? STATS PAGE: 2003 applicants ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by slave4MD
... in the interview, I told the dentists that I applied to nothing but DDS/DMD programs... If so, I'm screwed before the game even started.

You aren't screwed -- lying to your interviewers is usually a good thing. You may have a 3.9 or whatever you have, but you are still an idiot.

Members don't see this ad.

slave4md,
you must be out of your mind, or you are a complete idiot like Gavin said. With your stats, you can get in any top notch med school in this country. My classmates and roomates went to Harvard and ucsf med school with a much lower stats. You must be desperate to go back to school. What ever the outcome of this year is, I wish you the best of luck and get into the school of your choice because you work hard for it.
I wish my stat is as good as yours, then I can just rest and know for sure that I will get in my first choice next year.
May be you need to relax and reevaluate your goal.
T

To be fair, I don't think Slave4MD quite understood the questions we were all trying to ask him.

The guy has impeccable academic credentials and to give credit where credit is due, he must have worked very hard to get the grades he got. I'm sure he could get into the majority of the programs he applies to, MD, PhD, DDS, or even (not so jokingly) the Astronaut Training Program.

Worries about background checks aside, here is THE question for you, Slave4MD, if you are still reading this thread:

Are You Sure You Want To Go Into Dentistry?

This is the question all the other guys are asking you, because dentistry tends to create misery for those who got into the profession for the wrong reasons, especially those with a cavalier "it must be easier than med school right?" attitude. And your posts seem to indicate that you have not yet had sufficient exposure to the profession to know what it truly entails.

(And no, a counselor telling you to apply to dental school because s/he doesn't think you can get into a med school is definitely NOT the right reason. What the hell do college career counselors know about dentistry anyway? They don't have a DDS degree.)

Dentistry isn't "easier" than medicine. It's different. If you look at the other posters on this board, the vast majority of them understand enough about dentistry to know that's what they want to do for the rest of their lives way before they applied to dental school. So here's the 64-million-dollar question: Have you been exposed to dentistry enough to know that this is what you want to do? Have you spent enough time observing dentists work in various settings, including private practice, group practice, hospital settings, etc. and seen various types of work they do (which involves MUCH MORE than just filling cavities), including perio, removable, fixed, endo, ortho, diagnostics, pedo, OMFS, etc.? If you had seen all that, is it what you want to do?

Personally, I think you will probably get into a med school, which is probably for the best. Better than to be stuck with what you might consider a "second-rate" profession that you would feel miserable in, especially after spending 4 years and upwards of $150,000 on it. Anyway, irrespective of the answer, I wish you good luck though, whichever profession you choose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Slave4MD

I do not mean to be rude, but with your stats and with your posting I can only concluse few things about you.
Either you are just playing a game with all of us and just posting for the fun of it with madeup stats, or you are just purely paranoid since with your stats you can get into any Med or Dental Or phd program or .... of your choice and that with a scholarship too. So dude my advice to you (if you really have these stats), go to a very private place for a day or two think about your past, present and future really hard, and find out what you like/want/have/choose to do and which field and then choose that field only. And then If I were you I would remove my applications from other fields, and would not even look back. This way you will save yourself a big and expensive confusion and also the board will have peace again insteade of trying to figure out what do you want out of all of this.

Originally posted by DesiDentist
I concure. This guy is totally out of his mind. I'm sorry, I have nothing but bad vibes with this candidate. And the sad thing is that he/she/it will most likely get into one program but will never be happy since he/she/it isn't passionate about anything..but just wants to use deceit. I'm sorry if you screwed up in the past, but rather than hiding from your mistakes you should fess up and honor the system. Lying to dentists, lying on appications, trying to trick others. I am even offended that you are posting your tactics online, and other people will follow. Play the game fair. There is no room for losers like you.

DesiDentist :mad:

Rest assured that I did not lie about my past background. The police will be after me if they find out.

It's just for the part in AADSAS where they ask if you are applying to other programs besides dentistry, for which I didn't write down anything.

Oh yeah, I received some bad news not too long ago that I got rejected through the Early Decision plan to my top choice medical school. AMCAS is now permitting me to apply to other US medical schools, but it's late at this point in time.

So was it really a lie that I didn't apply to medical school? Well, I got the rejection days before my first dental school interview and time has passed so much I couldn't apply to other US medical schools.

Maybe you're also ticked off because I took the options of applying to PhD programs and foreign medical schools and mentioned none of that on AADSAS and to the interviewers.

Notice that the AADSAS/interviewers specificcally asks if you applied to other health fields. PhD programs do not qualify. As for foreign medical schools, these are not US-based, have no affiliation with AMCAS, and are for-profit educational systems. PhD/foreign MD programs are all distinct and there is no centralized way for dental schools to track my applications there.

So I wouldn't call my actions a 'lie.'

See you in dental school.

So essentially, because you can't get "caught", it isn't a lie. That's great. I'm not ticked off because of anything with AADSAS, but rather because you directly lied to interviewers (and then you posted about it!).

As I said before, despite your astonishing grades you are still an idiot.

Slave4DMD
Dude, just out of curiosity what did you do that was so SERIOUSE. Is it a federal offence, a felony?? drugs? I hope for your sake it has nothing to do with drugs. I do not want to be pessimistic, but I know healthcare schools med/dent/nursing/pharmacy have a very strong "no, no drug" policy, also if you have done a drug felony you will not be able to get any federal funding/loans, and even private funding will be too hard to get, so unless you have really rich parents, going to med or dental schools will be kind of out of question for you. But whatever it is GOOD LUCK!
So trying for outside US med/dent schools is actually wise. Try India, I have heard for $20,000 you can get into a med school and once you come back here all you have to do is take the board and you will be all set

slave4md

can u list the DENTAL schools that you've applied to? just curious..

Originally posted by Qoo
slave4md

can u list the DENTAL schools that you've applied to? just curious..

Why do you even ask. You already know the answer:

It is ALL of the dental schools. ;)

DesiDentist

haha desi, excuse my stupidity. :p

Originally posted by DesiDentist
Why do you even ask. You already know the answer:

It is ALL of the dental schools. ;)

DesiDentist

I'm not rich, and I believe in diverse investment.

I only applied to a couple of everything, about 10 for dental schools to answer the other fella's question.

I admit that I'm not an angel, but your attitudes suggest that you're not any better than me.

Your ethical senses really show in your attempts to discourage people from applying, and in your tasteless remarks to people who you really don't know.

I understand that it is important to pick one career direction and succeed in it. But then again, that is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Okay. You WANT to be dentist,so with that mentality you will ONLY apply to dental schools. Fine. But will you really BECOME one? Anything can happen ( maybe rejection? )and you'll find out late unless if you work for admissions, or if you're God.

Do you now understand why I chose to apply to a variety of places?

Looks like your narrowmindedness and low-life attitudes will serve you well in your dreams of being a compassionate and skilled dentist.

yes, I am narrow minded and passionate about dentistry.

You think that you aren't narrow minded. If you weren't then why isn't you SDN name Slave4MDorDMDorPhDorDDS why did you say Slave4MD, it is because you are narrow minded as well. YOu want to get into Medical school but your past behavior will keep you out. It is obviously very serious or you would not be so insecure about applying only to allopathic schools. Why don't you add Osteopathic schools to your array of choices.

Honestly, most people on this forum spend hours and hours giving advice and doing our own thing to become the best candidates/dental students out there.

You think that I will get rejected. My gpa is not as high as yours but I can confidently state that I will be a D1 next year? Can you confidently say you will be a first year medical student? NO, that is why you are applying left and right.

I know you want to go to Medical school like crazy. and I can feel for you to be so helpless to know that you did something to screw yourself up so bad that even your 3.9 / 36 MCAT will keep you out. I wish you the best, but in life you don't choose 5 or 6 wives for the sake of variety. Or 3 jobs just in case you get fired from one. In life the truly successful people choose one thing and only focus on it, and try to be the best they can be at that one particular thing. For me it is fixing teeth, making sure my patients will have the most adept, most competent, passionate dentist possible..me.

DesiDentist

Desi and slave4DMD

You both please grow up and respect each other's opinion. And instead of flaming each other be more understanding of each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either MD OR DDS OR DMD, we will all be public servants. Just at different parts of the body. There is nothing more glory than another. Sometimes it's stink to smell someone's sick teeth/mouth. However, examine a colon cancer patient can be stunk all the way up to high heaven. And run around in the ER like a chicken in the middle of the night is not that beautiful neither.
Again, don't forget that there are many possibilities/paths after either dental school or med school. I know my path already and I know that I will be very happy with what I choose. However, if one is in a school or a profession by default, it can be depressed.

But don't forget that dentistry is not all about fixing tooth. You can be a community outreach and development/recruitment for the dental school as well. You won't make much money, still have a prestigious degree and don't have to look at people teeth/mouth. You'll get to travel to places like timbuktu to talk about the important of oral health care, brushing and all that stuff... Or teach kids how to brush. That's still a DDS job.
T

Personally, I think "please grow up" posts do nothing but further inflame a thread, so let's not go anywhere near there.

I just have some general observations, take it or leave it:

I'm not going to point fingers, but those who apply to dental school as a "backup" in case they don't get into med school need to understand that it's not about "options."

Dental school is not a viable option at all if after four years and hundreds of thousands of dollars one goes into the profession with a "I'm too good for dentistry and I'm doing it only because I can't get into med school" grudge.

This is the last kind of people dentistry needs, because it does no good for the grudge-holder and more importantly it does no good for the patient this guy is going to treat. It makes the whole profession look bad and such a person will only earn the contempt of the other professionals in the field (or even the other pre-professionals, in this case), and rightly so.

Think long and hard before considering dental school as a "backup." You know who you are.

I'll just leave it at that. :p

This conversation needs to be moved to a new thread. I wish we had a moderator here.

I'm tired of getting email notifications for this thread and them not having anything to do with updating STATS. And I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one.

Thanks.
~RSXer

RSXer, you should uncheck the email notification box at the bottom of the thread. That's what I did, because I was getting email notifications for stuff I wasn't interested in.

Also, I wish people would go thru this thread and delete any non-STAT info they might have posted, like DATMATT suggested.

Cumulative GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: 3.41

Major: Sports Injury Management
Minors: Biology and Chemistry

DAT: Academic Avg: 17
PAT: 17

AADSAS: August 3rd

Applied: UNLV, Arizona

Interviews: N/A

Hey all - time to emerge and contribute - I just finished my DAT yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be able to post some interviews, but the late application doesn't help any. If anyone has some advice on the Tejas schools, just PM me. I actually used to be a pre-med, and took the MCAT (31), but eventually decided on the dentistry after volunteering in a dental clinic and seeing how great this profession is. I'm currently in IT consulting working 50+ hours weeks, so being a dentist and setting your own hour is definitely ace.

Cumulative undergrad GPA: 2.5
Cumulative post-bacc GPA: 3.7
Cumulative GPA: 2.8

Major: Electrical Engineering

DAT: Aca: 21 / PAT: 20

TMDSAS: Oct. 11

Applied: UTH, UTSA, Baylor
Interviews: UTH (1/27), UTSA (1/13)

Now who would have thought that would be adding an accepted line to my stats - hook it up!
Accepted: UTSA
Rejected: Baylor (APPLY EARLY or this could be you)!

Cheers & best of luck to everyone.

Being new to SDN, I can't believe I never knew of this massive resource until now when I've already been through a few of my interviews. I could have used the help during application time. Nevertheless, I'd like to contribute my experiences from here on out.

Cumulative GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.0
Major: Biological Sciences

DAT: 21 Academic (22 OC, 21 B, 20 GC, 22 RC, 20 QR, 21 TS) / 20 PAT

AADSAS Submitted: June 22

Research: None

Dental Experience: 100+ hours at residency clinic

Applied: UCSF, UCLA, LLU, UOP, USC, NYU, Columbia, BU, Tufts, Temple, U Penn, Nova, U Mich, UNLV

Interviews: Temple (10/3), Columbia (10/4), UOP (10/10), BU (10/27), UNLV (11/26), Tufts (declined), NYU (declined), Michigan (declined)

Denied: LLU (denied of a secondary!), U Penn

Acceptances: UOP, Temple, BU, Columbia, UNLV

Withdrawn: UCSF, Nova

Attending: UOP

Good luck y'all!

Hi everyone. I'm new to SDN. Well here are my stats:

Cumulative GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Major: Biology

DAT:
Academic: 28
Perceptual: 28

Applied: Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC

Interview Invites: UCLA, UOP, USC, Columbia

Denied: N/A

Accepted: N/A

SMDdent:

Thanks for sharing your info. I am in the same boat as you but I applied kind of late. I hope I get as many interviews as you did. You are lucky that you got so many. Especially from columbia and UOP. Good Luck!

oh my gosh DDSBOY! your stats are AWESOME! Good job!! BIOLOGY majors RULE! :clap: :clap: :clap:

~Qoo

hey oceansize, do you mind me asking for your stats and the date you submitted your AADSAS application?

UCSF notified me of the interview by mail. They gave me the date and I need to contact them to confirm. I am very very excited because I've always wanted to go this school.

Thanks for the prompt reply oceansize, best of luck on your ucsf interview, it's an excellent school!

NSXDent

Cumulative GPA: 3.80
Science GPA: 3.89
Major: Microbiology, Immunology, & Molecular Genetics

DAT:
Academic: 24
Perceptual: 23
Science: 25

AADSAS submitted: June 23

Applied: UCLA, UOP, UOP, Loma Linda, Temple, Tufts, NYU, Columbia, Boston, Harvard, Marquette, Creighton

Interviews: Temple (9/23), USC (10/11), UOP (10/24), UCLA (10/31), NYU (11/21), Columbia (11/22), Tufts (11/25), Harvard (12/17)

- Turned down interview for Boston
- No longer applying to UCSF, LLU, and UPENN

Accepted: UOP, UCLA, Tufts, Temple, Columbia, NYU, Marquette, Creighton

Will be attending: UOP

Overall GPA: 3.05
Science GPA: 3.57
Postbacc GPA: 3.85

Undergraduate Major: Finance

DAT: 23/18
Perceptual: 18
Quant: 19
Reading: 21
Biology: 20
Chemistry: 29
Organic: 25

AADSAS: submitted sept 10

Applied To: Tufts, BU, SUNY SB, SUNY BUF., NYU, Columbia, UPenn, UPitt, Temple, Nova

Interviews: NYU (1/9), Temple 11/22, BU 1/15

Denied:

Accepted:

Hey DATMATT
when did u recieve your interview from UOP?? did they call or mail?

Let's hope I get in somewhere....

Major: Nutrition
Minor: Business

Cumulative GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.43

DAT:
23 Academic
23 PAT

Applied: UCLA, USC, UF, UNC, Nova, MCG

i am not nearly as competitive as most of the people in here, but here are my stats:

UMass Amherst
overall GPA: 3.24
science: 3.0
major: biology

DAT
Academic: 16
PAT: 18

research:
1- measuring fruit bat's teeth's tip and cusp sharpness (my senior honor's research)

2- how perchlorate affects fetal brian develpment..

publicatiosn are in progress...

AADSAS submitted: Oct 27th

schools applied: 14 schools: Uconn, BU, Tufts, maryland, SUNY Buffalo, NYU, columbia, nova, Upenn, U. pitt, OSU, CWRU, marquette, Howard.

interviews: NYU
rejections: OSU and Maryland

good luck everyone...........

UNC CH BA Psych
MCV MS Physical Therapy

7 years as PT and Rehab Director

DAT:
Overall: 23
AA: 23
PAT: 18

Science GPA: 3.75
BCP GPA: 3.69
Overall GPA: 3.25

Schools Applied: UNC, MUSC, MCV
Interviews Completed: UNC, MUSC
Interviews Upcoming: MCV

3 weeks to go

Hey PTtoDDS,

What made you want to change your career path? Just curious... my roommate is pre-PT!! Which school did you go to? She's interested in USC!

~Qoo

oops.. nm, u went to mcv.. :p i didnt see it.

GPA : 3.65
DAT: 22/17

Applied on 9/22. UCSF, UCLA, UOP, USC, NYU, Columbia, U Penn, Harvard, U Mich , U wash, SUNY Buffalo, Temple, Tufts, BU. Case Western, U Pitt.

Interview: U Penn, BU, NYU, Pitt, Temple, SUNY Buffalo, Harvarad, UOP, NYU, Columbia, Michigan,
Accepted : BU, Penn, Pitt, Columbia,
Withdraw: NYU, Buffalo,

Cumulative GPA:
BCP : 3.6
Science : 3.6
Non-science: 3.47
Major: Microbiology & Cell Science
Minor : Business
DAT:
Academic: 20
Total Science: 20
Perceptual: 18
Others: volunteered at dental clinic, some research experience (~ 6 months)

Undergraduate school attended : Univ. of Florida

AADSAS submitted: August 1st

Applied: (7 schools) : University of Florida, Tufts , Nova, Boston, NYU, Columbia, Univ of Southern Cali, and TEmple

Interviews: Invited to all of them (but withdrew Nova, Boston Univ, and Univ of Southern CAli)

Accepted: Univ of florida, temple,Columbia, NYU, Tufts..

Denied : none

updated UCLA, Columbia, UCONN, Tufts interview, and GPA ...on page 3

UCSB
GPA: 3.03
sci GPA: 3.12

22 DAT/ 24 PAT

Applied Oct 26: UCLA, LLU, UOP, USC, BU, Tufts, Mich, Creighton, Columbia, NYU, Case, UPenn, Upitt, Temple, UNLV

Interview invites: Temple, UOP, Boston, NYU, Case, Upitt, Mich, Columbia, UNLV

Denied: UCLA, UPenn

Acceptances: NYU, BU, UPitt, Columbia, UOP

UOP 2006!

Added LLU interview on page 2. any inputs for the interview?

updated on page 9:

NYU interview

Maryland and OSU rejections... :(

this year OSU has only 10-12 spots for potential 700 out of state applicants and i did not know this.. apparently the status of OSU has changed from 6-7 years ago. they PAID for my friend's plane ticket and hotel from Canada in mid MAY even though he was not too competitive... and that was the only school he got in among all US and Canadian Dental schools!!!!

i've been out of school for over 6 years

submitted my app on july 31
processed on sept 15

overall gpa: 3.2
science gpa: 2.9
dat: 21 academic, 15 pat

applied to: stony brook, columbia, nyu, temple, boston

interviewed: stony brook (oct 1), temple (oct 15), nyu (nov 11), columbia (nov 15)

accepted: nyu, so far

i haven't heard anything from boston. do they send out rejection letters? anyone know?

updated acceptances and interview for U. of Michigan. Stats on page 9

update on page 2:

acceptances : UCLA, UPENN, Temple.

withdraw: Columbia, Tufts, USC, LLU

UG: Bryn Mawr
Cum GPA: 3.4
Sci GPA: 3.1 - 3.2ish
Major: Biology
Minor: Fine arts, [ ] in printmaking
DAT Academic: 18
PAT: ? :)

rejected: Penn
interview invites: Temple, Pitt, NYU, BU and UMDNJ in Jan
acceptances: Pitt, NYU
(probably cancelling other interviews)

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just wanted to post my STATS.

Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.62
Major: Biochemistry

DAT: 25 Academic 18 Perceptual

Research Experience: 1 year research project at the medical school on my campus and 1.5 years as an intern at a private research institute.

AADSAS submitted: September 13

Applied: UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC, LLU, Columbia, UPENN, Temple, Tufts, Harvard, Boston, UCONN

Interviews pending: Temple, Columbia, UCONN, Boston, UPENN, still waiting for more!

Accepted: N/A

nice stats dentisttobe. i'm sure you'll get into many schools. whats your top choice.