Step 1 and 2 timing for current M2s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliceofbattenberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Our school has given us some flexibility in terms of when we want to take Step 1 and Step 2, and I'm having trouble wading through the many pros and cons for these options, especially since getting dates with Prometric has become nearly impossible. My school is 2-4-2 and I will have done half my clerkships pre-PhD.

Options as I see them: (1) take Step 1 this summer, may be converted to pass/fail, and take Step 2 when I come back from PhD; (2) take Step 2 this summer, take Step 1 pass/fail after PhD, hopefully not too much Step 2 score creep by then; (3) take Step 1 and Step 2 this summer (assuming neither of my August Prometric dates get cancelled), have both exams off my plate but uncertainty about if Step 1 will be reported p/f or numeric and still risk of Step 2 score creep.

I feel lucky to have this flexibility, but having never taken either of these exams, it's hard for me to gauge how different it would be to prepare for a pass/fail exam and how much I should worry about Step 2 score creep if I take it now. There's an inherent benefit to having exams done and off my plate, but I know myself, and I'm not the strongest pre-clinical student, so I imagine that having pass/fail Step 1 would probably be better for me.

If you are making this choice yourself, or if you have some experience that you think would be helpful, I'd greatly appreciate your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

At the minimum I would take step 1 before the PhD, even with the P/F - quoting what I wrote in a previous post with a similar question about step 1 below. If you don't feel strong as a pre-clinical student I would further recommend step 1 before the PhD while the knowledge is intact.

"Since step 1 would be P/F by the time you re-enter it could be advantageous. However, most students have a passing thought that they'll keep up with the material in one way or another during the PhD, and 99% don't actually do. Focusing on both is difficult and they require different mindsets. If re-learning 2 years of medical school in a matter of 1-2 months to earn a passing score is something you're 100% confident in, then go ahead. But my recommendation leans toward enjoying the free time and flexibility that a PhD will give you instead of having a board exam to worry about. You also cannot predict how and when your PhD will end. Writing a thesis and studying for step 1 simultaneously will not be possible. "

I actually have a similar choice ahead of me as my program does the whole core clinical year during M2. What I've heard is that by June there should be some decisions made regarding whether Step 1 will be retroactively made P/F for everyone who takes it now before it's made officially P/F in 2022. Regardless, my thought is that by 2025 or so when applying to residency, there's a high likelihood a 3 digit score will be seen as P/F anyway. So my game plan is to finish out M2 later this summer and then study for Step 1 and take it. Then I'll study for Step 2 and take it before officially starting PhD as well. Not sure if that's an ideal timeline but I think it makes sense given the circumstances. Definitely don't want to think about board exams during/right after PhD.