Staying with Grad Students ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych_Ho

Lurking in the shadows...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- the interview invite thread is so big I wanted to open up a new thread about this issue, as there were some different thoughts about the pros/cons of staying with grad students vs. hotels/friends.

In general, it can be an advantage to stay with a grad student host if the program offers this. Not only do you get a chance to ask questions to the student, but the student will give feedback about you to the faculty, so it is simply a chance to give them more "data" about you and why you are so great!

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently stayed with a friend in a different school for one of my interviews. That was good because it gave me a different perspective of the area and of some of the other things going on in the city. Plus I got to hear how they perceive the students from the school I applied to. Always good to know how you will be seen by others.

I definitely agree that staying with a student is a good idea. However, on the other thread, people were concerned that if you opted not to stay with someone (like if you stayed with a family member in the area), that would come off poorly. I don't think this is the case at all--in fact, on the contrary, if your parents or best friend live right by the school, they might think it's weird that you chose to impose on the grad student by staying with them. Sometimes schools have dinners/ parties the night before-- that's a good time to get info about the interview. If that's not happening, you could always email a current student to ask questions beforehand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine (and feel free to tell me if I am wrong) that school's don't necessarily put too much stock in whether or not you choose to stay with a current student. It may be mildly interesting from a statistical standpoint, but I would be hesistant to assume that it has major effects on your application as a whole. There are so many extenuating circumstances and things that would effect that decision.

On that note, I again think its a great idea to stay with current students if possible.

It would be interesting to know how much value selection committees tend to place upon feedback from current students.
For example, I gave a recommendation to a preview student asking a faculty member whom I knew and who had a say in the student's admission to consider him for a full-tuition scholarship which he later got, but does the recommendation of a current student who hosts a preview really have much of an impact?

Any thoughts?

Do current students' "review" of you matter in your application? They can. I would not write them off as completely irrelevant to your admissions decision. Last time around, I interviewed at a program where the current students met with the faculty after the social gathering to give their input on applicants. Yeah, they likely do not matter as much as your professor(s) of interest, scores, LORs, etc., but anyone you interact with during the process (whether it be faculty, staff, secretaries, or students) may have some influence in the end. As there is really no way to tell, then play it safe and be respectful to everyone!

Okay, one would think this is common sense, however, I have seen some applicants act extremely rude to those they felt were "not important" in the grand scheme of things. On the other hand, I have also seen current students ignore applicants who did not elect to stay with a current grad student and/or go to the typical social gathering the day before/after. If they're ignoring you, then they may not be putting in a good word for you IF they do have any input regarding admissions.

Please do not read this as everyone must stay with a grad student. Most do understand that there are situations (mentioned in previous posts) where it is better for the applicant to make other arrangements. Heck, even if the program does offer you housing with another student, it is not guaranteed. Sometimes space is limited so you might not be able to stay with one even if you wanted to.

Sooo, if you run into a situation where others are ignoring you, just make sure you hook up with someone else and get yourself noticed (postively, people--please, don't get drunk at the social!). Make sure you interact, SMILE, and be a generally pleasant person. Otherwise, it may come back to bite you in the arse. Someone is always watching and/or listening . . .

G'luck to everyone!

I stayed with a grad student at almost all my interviews. However, once I stayed with one student the night before the interview and another student the night of the interview. It was exhausting spending two nights with students and I never did it again.

I stayed with a grad student at almost all my interviews. However, once I stayed with one student the night before the interview and another student the night of the interview. It was exhausting spending two nights with students and I never did it again.

Grad students may want to take you out to see the town or whatever other nefarious reason they may have to take you out. :D They may keep you up when you simply want to relax and get some sleep before the "big day". Weigh your pros and cons! Don't let paranoia force you to stay with a grad student if you know that you would prefer to stay in a hotel.

I stayed with a grad student this past weekend when I interviewed at the University of Tulsa. It wasn't bad. I slept on an air matress and was quite comfortable. She also had a cute beagle that adored me. But yes, I highly recommend it. It can give you insight into the program, get a sense of what is coming up, and also saves on money.

However, don't do anything too foolish. Apparently another grad student informed me that the previous year, an applicant stayed with a student during interview weekend. In the process, this applicant kicked the cat of the grad student (on purpose). That wasn't the sole reason he didn't get in, but it definitely influenced the decision. I'm sure no one here is that foolish, but it is worth stating the obvious sometimes. :cool:

. . .

However, don't do anything too foolish. Apparently another grad student informed me that the previous year, an applicant stayed with a student during interview weekend. In the process, this applicant kicked the cat of the grad student (on purpose). That wasn't the sole reason he didn't get in, but it definitely influenced the decision. I'm sure no one here is that foolish, but it is worth stating the obvious sometimes. :cool:

I am sometimes amazed at people's behavior. You would think that we would all know you do not dropkick the cat/dog across the room. You would think that we would all know not to get drunk at a social function comprised of all faculty members, current grad students, and applicants. You would think . . . well, you get the point, yet people still do it. Silly, silly people!

As a current grad student, I can tell you straight up: we do get asked our opinions of prospectives, and these opinions do, occasionally, make a difference. Good luck everyone!