Stem Cell Therapies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zarniwoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With Stem Cell clinics popping up all over the US and the world, what looked like cutting edge science with game changing therapeutic applications now looks like a joke, over-run by snake oil salesmen. Will "real" stem cell therapies ever happen, or are charlatans going to be the norm in our lifetimes?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it work for baldness? I am asking for a friend

Reactions: 1 users
With Stem Cell clinics popping up all over the US and the world, what looked like cutting edge science with game changing therapeutic applications now looks like a joke, over-run by snake oil salesmen. Will "real" stem cell therapies ever happen, or are charlatans going to be the norm in our lifetimes?

Any thoughts?

Lonzo Ball of the Lakers had stem cell injections so it's not a joke it does work. Other NBA players have done the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lonzo Ball of the Lakers had stem cell injections so it's not a joke it does work. Other NBA players have done the same.
Is there true proof the stem cell injections did anything? A double blinded control study showing better outcomes than placebo? Or just random anecdotes? Because random anecdotes are literally how snake-oil salesman sell their products.

Is there true proof the stem cell injections did anything? A double blinded control study showing better outcomes than placebo? Or just random anecdotes? Because random anecdotes are literally how snake-oil salesman sell their products.

Anecdotal medicine makes more money than evidence based medicine!

Examples of extremely profitable anecdotal medicine: Theranos, Snake oil, CAP proficiency testing, CAP inspections, CAP rules and regulations

Reactions: 1 user
I like all those free testosterone commercials on TV. Nugenix commercials crack me up when Frank Thomas says "she'll like it too."

Father time is undefeated. People just need to accept it.

I am a researcher in this field and to my knowledge all data points toward stem cell injections for ortho and neuro regeneration being ineffective. The fiasco in florida with eye injections was really bad. I have seen a few papers claiming stem cell injection (mesenchymal primarily) leads to cardiac muscle regeneration post-MI. Many red flags from these papers and would not be surprised if they are eventually retracted for data fabrication.

In ortho , things like platelet-rich-plasma have the least disappointing outcomes with some studies showing a slight benefit for things like osteoarthritis or rotator cuff injury, but I believe if meta-analyses have shown no benefit for these and other conditions. It seems like platelet rich plasma injections can be lucrative as you have to pay out of pocket ($1-2k / injection).

Honestly, the closest we have come to regeneration and encouraging stem cell expansion is to undergo periods of fasting (see Valter Longos series of papers on intermittent fasting). I believe this phenomenon because of its effect on longevity and functional status of elderly. It is impressive how good not eating , or eating less can be for you. Now if I only I could follow this regimen!