Step 1 after M2 or M3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandasaregreat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. I am debating between a school who takes step1 after M3 or after M2. I was hoping someone could help me decipher which scenario is better...
The school who takes step 1 after M3 for me is FIU
The school who takes step 1 after M2 for me is MCG
Now I know FIU's step 1 average is about 240. But comparing match lists, MCG is still able to have people match into derm, vascular surgery (which is what I want), IR, and plastics...so competitive residencies...while FIU rarely/never does.
MCG is a more established school with its own hospital, so should I chose FIU still because of trying to get a higher step 1 score?
I am an average test taker when it comes to standardized tests, broke 2000 on SAT & at around 70% on MCAT, so some extra points could help by having it after 3rd year...but the extra points won't matter if the school hinders me from being able to match competitively. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I know FIU's step 1 average is about 240
...it is? That would be like Harvard/Hopkins level step average?

FIU just graduated its very first class a few years ago right, they're very new. Everything I've heard about step score is that it depends on the student and the amount of prep they do, far more than the curriculum changes that schools will hype up. I'd probably go MCG if all else (costs, location preferences, etc) is equal for you

FIU just graduated its very first class a few years ago right, they're very new. Everything I've heard about step score is that it depends on the student and the amount of prep they do, far more than the curriculum changes that schools will hype up. I'd probably go MCG if all else (costs, location preferences, etc) is equal for you
Okay! But yes that is what the school says...unless they are lying. I have heard though that they may hold back students a year if they feel they are not ready to take the step exam which may inflate scores?

I'd be a little skeptical of the 240 average knowing they prevent some people from taking it, yeah. What you personally will score is likely to be the same regardless of which place you attend is the big takeaway. Go to where you'd rather be a student, costs less, is closer to family, or whatever else. If there are no such factors for you in this decision, then Augusta has the advantage of being much more established.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be a little skeptical of the 240 average knowing they prevent some people from taking it, yeah. What you personally will score is likely to be the same regardless of which place you attend is the big takeaway. Go to where you'd rather be a student, costs less, is closer to family, or whatever else. If there are no such factors for you in this decision, then Augusta has the advantage of being much more established.
okay thank you!

Honestly, I don't think that going to a particular school necessarily improves or diminishes your chances at scoring well on STEP1. That test ultimately boils down to how much time and effort you put in yourself. The school itself has very little impact on that, regardless of what "data" says. People who are good test takers score better on their MCATs and will go to "higher" tier schools and score well on STEPs and go to better residencies. The common theme? People who are good test takers.

From a practical standpoint I'd rather get STEP1 out of the way sooner rather than have that on your mind during MS3 year where you're neck deep in clinicals and getting the feel of actually learning and working. The last thing you want to do is study and worry about STEP1.

Reactions: 1 user
Whichever school gives you the more time off to study will give you the highest step one score.

Reactions: 1 users

Med school is different than undergrad. Many of the people who made it to med school work really hard, and Step is a test of how hard you studied (for the most part) and a small part how well your school's curriculum is. My school's average has been 240-243 for the past few years- and we are not top 50. This number is from official administrative/curriculum review documents, so they are trustworthy.

As many people at Hopkins score in the 220s as do at many other schools

Med school is different than undergrad. Many of the people who made it to med school work really hard, and Step is a test of how hard you studied (for the most part) and a small part how well your school's curriculum is. My school's average has been 240-243 for the past few years- and we are not top 50. This number is from official administrative/curriculum review documents, so they are trustworthy.

As many people at Hopkins score in the 220s as do at many other schools
So are you saying go to the school with the higher step average? Or is it all dependent on the person?

My school's average has been 240-243 for the past few years- and we are not top 50.
And does your school control who sits for the test? I know U Missouri usually does well but I'm extremely skeptical your school is actually hitting the highest in the country save maybe for WashU/Penn year after year

And does your school control who sits for the test? I know U Missouri usually does well but I'm extremely skeptical your school is actually hitting the highest in the country save maybe for WashU/Penn year after year
No, they don't control it at all. The only requirement is that you pass the preclinical courses before you take the exam. There is no collection of average Step scores as far as I know, so are you just assuming that top schools have the highest averages? Or is there actual evidence for that?

Step is a test of basically pure memorization. Clinical medicine requires you to synthesize info and think through issues, but Step 1 not so much. Our class profile is around 33 MCAT, 3.8 gpa and then our grades are mostly NBME based, so my studying is done from UWorld, Kaplan qbanks, Robbins, research papers, and then extra details from lecture. We have a 6 week dedicated period. With the entire class studying from these resources, a 240 Step average isn't unfathomable. I also don't think it's unreasonable to believe that other schools have similarly high Step averages.

@pandasaregreat It's a mix. You want a school whose curriculum is supportive in terms of allowing you to do a lot of Step learning during the preclinical years, but it still comes down to how much study time you put in. I'm against taking Step after 3rd year because you want to know which specialties you are competitive for before starting 3rd yr. If you are OOS for FIU, you'd be insane to be willing to pay their tuition.

US News has step scores behind the pay wall. If you want to PM me the school I can look up and see how close their value lines up to low 240s

No, they don't control it at all. The only requirement is that you pass the preclinical courses before you take the exam. There is no collection of average Step scores as far as I know, so are you just assuming that top schools have the highest averages? Or is there actual evidence for that?

Step is a test of basically pure memorization. Clinical medicine requires you to synthesize info and think through issues, but Step 1 not so much. Our class profile is around 33 MCAT, 3.8 gpa and then our grades are mostly NBME based, so my studying is done from UWorld, Kaplan qbanks, Robbins, research papers, and then extra details from lecture. We have a 6 week dedicated period. With the entire class studying from these resources, a 240 Step average isn't unfathomable. I also don't think it's unreasonable to believe that other schools have similarly high Step averages.

@pandasaregreat It's a mix. You want a school whose curriculum is supportive in terms of allowing you to do a lot of Step learning during the preclinical years, but it still comes down to how much study time you put in. I'm against taking Step after 3rd year because you want to know which specialties you are competitive for before starting 3rd yr. If you are OOS for FIU, you'd be insane to be willing to pay their tuition.
I am in state for FIU, but MCG would only be slightly more money once I factor in the cost of living. So it's basically a wash with price. So you reccomend MCG?