Stay home or Move Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dental schools I'm interested in are just a 30 minute drive from my home. Is it better to reduce my debt by $10 to $15,000/yr by staying home with parents or getting my own place with less distractions but incur more debt? How intense is the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

Move out of your parent's house. In my opinion, there is NO reason why a professional student should be living with mommy and daddy. If you really want to grow as a person, be independent, and fully explore who YOU are, then make a run for it I tell you. The only thing parents do, lovingly of course, is instill their values, beliefs, morals, ethics, and way-of-life on YOU, but there comes a time when a person has to find his/her own way and be their own person. It's not going to happen or this process will be hindered by living under the same roof as your parents.

Just my advice,
Racerdude

I suggest you look up this post once you've been on your own for a while. I'm sure you'll chuckle.

I haven't lived at home since I was 17, and they'd have to drag me back. Nothing against parents, I love mine dearly, but independence is a very valuable thing. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it really depends on you and your parents..
can you study and recup. at your parents place?

$10-15,000 PER YEAR is not chump change...especially if its going to be borrowed money.

Mr So So, just a question? Are you already a
dentist or a student or something else related? I an new to the forum and I have noticed that you have thoughts on alot of topics.

i'm just another slightly opinionated dental student, bro...

:)

Originally posted by Smalls:
•Mr So So, just a question? Are you already a
dentist or a student or something else related? I an new to the forum and I have noticed that you have thoughts on alot of topics.•

I agree with Mr. So So. $10 -15 K/yr is a lot of money.

However, if you cant study at home then I think you will need to move out. But if there is no problem, I would say stay at home and save alot of money over the next 4 years.

The Goat Man

Goat boy is right. Save that $$$ if your home situation is conducive to studying. I was shadowing a dentist recently and she really impressed upon me that you are less likely to get a loan to start a practice based on how heavily in debt you are after you graduate.

Hello, I am MS2 and this will be my second year living at home. I also live around 30 minutes away from school, I don't mind it so much, I have 2 rooms, one for my bed and another one has a TV and treadmill, and the drive home is a nice time to unwind. If you have your own room and you can get along well enough with your parents, I don't see anything wrong with it, with that 10,000 a year, you can buy a car in cash or put the down payment for a house after you graduate. Good luck.

Hope7
I say that if you can study at home as well as you can if you were on your own, than Stay at home! There are good things that come with being at home. I am not sure how your family is run, but in my family, my mom would cook me dinner, do the laundry, etc.
So those little things I would not have to worry about and I would just concentrate on studying. In addition, the extra 15000 that you save would be quite nice! Less of a burdern once you are out o fdental school.
So if there is no problem with studying at home than by all means, DO THAT!