Stem Cell Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK...I'm about to reveal a smidge of ignorance; but I would greatly appreciate some enlightenment!! On the interview feedback page, there are several referrals to questions on stem-cell research. Is this where undifferentiated human cells or grown in hosts/cultures for eventual use in organ/tissue replacement?

Whomever choses to respond, please do so by clicking to e-mail me.

Sincere Thanks,

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad.

Dave,

Stem cell research is very hot right now. It may be useful for growing skin grafts and perhaps repairing a person's immune system (due to AIDS or leukemia). I think researchers are trying to figure out how to isolate stem cells from the patient's own body, so that if they retransfuse them or transplant the skin or organs back into the patient's own body they won't be rejected as non-self because the body recognizes the antigens as self-tissue. The technology isn't advanced enough to grow organs, but promising work on skin grafts and stem cells from blood looks hopeful. Nick commented on angiogenesis, I read recently two biotech companies are working on making recombinant FGF and VEGF growth factors. This is great because these growth factors may be able to grow new coronary arteries for cardiac patients who have had so many bypass surgeries and angioplasties that this is their only hope of surviving. It appears that by the time we start practicing medicine, medicine will become more molecular rather than pharmacological. The next frontier in research is in gene therapy.....

EDGAR