Staying awake while studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stronghopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get 8-9 hours sleep/day but 4-5 hours after waking up, I'm really tired and feel like going to sleep again? I can't study without falling asleep soon thereafter. Anyone else have this type of problem? How do you fix it?

Members don't see this ad.

You're hypothyroid bro. Work your thyroid out (rapidly flex and extend your neck throughout the day).

I get 8-9 hours sleep/day but 4-5 hours after waking up, I'm really tired and feel like going to sleep again? I can't study without falling asleep soon thereafter. Anyone else have this type of problem? How do you fix it?

Maybe you are sleeping too much? I know if i get 10 hrs or more I tend to feel more tired 2-3 hours after waking up. But if I get 8 really good hours of sleep then I am really focused and won't succumb to fatigue as easily. Might also depend on your sleeping environment, When I'm in my apartment I can't sleep as well because my roommates are usually up and there's noise and stuff going on. But when I visit my parents and sleep there, I get a perfect night's sleep because everything is pitch black and quiet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coffee! He's my number one study partner.

It helps to have very set study hours.

I also study while working out. You can watch/listen to lectures on the treadmill or on an exercise bike (not sure if your school records them). I read journal articles between sets in the gym.

I try not to snack while studying. It ruins my appetite for my meals. Pushing fluids helps a little, though.

I read journal articles between sets in the gym.

Unless you're a speed reader, that's sounds like a terrible idea. And if you are, speed read outside the gym.

OP: Try hitting the gym, but leave the books at home. I get the most restful sleep after my most exhausting workouts (i.e. game days).

I had the same problem. Don't sleep so much and drink coffee.

Put on a swimsuit and sit in your bathtub.

Srs. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cut down your night sleeping to 7-8 hours. Inject 20-40 minute naps as necessary throughout the day.

Workout and 20 power naps here and there.

you could be anemic which is causing you to feel tired. this is especially possible if you are a vegetarian...consider getting your hemoglobin levels checked. also, the amount of sleep needed per person varies...but coffee or other forms of caffeine are quite effective. goodluck!

you could be anemic which is causing you to feel tired. this is especially possible if you are a vegetarian...consider getting your hemoglobin levels checked. also, the amount of sleep needed per person varies...but coffee or other forms of caffeine are quite effective. goodluck!

lol

It helps to have very set study hours.

I also study while working out. You can watch/listen to lectures on the treadmill or on an exercise bike (not sure if your school records them). I read journal articles between sets in the gym.

I try not to snack while studying. It ruins my appetite for my meals. Pushing fluids helps a little, though.

I tried that one time, and ended up having a crappy workout and not remembering anything I read.

That does absolutely nothing to me. I could fall asleep the second i drink it. Tastes good tho

See for me, I can drink a single cup of coffee and be the same way, but if I have a second cup within 15 minutes of the first one, I can definitely feel its effects. Mmmm, I want coffee just typing this.

Drink an energy drink. I can't even go to sleep if I wanted to when I drink it

Exercise always keeps my energy levels up during the day. That and some Green Tea for the long study binges.

have a high-protein breakfast. I always notice I'm way more alert throughout the day if I've had something filling with complex carbs and lots of protein vs when I let the craving for a doughnut win. :thumbup:

Do people really find sleepiness to be the main obstacle to studying extended periods of time? I find that the limiting factor tends to be the ability to concentrate. I only have so many hours of intense focus in a day.

Lack of concentration leads to the :sleep: IMO. ;)

I sleep about 6-7 hours a night and work out in the mornings. As some people have already mentioned working out really makes a difference in how the rest of the day goes.

Lack of concentration leads to the :sleep: IMO. ;)

For me, it's the other way: :sleep: --> lack of concentration lol. I'm a bit of an insomniac so my sleeping cycles are incredibly screwed up and can make me sleepy during the day.

Exercise is good to help you have more energy during the day on a regular basis. In college, I used to pull all-nighters with my roommate (I really would not recommend doing all-nighters, but I sort of had to at times). To keep from falling asleep, we would take a study break and run around the building a few times in our pajamas :laugh:.

One time, we had to pull 2 all-nighters in a row pretty much... studying for the final (biochemistry) on the second day was awful. To stay awake, we studied standing up. It works though... the problem is that you take the test sitting down... so right after I finished filling out my test, I fell asleep in my chair during the exam :laugh:. I still got an A though ;).

You may have sleep apnea and need a CPAP machine to sleep well.

Have you gotten a CD4+ cell count?

Slightly off topic, but I found a solid method to pull a productive all-nighter without compromising your mental clarity in the morning. Enter the Rockstar nap (named after the infamous liver corrosive, Rockstar Energy).

Step 1: Buy Rockstar Regular, aka Rock-Diesel (avoid the juice flavors). Comes in a black can.
Step 2: Drink entire beverage quickly within 30 seconds. Drink ice cold, less repulsive.
Step 3: Take a one hour nap prior to midnight.
Step 4: Wake up in one hour. Do NOT oversleep.
Step 5: Thank me later.

Slightly off topic, but I found a solid method to pull a productive all-nighter without compromising your mental clarity in the morning. Enter the Rockstar nap (named after the infamous liver corrosive, Rockstar Energy).

Step 1: Buy Rockstar Regular, aka Rock-Diesel (avoid the juice flavors). Comes in a black can.
Step 2: Drink entire beverage quickly within 30 seconds. Drink ice cold, less repulsive.

:scared:

Lol what the... that sounds absolutely terrible. I've only done one near all nighter during freshman year, absolutely dreadful day.

exams have been hell for the past week and a half.. my sched has been: wake up at 8AM and take a five hour energy, study till 1pm, drink coffee during lunch, study from 2-6, dinner/more coffee and then another 5 hour energy while studying from 7:30ish till 1am, then to sleep at 2am i take a sleeping pill and pass the hell out.(ive also not been going to class which gives me a lot more time to study)

Since a sleep cycle is roughly 90 minutes, I would think sleeping for exactly an hour is going to cause you to wake up in a non-ideal sleep stage and be a combination of groggy and jittery.

Instructions above may be too much for some to handle, but then again Rockstar Naps are not meant for the weak. Hence the first syllable being none other than, Rock. Think about it. Secondly, I implore you not to knock it until you've tried it, at least twice (my general rule for all things new). Scientifically speaking, I've tested on pretty diverse population; human subjects, def almost a phase II. n=4, a scientific breakthrough or, at the very least, an undisputable Win. Should have published in Nature, would have gotten into Hopkins.... easy. :bow:

wat is this I don't even

Do you people really find it that hard to stay up all night? I think I might have tiger's blood and adonis DNA, because it's pretty easy for me. Good luck during your residencies you bunch of lightweights; you'll all make TERRIBLE doctors.

not srs

wat is this I don't even

Do you people really find it that hard to stay up all night? I think I might have tiger's blood and adonis DNA, because it's pretty easy for me. Good luck during your residencies you bunch of lightweights; you'll all make TERRIBLE doctors.

not srs
Yay, Burnette's law! Because clearly if you ever have any need for silly things like sleep, you're never going to make it. Heck, you need oxygen, too?!? Go to the Caribbean.

My sleep pattern is sort of odd from week to week, I work atleast 22 hours/week sometimes around 35/week. So I realized that at times I get real sleepy while studying. My remedy (my boss actually told me, and I've used it ever since) when ever you feel sleepy take a 45 min break, do something non studying related, watch a tv show, walk around, talk to ppl, etc and then start doing your work again. That really helps me.

Sometimes I'll take coffee or a shot of espresso, something with caffeine to jump start me.

Hmm, fooled me. I thought you were bashing Chops. Ok then, carry on.

haha.

I think you just sleep too much, and are you used to waking up early? It took me half a month to get used to waking up early, even with the same amount of sleep as before.

Sounds crazy hardcore lol

Instructions above may be too much for some to handle, but then again Rockstar Naps are not meant for the weak. Hence the first syllable being none other than, Rock. Think about it. Secondly, I implore you not to knock it until you've tried it, at least twice (my general rule for all things new). Scientifically speaking, I've tested on pretty diverse population; human subjects, def almost a phase II. n=4, a scientific breakthrough or, at the very least, an undisputable Win. Should have published in Nature, would have gotten into Hopkins.... easy. :bow:

What was your p value? :p

wat is this I don't even

not srs

Not all of us can be Vatican assassins who happen to be advanced warlocks