Step 1 during winter due to low COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTsksk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Ended up opting out of Step 1 this summer due to family obligations but was able to take COMLEX and got a 451. Since it's pretty low I was wondering if it would be better to take step 1 during winter to increase my chances to stay in TX for Neuro, Psych, FM, or EM. My last 3 rotations before winter break are psych, OMM, and neuro which have a history of being pretty calm. Should I just bypass step and just focus on comlex 2? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe it's just exposure bias but it's unbelievable the amount of medically legitimate delusional thinking I see among DO students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I respect your responses but I guess I don't fully understand the magical or delusional thinking. Three weeks before I was supposed to take step 1 I was scoring between 210-220 on NBME's. My studying just took a major hit because of our newborn daughter and that I had to take care of her more than planned. I figured, if I got to that point with the NBME's then I could've scored decently on the real thing with those extra weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can actually get quality study time in during rotations I dont see why not. Before you actually take it make sure you are scoring well above passing and consistantly getting scores you would be happy with on NBME's. I think having a USMLE score of >220 would open more doors for you than a 450 COMLEX.

Ahhh, you left that important detail out... a life event. Congrats on the baby...start planning for college, because they grow up fast. Mine are 13 and 10 now, and they were babies yesterday.

In that case, go for USMLE, BUT ONLY WHEN YOU ARE 100% READY FOR IT!

I respect your responses but I guess I don't fully understand the magical or delusional thinking. Three weeks before I was supposed to take step 1 I was scoring between 210-220 on NBME's. My studying just took a major hit because of our newborn daughter and that I had to take care of her more than planned. I figured, if I got to that point with the NBME's then I could've scored decently on the real thing with those extra weeks.

Ok....So you have a somewhat reasonable explanation for your garbage comlex score. If you had said that this would be an entirely different conversation. I would 100% recommend taking the USMLE if you think you can break 215. It is just going to be hard to find the time and stay disciplined while on rotations. I do know people who have done it though. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Getting some help from our residency advisor to get a numbers perspective on my chance of matching with no step and a good comlex 2.

What options does a COMLEX 1 with 451 even have? Previous threads mentioned that DO IM, FM, Psych, EM are still pretty much open depending on auditions? Is that true? Of course, ACGME programs will probably require at least 220+ for any of the above specialties.

I never understood having a newborn in med school, esp right around board exam time. You worked hard all two years to have everything wasted because of low board scores. Makes no damn sense.

I never understood having a newborn in med school, esp right around board exam time. You worked hard all two years to have everything wasted because of low board scores. Makes no damn sense.
Some people may not plan to be a new parent at that time. And some may value a family more than a competitive residency. I don't think it's left to you to judge people's life choices.

Reactions: 6 users

What's the point of this statement? It doesn't help the OP at all and to be honest it's callous as sh**.

Reactions: 2 users

Helpful response.

And lol that everything is wasted by getting a 451. The world will not end and I'm sure OP will have a wonderful career with his family.

Getting 7 million on the comlex isn't necessary to have a happy life.