Stats for the cheapest schools vs top tiers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CbasCoC2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading for the past few days, most of the SDNers agree that going for the cheapest dental school is the best option. However, since the top dental schools look for very competitive stats and their tuition is high, is it really worth having such competitive stats if you're not thinking about going there? I'm a bit confused in what is considered a relatively "cheap" dental school and if its just as hard as into getting accepted into a top tier school vs "cheap" school.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dental school is different. The relationship between cost and admissions competition is not linear. In fact, many of the highly competitive schools are on the more affordable side.
The reason is because tuition is just so expensive. Many people are not willing to pay that amount of money, so they choose to go to a school that costs $200K less. Since more people are doing this, the applicants to the affordable schools become more competitive because they want to save hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. The state school I go to averaged a 22 DAT and 3.74 GPA. There are other state schools high like this as well. It's best to keep your options open.
I LOVE being a California resident as well! High income taxes, extremely high cost of living, and ridiculously competitive state schools! What more could we ask for? #grateful :)

Reactions: 7 users
What matters most is coming out a dentist.

I LOVE being a California resident as well! High income taxes, extremely high cost of living, and ridiculously competitive state schools! What more could we ask for? #grateful :)
Don’t forget the motorcycle lane-splitting! Oh, and the ongoing hepatitis A outbreak. #stoppoopingonthesidewalk

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
What in the world is a “top tier” dental school?

Reactions: 2 users

The COLA (Cost of living Adjustment) should still make it a great place to live. Its expensive to live there but if you know what you're doing, you should make much more to make up for it.

The COLA (Cost of living Adjustment) should still make it a great place to live. Its expensive to live there but if you know what you're doing, you should make much more to make up for it.
You are aware of how ridiculously saturated California is with dentists, right? That actually drives income way down. I can all but guarantee you will make more as a dentist in any "fly-over state." You also make California sound as if it's a state flush with cash. The reality is that the state is home to 1/10 of the US population, but 1/3 of the welfare recipients (Is California the welfare capital?). A full third of the state's population is on Medicaid and the state has some of the lowest physician reimbursement rates in the country (California’s Medicaid-Spending Crisis). It's no wonder almost a million, mostly middle-class individuals left California between 2005 and 2015 (Californians Are Voting With Their Feet | RealClearMarkets).

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
You are aware of how ridiculously saturated California is with dentists, right? That actually drives income way down. I can all but guarantee you will make more as a dentist in any "fly-over state." You also make California sound as if it's a state flush with cash. The reality is that the state is home to 1/10 of the US population, but 1/3 of the welfare recipients (Is California the welfare capital?). A full third of the state's population is on Medicaid and the state has some of the lowest physician reimbursement rates in the country (California’s Medicaid-Spending Crisis). It's no wonder almost a million, mostly middle-class individuals left California between 2005 and 2015 (Californians Are Voting With Their Feet | RealClearMarkets).

Big Hoss
It’s funny that you say that because at my USC interview, the financial aid people literally told us not to practice in CA and instead practice in a “flyover state”. Their reasoning: we won’t be able to pay back our loans working as a dentist in California. I appreciated their honesty.

Reactions: 4 users