Step 1 for NON-US IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mark Koch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so what score would be "Good enough" and do you have to have research to match?

Members don't see this ad.

its arbitrary but Id say anything above 230, No but it will boost your chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No "good enough" score, but typically you need 10 points above the cut for AMG to be competitive (e.g., if "X" program's cut for AMG is 220, you should have >230). For the research question, you do not need research to match, but it can never hurt to have it (especially in Neuro, where much research to be done remains).

Members don't see this ad :)
No "good enough" score, but typically you need 10 points above the cut for AMG to be competitive (e.g., if "X" program's cut for AMG is 220, you should have >230). For the research question, you do not need research to match, but it can never hurt to have it (especially in Neuro, where much research to be done remains).
What score is needed to be competitive for DO's?

What score is needed to be competitive for DO's?
Based on the outcome of last match (about 10 DO applicants that I know of including myself), I’d say 230+ will get you invitations from most programs, aside from the top 30 or so on doximity.

I also noticed that 230 plus showing real commitment (auditions, research, AAN conferences) > 250 without any of that

so if you have 240+ on step 1 and step 2 and 2-3 months of US clinical experience,IMG with No visa and research, will chances be decent?

Most places have filters for step scores. Even after that there are other ways to screen candidates because programs are overwhelmed with applications. If you have someone who can call the program for you, it will help bring up your application.