staying awake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesiah

hoot hootums
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have trouble staying awake in class sometimes. for the past 4 weeks, i conk out w/in minutes of my microbiology lecture. the theatre seats are comfy and she dims the lights, as she does all powerpoint. how do you guys stay awake? i've tried drinking red bull, coffee, guayaki to no avail.

viet coffee seems to do the trick, but there's not enough time to get it as i work right before class starts.

any advice? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
At some point your sleep deficit can only be fixed by sleep. It's never easy to squeeze in. I had the same thing one semester and all I could finally get to fix it was a few nights of 7-9 hrs of sleep (unheard of any other day of the academic year).

Not the answer you wanted I'm sure, but it is a possibility.

viet coffee seems to do the trick, but there's not enough time to get it as i work right before class starts.

any advice? :confused:

are u talking about lee's iced cafe? I swear that stuff is like legal brown crack... lol.

as for advice, the only thing that works for me when I cannot for the life of me stay awake, is to take notes like a crazy person. You said that your teacher goes off of powerpoint.. do you have access to those notes before hand? If you do DONT print them out and just copy them down word for word in your notes. I know that some may say that you wont learn doing this but you wont learn anything sleeping in class either.

Either that or sit next to a friend that will ever so gently smack you when you fall asleep... or write on your face :laugh:

Bring a snack to nibble on. Just make sure you're not one of those annoying people crinkling a plastic wrapper all lecture or munching so loud others can't hear! Don't dress too comfortably, I try to stay cold so I will take off my hoodie in a cool room. Sip ice cold water in lecture. This stuff has worked for me in the past, but I will still find myself taking a "power nap" during lecture every now and then!

funny-pictures-cat-takes-power-nap.jpg

Sit front row dead center.

That's been the best thing for me, but I still do tend to doze off occasionally. In fact, I started to doze off in ecology (yea, no wonder!) yesterday... luckily my notebook fell and woke me up!

Sleep.A minimum of 5-6 hours every night and 8 hours on the weekends. Take a 30 minute midday nap as often as possible. If you don't give your body what it needs, it will take it by force!

If I don't sleep for at least 6-7 hours, my brain does NOT function. Some people might see that as a problem (in the vet school world) but I think I can pull it off 90% of the time with a bit of planning. I never (never never) pull an all-nighter before a test... whatever I learn is there in theory, but my focus goes out the window to the point that I space out for minutes at a time... which may or may not lead to dozing off.

If people fall asleep while DRIVING (moving down the freeway at 70mph) then imagine trying to stay awake in something like a boring lecture. Snacks, caffeine, and sufficient sleep!

Write down every word your prof says. The only way to stay awake when you are tired is to be active, passively listening will not cut it. Even if she hands out her powerpoint put it aside and start writing like crazy. It has worked for me 100% of the time.

Just let yourself fall asleep, but don't put your head down! After that initial head-jerk elbow fall of desk embarrassing moment when everyone looks around, you will be wide awake for the rest of the lecture!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just let yourself fall asleep, but don't put your head down! After that initial head-jerk elbow fall of desk embarrassing moment when everyone looks around, you will be wide awake for the rest of the lecture!

this happened to me in high school. i was sitting in the front desk, in front of the tv, during a video. i fell asleep with my head in my hand, and slammed my forehead on my desk. there was no way to hide it or play it off, as i was sitting right in front of the tv. this was the one and only time i ever fell asleep in class. i was extremely embarrassed!!!

Someone in my class once fell asleep and started snoring very, very loudly. No one bothered to wake him up, and he finally fell out of his chair thirty minutes later. Class is fun sometimes ;)

Anyways, I try not to have a huge breakfast or lunch right before class. That always puts me in nap mode.

To continue the funny nap stories, in middle school a boy in my math class fell asleep and the teacher noticed. So she had the class get up from their desks and surround the poor guy, then proceeded to yell "WAKE UP!". He shot about a foot out of his chair, looked around and turned bright red. Sounds extreme but I don't think it was the first time he had dozed off.

And the water trick does work, just be careful with how much if it is a long lecture because then you might miss class for another reason.

Does NoDoz make you jittery at all though?

get enough sleep. consider changing your schedule (getting up EARLIER to adjust your alert/drowsy periods.) make sure the meal before the class includes fiber, protein and a bit of fat which will digest slowly, which doesn't take as much energy as a fast digesting meal. Do jumping jacks or run right before class. Just a few minutes that get you huffing and puffing will help open airways, oxygenate tissues, pump some blood, and might alter consciousness enough to keep you awake. if you put your head down (fold yourself in half while standing) and get more blood in your head, it might help. If you carry a thermos type bag for lunch, take a cooling pack to class, and put it on feet, hand, etc, rotating it to other parts as needed. carry a menthol 'inhaler' and take a whiff. citrus essential oils can work as well. put a thick rubber band on your wrist and flick it frequently hard enough to wake yourself up. put something like a tennis ball against your spine between your shoulder blades and the chair, and make yourself keep it there the entire class (hard to sleep if you are aware of such a thing.) I haven't tried that one but had a classmate who used it. I also know soeone else who swore by eating super spicy food before/during class. hard to sleep if your head's on fire.

an easier (and more educational tactic) is to preview the info for class and see if you can come up with some questions and 'seek' out the answers during lecture. You could also, if your allowed to ask questions, try to come up with ones that will stump the professor.

get enough sleep. consider changing your schedule (getting up EARLIER to adjust your alert/drowsy periods.) make sure the meal before the class includes fiber, protein and a bit of fat which will digest slowly, which doesn't take as much energy as a fast digesting meal. Do jumping jacks or run right before class. Just a few minutes that get you huffing and puffing will help open airways, oxygenate tissues, pump some blood, and might alter consciousness enough to keep you awake. if you put your head down (fold yourself in half while standing) and get more blood in your head, it might help. If you carry a thermos type bag for lunch, take a cooling pack to class, and put it on feet, hand, etc, rotating it to other parts as needed. carry a menthol 'inhaler' and take a whiff. citrus essential oils can work as well. put a thick rubber band on your wrist and flick it frequently hard enough to wake yourself up. put something like a tennis ball against your spine between your shoulder blades and the chair, and make yourself keep it there the entire class (hard to sleep if you are aware of such a thing.) I haven't tried that one but had a classmate who used it. I also know soeone else who swore by eating super spicy food before/during class. hard to sleep if your head's on fire.

an easier (and more educational tactic) is to preview the info for class and see if you can come up with some questions and 'seek' out the answers during lecture. You could also, if your allowed to ask questions, try to come up with ones that will stump the professor.

Doing 80% of these things in public before a class will make you look like a ****. :rolleyes: Jumping jacks? Putting your head down? Whiffing a menthol inhaler? Sitting with a tennis ball and ice packs? The whispering of your classmates about "that crazy person in the front row" will keep you awake more than anything else. ;)

super spicy foods would cause me to drink tons of water which would result in me missing class due to frequent trips to the bathroom. not to mention my focus would be on how those spicy foods made me feel (especially if my "head was on fire") rather than on the lecture material.

are u talking about lee's iced cafe? I swear that stuff is like legal brown crack... lol.

haha jkim that was EXACTLY what i was talking about. after drinking that, normal coffee is just no good man...but good lord is the down horrible

failed again today, but i only dozed off for about 15 minutes early and managed to stay awake for the rest. :thumbup:

was gona try that writing the notes thing, but sleep crept up on me too quick and i was out b4 i even knew what had happened :luck:

Do something embarassing in class; something that gets your adrenalin going just a little or a lot. Kick over a water bottle so that bounces down a couple of stairs and you have to go retrieve it. Loudly knock your textbook off your desk. Ask a question. Eat a granola bar with a loud, crinkly wrapper.

Write down possible exam questions when the professor is lecturing, then go back and try to answer them 15 minutes later, while still keeping up with the lecture.

It's been happening to me lately as well - However i know the reason - sleep deprivation.

I go to the bathroom, splash cold water on my face (for a good min or two), slap myself a few times, remind my self that I am in friggin vet school, splash some more water on my face, dry off, and return to my seat... usually does the trick.

Do something embarassing in class; something that gets your adrenalin going just a little or a lot. Kick over a water bottle so that bounces down a couple of stairs and you have to go retrieve it. Loudly knock your textbook off your desk. Ask a question. Eat a granola bar with a loud, crinkly wrapper.

I personally don't think people should be distracting others in order to solve their sleeping problems! I'd be really annoyed.

I know this is an old post, but staying awake on little sleep (sometimes as little as 45 minutes on a bad day) has been part of my profession for the past 8 years. I have found that taking a pinch of Folgers crystals (or some other coffee in similar form) and putting it between your lower jaw and cheek will work wonders. It looks like you're dipping, but doesn't require all the spitting.

I agree... bring a snack to class

I agree... bring a snack to class

but nothing that comes in a loud wrapper because that annoys everyone around you. a banana is light, nutritious and quiet; that's what I like to bring

Cut out as much caffeine as possible and try to take as few naps as possible. I was seriously caffeine addicted freshman year of college and I'd drink two coffees and be falling asleep by my 10 AM class. I cut the caffeine and tried to retrain myself not to rely so much on naps and I was much, much better. Also the nice thing about cutting down your caffeine intake to when you just can't avoid is it actually WORKS when you need it to. I've gone from several cups of flavored coffee and soda a day to just a few times a month and getting to sleep is much easier too.

Whiffing a menthol inhaler

you can get this effectively by having a supply of altoids with you. Any time you start to feel sleepy, eat one. I swear by those (and I have 0 lecture tolerance, doesn't matter if I am front and center with the prof looking straight at me).

Write down every word your prof says. The only way to stay awake when you are tired is to be active, passively listening will not cut it. Even if she hands out her powerpoint put it aside and start writing like crazy. It has worked for me 100% of the time.

It's still possible to fall asleep. I did in O-chem (because I had a terrible lecturer) and Biochem (the class was way too early for me--8AM).

I am a note-taking nut... but I still had troubles when I was short on sleep or had food coma (post-lunch).

I also agree with the poster that said to get more sleep. Make the effort. It's the best thing. After that, I would recommend eating thoughtfully--watch out for sugars--they can give you a spike and then cause your blood sugar to drop and the drowsies to come on.

It strikes me now that I haul my butt out of bed at 6:30 AM every MWF for my 7:30 organic chemistry class. I sit there with a muffin bar and a small cup of iced tea and listen to the boring lecture... without falling asleep.

This leads me to believe that getting 6-8 hours of sleep really makes a huge difference. If I can get OUT of bed, I can stay awake. This has generally been the case throughout college... at least when benadryl was not involved. That changes everything.

So, it's not fail-proof (I'm sure a lot has to do with the person) but getting sufficient sleep really helps in this regard. Time management and knowing when to close the book and go to bed... lest you nod off the following day and put yourself even more behind.

Caffeine just does not work for me, at least not in the amounts I'm willing to consume. Those energy drinks taste nasty, give you the runs, and make for some strange heart palpitations in my experience. I drink coffee because I like it. :hungover:

Those energy drinks taste nasty, give you the runs, and make for some strange heart palpitations in my experience.

:laugh: best start to my day, ever! fantastic lol but i'd have to agree with that statement. i never consume caffeine so i was thinking my system was having some extreme adverse effect. guess i'm not the only one.

I get palpitations (as in irregular pulse) if I have caffeine regularly, like a cup of coffee a day. Needless to say I no longer have a coffee habit.

Caffeine just does not work for me, at least not in the amounts I'm willing to consume. Those energy drinks taste nasty, give you the runs, and make for some strange heart palpitations in my experience. I drink coffee because I like it. :hungover:

I hated energy drinks for so long, but last year, I started to drink a Lo-Carb Monster everyday (sometimes multiple cans). I didn't have too many of those horrible side effects other than being unable to sit through a two hour lecture without leaving to pee. I don't drink them anymore, which is good. For a caffeine fix, I have chocolate covered coffee beans. Three or four of those will have you bouncing off the walls.:soexcited: But I'm a morning person, so I don't usually need caffeine until nighttime when I need to keep studying.

I used to drink coffee to stay awake, but this Summer I started consuming way too much and must have done something to trigger a bodily response, because now I cannot tolerate even a little bit of coffee. Such a shame, as I love it and decaf is just not the same.

It makes me so incredibly sick now if I drink coffee, one time a few weeks ago the barista made my order wrong and didn't make it decaf and I ended up having to go home and spent the whole afternoon puking in the bathroom, NOT fun!

Now to stay awake I have a buddy system where my friends and I poke each other if we start to fall asleep. It works just fine, even though I get death glares from sleepy friends who just want to take a quickie nap! :laugh:

I subtly poke myself in the leg with my pencil. It's mechanical, though, so I'm not jabbing graphite into my leg or something.

Okay, not really. I try to scribble notes as frantically as possible. They're mostly illegible when I try to write that fast, but fortunately my professors post their slides online so I can mostly puzzle out what I was trying to write.

Cut out as much caffeine as possible and try to take as few naps as possible. I was seriously caffeine addicted freshman year of college and I'd drink two coffees and be falling asleep by my 10 AM class. I cut the caffeine and tried to retrain myself not to rely so much on naps and I was much, much better. Also the nice thing about cutting down your caffeine intake to when you just can't avoid is it actually WORKS when you need it to. I've gone from several cups of flavored coffee and soda a day to just a few times a month and getting to sleep is much easier too.

I would have to agree. I absolutely hate coffee, tea and energy drinks. Also, if I take a nap during the day I will not sleep at night so I avoid naps; have never taken a single nap since I started college. Every once in a great while I will have trouble staying awake in class but for the most part I am just fine no matter how much sleep I have had. I can run off of 4-8 hours of sleep with no problem, but any less than that or any more than that and I am a complete mess. Try to lay off of the coffee and only use it when absolutely needed. See if that works. Good Luck:luck:

On the caffeine addiction: I'm finishing up research, stumbling through midterms, trying to function as a normal human being... I over did it with the coffee today. I made myself totally sick by 230 and could barely focus. Had the heart beating out of my chest feeling and everything. Lesson: Do not drink (coffee) daily! (Especially strong or turbo shot!) And this is why I am still away and "BAR" lol! Whew! :laugh:

I once tried drinking something like 3 cups of coffee (back when I pretty much never used caffeine) for a test that I was worried about finishing - you know, to help me keep my momentum up. It completely backfired. I was so jittery I could barely express a complete thought, let alone remember what I had studied.

I find that the key to successful caffeine use is to always take it with a meal. Caffeine + empty stomach = jittery and cranky with no appetite.