Step 1-How did you decide how much time you'd spend on each subject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time did you know to devote to each subject? For example, I know there isn't much anatomy at all, but then again, I don't remember my anatomy anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Kygrl,
Did you read what I wrote in the sticky on top?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=108020

There are a few links to a sample schedules in there. Anatomy is definitely one of the more tricky subjects to study because you remember that you knew so much of it before, and you feel inadequate when you study for it for the USMLE because you know so little of what you once knew now. Anyways, I would just adivise you to remember that you are not studying for one of your 1st year anatomy exams, the USMLE is very different. I would just memorize all of the structures and facts written in First Aid for anatomy, you really shouldn't spend more then 2-3 days on it. Anyways, after that, I would just go by what proportion a subject is covered on in First Aid. If First aid dedicates 10 pages towards physio and 2 pages towards embryo, then you should roughly be spending 5 times more time studying for physio. You can smudge a little with the subjects that you aren't too comfortable with, but I definitely would not get bogged down studying a topic in embryo, biochem, or anatomy just because you don't quite get it or just remember knowing much more of it during first year because it's very low yield and even if it does show up on your exam, it will probably only be 1 question. A great example of how useful first aid is in anatomy is the brachial plexus. Definitely memorize that and know the branches of that since it's in first aid, it showed up a number of times on my step I exam. It was important, so first aid included it. Good luck studying!

KyGrlDr2B said:
How much time did you know to devote to each subject? For example, I know there isn't much anatomy at all, but then again, I don't remember my anatomy anymore.

And the old crew is back...whenever I see your name...i just think "sex lube"...

I remember there being a lot of path.... doing the review book for Robbins probably wouldn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scooby Doo said:
And the old crew is back...whenever I see your name...i just think "sex lube"...

to the ass who gave me bad karma for this comment...dude..get over yourself....I know the chick...

Dude..this karma crap is lame...

Scoob,

Your Karma is back! I've been reading your posts off and on for >2yrs, you seem like a decent guy who deserves good karma!

Foxy

FoxyDoc said:
Scoob,

Your Karma is back! I've been reading your posts off and on for >2yrs, you seem like a decent guy who deserves good karma!

Foxy

haha..yay! but now I've become less pimp..if you refer to my last post ....

haha....So foxy, when you coming to visit me in NYC? :)

It's nice to see that even after you've been away for awhile, the "old" faces are still here - nice to see everyone :)

Scooby Doo said:

Scooby, I never said that WASN'T what it meant. ;) (Whoever gave you bad karma for that, I'll counteract it)

And yes, I miss the old crew, the lounge isn't the same. You guys need to keep in touch more!

KyGrlDr2B said:
Scooby, I never said that WASN'T what it meant. ;) (Whoever gave you bad karma for that, I'll counteract it)

And yes, I miss the old crew, the lounge isn't the same. You guys need to keep in touch more!

Ah...well I tihnk about it...but I don't think we would ever NEED it if we were hookin up ;)