Stats for US grads in Aus med schools

Started by cputty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cputty

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am looking into Aussie schools as possible IMG options but a little confounded about their application process. I looked into UQ's admission form and it seems like there are no essay prompts, no secondaries, no recommendation letters, and no premed requirements...so is it judged purely on your GPA & MCAT scores (it says for US students, Dept. of Education requires MCAT scores to be submitted)? If so, would anyone be willing to share their stats?

Thanks!
 
Hi all,

I am looking into Aussie schools as possible IMG options but a little confounded about their application process. I looked into UQ's admission form and it seems like there are no essay prompts, no secondaries, no recommendation letters, and no premed requirements...so is it judged purely on your GPA & MCAT scores (it says for US students, Dept. of Education requires MCAT scores to be submitted)? If so, would anyone be willing to share their stats?

Thanks!

If you have an mcat above 24 and a gpa > 2.7, you should receive an offer. I know two people this year with these stats (24/3.0, 25/3.2). Since they don't do an interview nor take ECs into account, seems the minimum is enough nowadays.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UQ admissions ride almost entirely on your MCAT. It's the only objective measure they have.

GPA isn't significant because, at the international level, its meaning/system varies so extensively.

I know of one student in my year who had bragged about having been accepted with a 24M (and he also failed out at the end of first-year, no joke).

My cohort's stats (according to an information sheet I had seen a while ago) held a low of 24M and a high of 41T. Someone in the year above me got a 43. The mean for both years was a 30 I believe.
 
If you have an mcat above 24 and a gpa > 2.7, you should receive an offer. I know two people this year with these stats (24/3.0, 25/3.2). Since they don't do an interview nor take ECs into account, seems the minimum is enough nowadays.

I've said this a few times over the years here in response to similar conclusions in response to anecdotes, but some people having gotten in with the minimum does not mean that the minimum gets you in. I've known people with 24s (and a 27) who didn't get in, and it makes perfect sense when you consider that UQ has rolling admissions. It's also probable that the average MCAT score has gone up a bit since the dropping of the interview, just as it (expectedly) did significantly with domestic students' GAMSAT scores. At any rate, I would agree that ~30 is the average (was 28 in 2005, as reference), while the *spread* of scores is greater than what you'd find in the US.
 
Last edited: