Statistics Coures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone experiences has been with statistics courses seeing as how its one of those pretty much universal requirements among vet schools.

My school has a pre-vet program and I am taking the stats course they recommend.... but its algebra based, not calc based. Is that the norm? Honestly, I feel kind of dumb taking it, but if its all thats required I can deal with that.

.... and I am too dumb to be able to spell courses right..... grrrrr :(

Members don't see this ad.

My stats course was "higher" than the calc courses, but it was seriously one of the biggest wastes of time ever. i hated it and honestly felt the entire course could have been taught in one third of the time. i had debated taking the more advanced stats course (which requires the one i took as a prereq), but in retrospect it probably would have been a better idea to have fought my way into that one - i'd rather be challenged than bored.

My stats course was designed for animal science kids entitled: Biometrics of Livestock.

How many cows in a herd of 20 would yo have if three walked away?

That's pretty much the extent of the course...and people still failed.

oh and we got 'cheat sheets' for the exams hahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is algebra-based... it is pretty dull... we just finished learning how to make a proper bar graph... well, kind of... we learned all of the calculations, didn't apply them to anything, and moved on.

Oh well, it is so much better than my pre-cal course. There is no way in heck that I can fail this one... the professor is fair, and actually knows how to explain things so that we understand it!

I had the easiest stats class ever! We didn't even have to know how to do any math...just explain what the answer meant. I was a complete waste of time for me....and it was really hard to get myself to go everyday...

The one I took was called Statistics for the biological sciences, so it had all the pre-meds and pre-vets and people fulfilling a requirement for their bio major lumped into one. It wasn't calc-based and it as the easiest class I've ever taken. We got cheat sheets on the exams, we got to drop 2 quizzes, and if you had a 95% right before the final, you didn't have to take the final (which is what I did).

We got cheat sheets on the exams, we got to drop 2 quizzes, and if you had a 95% right before the final, you didn't have to take the final (which is what I did).

Our lecture class is worth 80% and our lab is worth 20%. Of that 80%, he either takes 40% of the two midterms and 40% of the final, or 80% of the final... he figures them both out, and which ever is higher, that is our mark.

I have stats next and my first stats lab today... whoo. I'm going to need an energy drink... 75 minutes of stats makes me a little sleepy.

I wish we have stats for the biological sciences... I'm in Introduction to Statistics. I would be a lot more interrested if animals and body parts were mentioned in the course :p

My stats course is a winter session course. So 3 credits of stats done in 4 weeks. The joys of 2.5 hours of stats lecture a day.

The one I took was called Statistics for the biological sciences, so it had all the pre-meds and pre-vets and people fulfilling a requirement for their bio major lumped into one. It wasn't calc-based and it as the easiest class I've ever taken. We got cheat sheets on the exams, we got to drop 2 quizzes, and if you had a 95% right before the final, you didn't have to take the final (which is what I did).

Lucky you. When I took statistics for biology , it was the hardest class ever! The professor packed about 2 years of statistics into 1 semester and we went completely through 2 textbooks. I have nightmares about multiple regression :confused:

Geez you guys are lucky!! I'm taking Stats now and it's rather difficult. Understanding it is not difficult but it's a ton of information to commit to memory. I don't think we are getting "cheat sheets" for the exams. There are plenty of calculations. This is supposed to be an intro course but there's a lot of information in it.

I actually took a Business Stats class because I thought about owning a clinic one day.

It, much like what I have heard on here, was a total waste of time. It consisted of math problems that took 15 minutes to do when I could have done them in 2. But NO, we had to do it the stupid way. But I guess that's what I get for taking Calculus first and then Stats.

I took a 300 level stats class, not a big deal at all.

For some reason, some people had a heck of a time. But it seemed fairly elementary to me. And the prof was really nice (and cute!)

It was actually kind of useful, helped me learn how to read scientific papers better with understanding P values and whatnot.

I had the easiest stats class ever! We didn't even have to know how to do any math...just explain what the answer meant. I was a complete waste of time for me....and it was really hard to get myself to go everyday...

Haha...sounds like the stats class I took. Did you go to school in Washington? I just graduated from Central....Anywho it was the most ridiculous class I've taken I could have slept through it...surprisingly though, a lot of the people around me seemed honestly confused most of the time....

Haha...sounds like the stats class I took. Did you go to school in Washington? I just graduated from Central....Anywho it was the most ridiculous class I've taken I could have slept through it...surprisingly though, a lot of the people around me seemed honestly confused most of the time....

Yes, wow! I am a senior at Central!!! I took my stats course with Devietti(sp??) in the psych department. I took it last year and could not believe the students in my class that kept asking questions....it was honestly the most ridiculous class ever!

I've taken two stats classes. The first was biostats and easy as pie! During labs, we could take notes on what we did and bring them in for the lab tests. And the rest of it was easy, only going up to multivariate stats and the like.

The second one I did was a graduate stats class and it was one of the biggest challenges I've ever had in a classroom! I really learned a lot though, especially for any future research. We did principle components analysis, AIC modelling, discrim. function analysis, etc, etc, etc.

In my opinion, if you're going to bother taking a stats class at all, then take one that will actually teach you something (if you have a choice). It's not like physiology or anatomy where hard = memorizing a lot. Hard, in stats language, just means you have to really think a lot...which I've heard is good for the brain! :laugh:

I took a course a year or so ago titled "elementary probability and statistics"--it wasn't calculus-based, but it was only one course level below--would that count? Most schools are so vague about what they want in a stats course, so I hope that'll do!