stats for getting a PCCM fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellen5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hoping i can get some information. my husband will be a PGY 1 IM intern next year at a university-affiliated program. He needs to know what the average board scores are of residents who obtain a moderate to competitive PCCM fellowship. are board scores as important as good letters? also, would doing away rotations at a more academic program help at all? thanks for the info. any other advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Top places are . . . well . . . top places and as such require a very good application. Now what does - and bear with me, I'm getting to the specifics of the original question, but am merely trying to give a little context - top place mean? Well, these places are really looking to train the next generation of academic physician scientists and will want people who not only know how to do basic science research, but will be willing to do basic science research in fellowship, and will stick around until the research is done, perhaps up to two years after being done with the formal fellowship training. These are your "competitive" programs. This is what really separates top programs from solid middle of the road clinical programs

And it's important that your husband ask himself what he wants to do with his career before possibly wasting his time when applying, because if he just wants to work in private practice, then all he really needs out of a program is solid clinical training, which he will probably find at many programs.

Board scores are not as important as letters of recommendation. Having good letters and being an American medical graduate with a serious interest in Pulmonary and Critical Care medicine will be all he will need to get interviews and match. He could do an "away" rotation if he could figure out a way to make it happen, but finding a way to get paid can be tricky. I think away rotations are entirely unnecessary. Make sure he gets active in doing something "research-wise" in pulm - posters are enough.

Matching higher up the academic food chain, or perhaps even into a specific area of the country will require more work and more buffing on the application.

EDIT: Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

Last edited: