Step 1 P/F: Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has there been any new news about a concrete date for when Step 1 is becoming P/F?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok who had a subset of the test pool gets 25% of the test shortened on their bingo card

I picture the meeting about that went something like this (It’s Always Sunny characters of course):

Charlie: “guys I have this great idea, let’s give TWO different tests to people. It will be amazing”

Mac, Dennis, and Dee NBME board members: “We dunno man, seems kind of extreme.”

CEO Frank ponders momentarily: “brilliant, SEND IT”

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I picture the meeting about that went something like this (It’s Always Sunny characters of course):

Charlie: “guys I have this great idea, let’s give TWO different tests to people. It will be amazing”

Mac, Dennis, and Dee NBME board members: “We dunno man, seems kind of extreme.”

CEO Frank ponders momentarily: “brilliant, SEND IT”
Ahh Charlie. Always has to a be wild card lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
idk. to avoid misusing Steps while giving PDs something standardized to compare :shrug:

How does that solve it? All that does is replace step with another scored test people will obsess over, and we’ll have to take yet another exam. Sounds like a lose lose for everyone.

How does that solve it? All that does is replace step with another scored test people will obsess over, and we’ll have to take yet another exam. Sounds like a lose lose for everyone.

Step was at least P/F before that worked its purpose well before it got changed for the worse. People obsessing over tests is something that can't be avoided as long as there's a need for any standardized comparison. People obsess over preclinical grades too even though they don't matter.

Step was at least P/F before that worked its purpose well before it got changed for the worse. People obsessing over tests is something that can't be avoided as long as there's a need for any standardized comparison. People obsess over preclinical grades too even though they don't matter.

Yeah but they didn’t have another test they had to take on top of it.

I'm ok with converting all Steps P/F and go back to the old days but i was trying to think of a way to have some standardization in place since that's pretty much the only reason to keep Steps scored.

Yeah I’m okay with that too, just not with implementing another huge exam. We take enough exams.

I could see programs asking for individual shelf scores after this. It's not "another" test that we're not already taking, it's standardized, and there are several data points such that a single test day wouldn't determine one's entire grade. It would just matter more going forward

Reactions: 1 users