Staying with Student Hosts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badlydrawnvik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the general concensus is on staying with student hosts. Is it more worth it to guarantee the good night's sleep at a hotel? I'm a little worried about distractions or noise at a student's place. Did people who stayed with students have a comfortable stay and good night's sleep that prepared them well for their interview? I have issues with sleeping when there's noise around me, unless it's just a daytime nap for some reason...

Members don't see this ad.

while you are trying to be your best during your interview to hopefully get an acceptance, this is a time for you to decide if a particular school is right for you, and staying with a student host is a great way to get a better idea. It could perhaps give you something to talk about in your interview.

Staying with a student worked well for me. Student hosts are pretty respectful of your needs--I told my student host I wanted to go to bed early and she and her housemates vacated the living room and let me get to sleep. Also, staying with a student is free. That's a big deal--hotel bills add up fast!

For other people who've stayed with student hosts, did you send thank-you notes? thank-you gifts? I sent a thank-you email, but not card in the mail. I was also thinking that it might be nice to send a CD or a Starbucks gift card or something to say 'thank you'...is that unnecessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
What should we bring with us when we stay with student hosts? So far I'm thinking towels, toiletries, and sleeping bag. What else do you guys who've done this already recommend?

They usually provide all linens and towels. A little gift or at least a card or e-mail is nice. You will learn way more from them than you ever will from the school. so take advantage of the opportunity.

I caution you only to try not to drop a big one in the toilet first thing in the morning, if the plumbing is at all sketchy. It is very stressful to be unplugging the toilet while you are wearing your interview suit.

I always stay with student hosts, unless I have friends/family in the region. I admit, I don't get a lot of sleep (I'm a "lousy" sleeper prone to insomnia), but I would just never be able to afford the hotel bills. Also, many student hosts are able to pick you up at the airport, and take you (or at least show you the way) to the interview building. They know the campus; you feel much better than if you were trying to figure out everything in an unfamiliar place by yourself. But if you have the money and must have a good night's sleep to perform well (I'm used to performing without sleep), then by all means do the hotel.

So far I've brought a little gift to all my student hosts when I go. When I went to UCinn last cycle, I brought my host and his suitemates shot glasses with the "Cal" logo (I'm Berkeley grad), and this cycle when I went to UI Carver, I brought my host a tin of Chinese eggroll/cookie type things (dan4 juan3, for those of you who know pinyin).

We're free, and usually much closer to the school. We're usually happy to have you guys over because first off, we volunteer (as far as I know. maybe some schools are weird) and get stuff from our school for it, hehe. (I pay for my medical school books this way). And yeah, we will tell u more about the school than the school will tell you. I'd love a thank you gift, but honestly, there's no need and it's not expected at all. It's probably a waste of money unless that student got you into the school. :laugh: But still, your discretion. i'm sure all schools are a bit different.

As for linens, towels, and sleeping bags, I guess that depends on the student. I personally have them use my couch in teh living room and give them a sheet and a pillow. and if they ever wanted a towel, they'd just have to ask. Some friends don't havea couch, so I guess a sleeping bag might be a good idea. But my friend who does this has a sleeping bag he gives them. The best idea would be to ask your student host what you should bring with you. Since it will vary from host to host.