Statisitcs of Jan MCAT vs. August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey All,
I am retaking the MCAT this January after doing poorly this August. My adviser recommended this because I studied so much this summer and also I will just be finishing Physiology, Endocrinology and Biochemistry. He also said that it is possible that I could get the same raw score in January but get a higher overall score because test takers are not as prepared in January as they were in August.
Does anyone agree with him? Has anyone heard of someone getting the same amount of questions right on a different test date but they got a higher score?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the scales were pre-determined before you even take the test.

I have no clue about exactly how the MCAT is scored, but I have noticed after being on this forum for two years that many who scored lower than expected in August did better in Jan.

Not sure why?

That's why I planned to take it again in Jan but my state school told me I had a decent shot with my current MCAT and all my other stuff. So, I am holding off and working on building clinical volunteering.

Hope it does not back fire. I do not have adequate time right now to prepare for it anyway. I think I would do worse.:xf:

Yeah I think the curve is preset before you even take the test. But I'm taking it in January as well so good luck to us.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about a MARCH test date? Right smack in the middle of the semester, people'll have a hard time studying with all their exams.

From what I've heard, there isn't really anything going for WHEN you take it. Take it when you're ready, not when you think most people'll do bad, thus helping the curve.

I'm going to agree with ejay286 on this one. Somewhere on the AAMC website or in the MCAT Essential PDF, the curve is discussed as being based on the difficulty of the particular test version. It does not say that scores are compared among test takers. It only says that some tests are harder than others; thus, raw scores are scaled differently based on the difficulty.

From what I've heard, there isn't really anything going for WHEN you take it. Take it when you're ready, not when you think most people'll do bad, thus helping the curve.

That's why if I retake it was looking around the middle like March or April because I would be out of school then and could fully prepare while those in school might not be as prepared.

Who knows? I have taken two Aug admins because it was the only time I could be ready. First one, was horrible. Second one, was okay. I had it and let it slip away.

Hopefully, I can get in with my score and not have to take it again.

I might even take a class next time. I just need about two more points.