. However for someone like me that does not have a house yet, I would like to keep my credit score in the high 700s close to 800. If you don't have a house or car etc. and your credit score is low NO ONE will even consider giving you a loan, so unless you don't mind living in a apartment forever then your credit score matters. In fact I am pretty sure it matters for apartment rental too. I doubt anyone would rent to someone with a crappy score. My mom owns a few houses that we are renting out right now and the first thing we do is check credit scores before we rent...if the score is below a 720 then you can forget it.

I will be about 80K in debt when I get out of pharmacy school. That is a lot of money to pay back, but it's not worth 1) killing yourself (like some people in this thread is suggesting! LOL...) 2) moving to another country or 3) declaring bankrupcy.

If you are going to be so reasonable this discussion isn't going to be any fun. :laugh:

I basically agree with your above post, particularly your three end points.